59 A Coupe - Getting back on the project band wagon

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Bob Lynch
356 Fan

59 A Coupe - Getting back on the project band wagon

#1 Post by Bob Lynch »

Thought i would start this thread, since i am going to have questions, need some help and to document it.

I'm doing it here since my 356 coupe is not a stock one to begin with.
Some fun stuff...
I've owned it since 1993, I'm the 2nd owner that i can find and have the records going back a long way.
It's been mostly in storage since i had Denny Akers rebuild the motor 6-7 years ago (1800cc big bore on a 912 engine with Euro heat), I redid the seats and interior Leather (Autos Intl) at about the same time, and lowered the rear (which will be a project to raise since its too low right now). I also did a dual circuit master and front Classic and speed parts disc conversion on it.
I need to replace the tires and would like to change out the wheels to Technomag's at some point. I may paint/powder coat another set of steels for it as well that i have.

So to have some fun with it and get acquainted to it again, not to mention start the getting it ready for the spring and summer process, i thought i would see what i had in my parts stash and do a couple of long put off projects.

First up is a Nardi Torino (?) Steering wheel and a custom hub that i had drilled for this wheel and to accept the standard Momo Steering wheel pattern (at one point i did autocross my 356 using this hub and a suede momo wheel, prior to the engine rebuild) but never put this one on.. I think i have had this wheel for 10+ years

I also found everything except for gauges to do a 12v conversion on it as well.... I really need to improve the lighting situation on it, and hopefully come up with a more effective wiper solution (2 speed would be nice)...

Its not stock, I'm not worried about making it a show car, and i would like to drive it more, so we'll see where the projects go from here.
Attachments
356-1.JPG
356Nardi.JPG
59' 356 A coupe

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

Re: 59 A Coupe - Getting back on the project band wagon

#2 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Love the '59.

Looking forward to seeing it out on the road.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#3 Post by Norm Miller »

Bob,
Nice car.
Get rid of the black knob on the cigar lighter and the black radio block out and she's good to go.
Norm

chris romney
356 Fan

#4 Post by chris romney »

If you don't want to do the 12 volt conversion, an LED conversion will improve your lighting situation dramatically. There are several threads on the subject here if you want to look into it further. If Denny rebuilt your motor I'm assuming you're somewhere in the Seattle area. Hope to see you out on the road when the monsoons stop.

Chris

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Should be a great drive with that engine. My brother in Quinault said he got 5 inches the other day.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.