New to the Registry-Building two A's

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#571 Post by Norm Miller »

Rusty, GRENADE

It also puts additional wear on the shift forks. Reconsider.

Norm

#572 Post by Guest »

Martin Boecker wrote:
Rusty Willey wrote: Image
.... if that's the one that's going to be restored, you sat yourself quite a challenge .. :shock:
That was the first response to your post !!
Rusty Willey wrote: Image
I'd say:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ! :wink:

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#573 Post by Rusty Willey »

I think that was a pretty accurate statement. It WAS quite a challenge :wink: :wink: :wink: Now just little challenges, like yesterday when I went to run a quick errand and the key snapped off in the ignition :? :? :? :? (I started it with a screwdriver and drove to the hardware store to buy some needle nose pliers to pull it out) or also yesterday, dragging that stupid zoom tube exhaust and again bending up the rear apron :x :x :x ( I pulled off the Zoom) Good news is I have driver stories now not just project stories. I just walked outside of work to snap this photo, here is the same car, just two years later sitting on main street in Telluride like it does most every day after shuttling me the few miles to work. It is fair to say that nowadays I am pretty proud of my project and have started to forget about all of the ups and downs of the build. Oh yeah, there is this ENORMOUS thread to remind me!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Shane Balkowitsch
356 Fan

Pride

#574 Post by Shane Balkowitsch »

Rusty Willey wrote: It is fair to say that nowadays I am pretty proud of my project and have started to forget about all of the ups and downs of the build. Oh yeah, there is this ENORMOUS thread to remind me!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Dear Rusty, as you should be, very proud. Very happy for you. LABOR of Love for sure.

Thanks,
Shane
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw
Don't Hate Me for My Outlaw Tendencies
356 Registry Member #: 31354
http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72623#72623

Ralph D
356 Fan

#575 Post by Ralph D »

Love your project!

If you're going to paint a pinup on it I really think you should go with exhaust tips that simulate a machine gun barrel. Choices: a German car could go with an MG34 looking barrel. Or if an American pinup go with something that looks like an M1919.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1919_Browning_machine_gun

the M1919 would be a lot easier to replicate. The MG34 has a funky muzzle and insane machining. I took a pic of the MG34 on my Kubel to show detail:

'60 Porsche Super 90
'60 Porsche Coupe

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#576 Post by Rusty Willey »

Great idea Ralph!!! I have a Bugpack exhaust left over from an old engine project I was going to try. I need something that won't hang down but also will tuck under the rear of the car. I wouldn't mind just bending tubes to come out close to the stock location and with that machine gun idea spinning around in my head now................. maybe I shouldn't have taken off the grenade shifter and replaced it with a plain ol knob. My car does look a bit like a weapon!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Curt Vesely
356 Fan

#577 Post by Curt Vesely »

Rusty,

If you go with MG 42 barrels, how about Adolf Galland's Micky Mouse for nose art ?

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a ... 0029551001

Or Eric Hartman http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 9,r:17,s:0

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#578 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Love it! Galland's my vote. Being an aircraft junkie since 1955, I know what you're talking about. Mickey Mouse with a cigar; should tick off the current wankers in charge.

Curt Vesely
356 Fan

#579 Post by Curt Vesely »

Vic,

Whatever do you mean :wink:

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#580 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Current bosses at Disney. They'd probably airbrush his mustache, if they thought they could get away with it.

Ralph D
356 Fan

#581 Post by Ralph D »

I'm thinking pea shooters painted black and a steel or aluminum sleeve over the top drilled in an M1919 pattern. A 1.5" tip would probably sound better. Now you have me wanting to make a pair.

My winter project is getting a pair of speedster seats covered and installed. Right now we're building a baja for my good friend in a staf car theme - complete with desert tan military paint and black out light up front. I think on the next one we'll mount a German jerry can and ammo can for tools. Wide 5's ROCK!
'60 Porsche Super 90
'60 Porsche Coupe

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

Re: New to the Registry-Building two A's

#582 Post by Rusty Willey »

I am such a sucker for nose art, gotta happen with my rig. Haven't posted in a long while but a couple of reasons to bring up this thread again. First of all the WCH, my buddy and I drove up to see what it was all about. I can't remember much, I only took a few photos, before we ever go to the hotel I had already seen more 356's driving through Park City than I had my entire life. I pulled up to the host hotel and proceed to fall fully into 356 overload. So many of the cars I had seen in photos, so many people I had "met" and talked to on the Forums and tons of smiles and congratulations from those who had followed this thread. Everybody at the car show came by to look at the car and even the owners of the nicest most original cars had nothing but complementary things to say about our builds. Not that things could get better but at the awards banquet my buddy won the outlaw class!!! My car build was also mentioned and I was called out for the challenging save of my car! We were both surprised, flattered, a little embarrassed and VERY proud of the recognition we received. I left the WCH wondering if the stereotypical grouchy Porsche guy who hates "outlaws" and sneers at newcomers even exists, I didn't meet him I guess. Sure, most people thought it was a little stupid to roll our cars two inches off the ground, VW engines, my buddys big ol twenty foot long Bus shifter and lots of other broken "rules" but the overwhelming response was support and a big smile for putting another 356 back on the road. Seems like there are very few "new" 356 builds that come out each year and given the size of the parts swap Sunday morning it is no wonder, 6 guys with a dozen parts for sale each. I was kiddng with Chuck House, asking how we are supposed to build cars with the small amount of parts available to start projects on, I would like to think all the spare parts are now just sold on the computer instead of in person but I wonder how much is really still out there. Anyways, it is time to end this big ol thread. My car is a driver, a project in the works for sure, as it will likely be forever but a driver nonetheless. Any updates will be posted in a new thread as well as the build of my other 59 coupe. Thanks for reading, thanks for the support, I really mean that. I knew I was going to build this car the day I found it, almost a year before I could buy it but joining the Registry once I owned it really helped fuel the fire to get it built. I love all of those early posts, they are pretty funny to read nowadays! Oh yeah, could you move this thread to projects? I really love the outlaw look but I think my thread is a more of an entertaining build story than a good reference to a particular build style. No big deal where the thread is I guess. Thanks again, I seem to have become quite a lurker on this new website not so many posts but I do still check it nearly every day.

Last edited by Rusty Willey on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Charlie White
356 Fan

#583 Post by Charlie White »

Hey Rusty, delete your last picture, it's too big, and goes off the screen to the right, along with an inch or so of your text.....can't read your post when some of it is off to the right of the screen.

Thanks,

CW
Charlie White

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#584 Post by Rusty Willey »

Hmmmmmm, cant scoot the screen over to edit that post and pull the pic.
Can somebody else can pull it??

Shane Balkowitsch
356 Fan

#585 Post by Shane Balkowitsch »

Rusty Willey wrote:Hmmmmmm, cant scoot the screen over to edit that post and pull the pic.
Can somebody else can pull it??
Picture looks wonderful on my screen, thanks for sharing!

Shane
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw
Don't Hate Me for My Outlaw Tendencies
356 Registry Member #: 31354
http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72623#72623