New to the Registry-Building two A's

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Rusty Willey
356 Fan

New to the Registry-Building two A's

#1 Post by Rusty Willey »

Okay here goes. I have been a HUGE VW guy my whole life, I have owned dozens, still do. As with many Volkswagen collectors 356's have always been dream cars. A couple of years ago myself and a buddy-John Jones from KCW were purchasing a very rare Bus out of a 300+ VW junkyard when I spotted 3 356's-all sitting since the 70's, long story short I have sold two thirds of my VW collection and now they are mine. Two are 59 A Coupes, one rolled very bad and rusted and the other a pretty good restoration cantidate. The third is a 60 B Coupe that is so bad I don't really want to talk about it. I have TONS of questions but first things first. I am building the rolled A first, Outlaw style-it is really the only option given the terrible condition of the car. I want to use the original tranny-Who rebuilds them? Also looking for floor pans right away-Any suggestions? I also need full seat sets for both A's. I hope I am not taking on more than I can handle, I feel a little overwhelmed at the start of these projects but really want to get them on the road again. I will have the help of KCW (there is a thread on their website about the 356's with pictures but it is mostly posts of my friends picking on me!) I think I am going to end up doing alot of the work myself so any suggestions, advice, words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[img][img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd98 ... ure797.jpg[/img][/img]
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Re: New to the Registry-Building two A's

#2 Post by Guest »

Rusty Willey wrote: Image
.... if that's the one that's going to be restored, you sat yourself quite a challenge .. :shock:

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#3 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Rusty Willey wrote:Also looking for floor pans right away-Any suggestions?
I purchased Package B for my A coupe in 2007. Good quality and fair price. Don't get discouraged if you don't hear back from the supplier right away...

http://www.restoration-design.com/
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Pribanic »

For those interested here's his link to the KCW site. It has more photo's of the 3 cars.

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/ ... php?t=3447

I look forward to following this thread and seeing this 356 coming back to life like the Tom Tom Barndoor.

I also noticed your signature. There are many in here who own/drive both VW's & 356's.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

#5 Post by Guest »

Mark Pribanic wrote:For those interested here's his link to the KCW site. It has more photo's of the 3 cars.

I look forward to following this thread and seeing this 356 coming back to life like the Tom Tom Barndoor.

I also noticed your signature. There are many in here who own/drive both VW's & 356's.
... which is not a big surpise, I think, as the 356 is merely a Beetle on steriouds.

Thanks for the link, that is quite an interesting thread and a completely different approach to building a 356 than most would do in this forum.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Rusty Willey wrote: I want to use the original tranny-Who rebuilds them?
Vic Skirmants is one of many who rebuild them. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.356enterprises.com/PartsTransmission_2.html
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

charles kourmpates

#7 Post by charles kourmpates »

Rusty Willey wrote: so any suggestions, advice, words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Image[/img]
HEY Rusty!

Rusty, I'll say, and then some.

Appreciated?

You did ask for "suggestions, advice and words of wisdom." Didn't you?

You have to be careful when you do that with guys like me.

I take a different view.

Over 40 years I've been restoring cars and I gotta tell ya, the hardest part about restoration is educating the owners.

It still is and that will never change.

If your serious about bringing this car back to life, you have my condolences. Boy, I sure wish I was a Vendor.

Lets see, 3000.00 for the tranny, then 2000.00 here. 4000.00, there, another 1500.00 here and there, and you haven't even started on the metal yet! And guess what, the metal is the most important part. OH, then there's this labor thing? You got the time for rebuilding what was somebody else's junk?

Why do you think this car was available? I'll tell you why, because everyone else passed it up. Including smarter and people with more resources than you.

Forget the project!

At this moment, you have a golden opportunity with a car being offered in Texas, for "short money." A car which appears to be a great "driver." A car worth an investment in time and $.

You want a car? I'd sell everything you just picked up, plus whatever else you have, and buy the Texas Coupe being offered.

There's no doubt in my mind, that this is the best and the most honest advice you will ever get. Like it or not.

Good luck, your gonna need it.

Oh, one more quick thing, Vendors just love guys like you.

Charles

"Here's the car, now go buy it!"

Iverson M Branan
Fredericksburg Texas
(830)997-1717 anytime between 8am and 10pm CST
ibranan@beecreek.net
Last edited by charles kourmpates on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Charles,
If you read his thread you will see why he wants to do this car...Here is a link to the thread, 10 pages & all.

Also, you may want to read this thread about KCW(a restoration shop) & what they did with a Barndoor 23 window in similar condition. Here is the link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237557

& pics:

http://kustomcoachwerks.com/gallery/mai ... emId=50842
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

charles kourmpates

#9 Post by charles kourmpates »

Mark,

Nice photos of a "junk yard."

Charles

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

I am glad someone is thinking outside the box and working to do something with cars that many would say are beyond saving.

Where would we be as a Porsche community if Brett Johnson crushed his 51 cab instead of bringing it back? Or if Gary Kempton decided his all steel America Roadster was just too far gone?

Sure, he is going to spend some money and a LOT of time, but he will end up with a few cars that I am sure he will appreciate. Let's give the guy a break, or maybe even a part that he will need!

Anybody remember this car?
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Adam Wright wrote:I am glad someone is thinking outside the box and working to do something with cars that many would say are beyond saving.

Where would we be as a Porsche community if Brett Johnson crushed his 51 cab instead of bringing it back? Or if Gary Kempton decided his all steel America Roadster was just too far gone?

Sure, he is going to spend some money and a LOT of time, but he will end up with a few cars that I am sure he will appreciate. Let's give the guy a break, or maybe even a part that he will need!

Anybody remember this car?
Adam,
What is the status of the car above? Is it being restored?
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rusty Willey »

Thanks Guys! I DO appreciate ALL the comments :D John Jones was the first person to say that this plan was going to be more work and more money than it is likely worth. And yes, I do know that there are a few really nice A Coupes in the 25-35G range for sale right now, those pictures are my inspiration. Don't worry, nobody is going to hurt my feelings :D I just hope you all take this build for what it is worth and enjoy it just like I plant to. I will give an update this weekend, I am going down to the shop for a couple of days to try and dig in to this project a little :D

Thomas Canty
356 Fan

#13 Post by Thomas Canty »

Last edited by Thomas Canty on Tue May 04, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#14 Post by Rusty Willey »

Thanks, this car project will not be abandoned. I have already reserved George's time at KCW this Friday, he is the guy who pushed out most of Johns BD 23. We figure to start out with three Port a Powers, a bunch of 2X4's to cut out jigs, hammers, dollys, and some heat. I think by the end of the weekend I will be able to see some progress!!!

charles kourmpates

#15 Post by charles kourmpates »

Rusty Willey wrote:Thanks Guys! I DO appreciate ALL the comments :D John Jones was the first person to say that this plan was going to be more work and more money than it is likely worth. And yes, I do know that there are a few really nice A Coupes in the 25-35G range for sale right now, :D
Rusty,

The bloody car is 13K!

You can probably have the thing for 11K, or 12K.

Make that call and buy that Coupe before a Player or a flipper does. Then it will be 21K or more.

Keep an eye on this car and you'll probabvly see it surface again for twice the loot.

Charles