Calling all Outlaws with Type IV 914 Motor! Talk to Us!!

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

Calling all Outlaws with Type IV 914 Motor! Talk to Us!!

#1 Post by Conrad Carter »

I have a 2054cc 914. It has KB forged Pistons. 138 hp @ 6,000 rpm. Check out Dyno run at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVxSIES50o8. TM-25 Type IV. Chico Performance Racing built in 2009. Dual 2 throat Webers. DTM shroud. SyncLink throttle system. Tangerine exhaust.
Conrad

ScottBerry
356 Fan

Re: Calling all Outlaws with Type IV 914 Motor! Talk to Us!!

#2 Post by ScottBerry »

This is a thread I will be watching - hope folks chime in. I am seriously considering dropping this. Type of engine my 356bt5.
1960 356B (110196) restoration project in progress
1968 912 Restoration Complete

Conrad Carter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Conrad Carter »

Scott,
So far I seem to be only person on this site to have a car with these modifications. I was hoping to get a lot of responses but so far nada. Keeping my fingers crossed for more.
Conrad

Bruce Edge
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bruce Edge »

Hello Conrad and Scott,
Conrad is the motor you described in your car, are you needing any technical info or help? If so I would glad to help or direct you in the right direction. When it comes to type IV conversions in 356's there is always controversy. There is a few of us that have made this choice for our hard driving cars, but hesitate to comment because of redicule . Like I said if I can help let me know on or off line.

Bruce
Bruce Edge

Conrad Carter
356 Fan

#5 Post by Conrad Carter »

Bruce, do you have heat on your car?

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#6 Post by Greg Bryan »

I doubt if the lack of response has anything to do with people frowning on the installation of Type 4 motors in a 356, but more from the lack of actual examples. You've correctly chosen the Outlaw Forum, so anything goes!
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

I have slightly considered such a conversion, but between the fact it is complicated and expensive, and my fear that it would sound like a 914, I never acted on it. I know a Type 4 engine is probably a lot more durable than a 356 engine but this isn't about common sense anyway. It doesn't seem like a bad idea though.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bruce Edge
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bruce Edge »

Hi Conrad, I am use a electric accessory heater, found it at Truck Stop. Comes with bracket so you can snap it in and out. I have mine mounted under dash at glove box. Let it blow on the wife. It does ok, but would like one with more output. If I come up with anything better I'll let you know.

Bruce
Bruce Edge

Bruce Edge
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bruce Edge »

Hi Martin, I made my conversion after the crank shaft broke in my 62 B with C motor. I already had the type iv motor built for another car. Yes, the type iv motor and conversion is expensive if built correctly. For me it made a wonderful Interstate driver which can run effortlessly with modern traffic. Oh, the sound is music to me, straight cut gears and headers, their gona know you are a Outlaw.

Bruce
Bruce Edge

Conrad Carter
356 Fan

#10 Post by Conrad Carter »

My outlaw is pretty mild. It looks original except for a big chrome muffler. Pulls great in 1st & 2nd gears. Sounds like a 356 to me. Love the extra power!! Keeps up with traffic effortlessly, even on interstate.
Conrad

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#11 Post by Paul Kust »

I have an extra '14 motor sitting in my shop, what are the solutions to the trans and flywheel interface,
Also have you gone with a 12 volt starter setup? Just a question off the top of my head.
Do any of you have a list of components that are needed for this conversion? No sense reinventing the wheel. Thanks.
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

Conrad Carter
356 Fan

#12 Post by Conrad Carter »

There are several lists/articles around. None of them are what I need. Of course, depends on whether you want to run a generator or alternator. Also, what amp output do you want to go with? Does install have to appear totally stock? Like I said, lots of questions and answers require different lists!

I do plan to go to 12 volt at some point. Currently collection items needed.

Short list includes all the light bulbs. Also the Multi-Gauge as well as sending units have to be 12 volt. The starter will be fine but you need a 12 volt Bendix. Windshield wiper & switch must be replaced with 12 volt unit. Horns and most radios will be ok though horns will be LOUD! And, of course, alternator/generator. 12 volt regulator will be needed for generator. Many alternators are internally regulated.Also, all the 6 volt relays will have to be upgraded to 12 v. If you have electric sunroof or power antenna, they will need to be addressed. And last but not least, a 12 volt battery.

What have I left out? FWIW, some say a 12 volt-to-6 volt step down transformer can be used to enable gauges and other items to function properly without breaking the bank. They may be right.

I can report my 63 starts and runs fine with 6 volts. Problem is I want to run fog lights and currently have an electric fuel pump to run my 2 liter 914 engine. Would like to run a radar detector as well. And I would like to run an electric heater (have headers so NO heat). So, I m looking at a high output alternator & am not concerned about stock appearing engine bay.
Conrad

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#13 Post by Paul Kust »

Love the detailed answer to my question above :shock:
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#14 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

There is one down here.
Attachments
AD01.jpg

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#15 Post by Norm Miller »

59 Coupe with 2L 914 engine.
Home built upright cooling.

The camera that produced this image has been terminated.

Norm
Attachments
T100 010.jpg