Louvers rule

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Graham Kerr
356 Fan

Louvers rule

#1 Post by Graham Kerr »

Anyone can restore a car, it takes a real man to cut one up.
Attachments
SANY0108.JPG
SANY0113.JPG
86 SSE Turbo Look 3.2 Carrera
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Louvers rule

#2 Post by C J Murray »

Which size Harley Davidson engine did you choose?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#3 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Had no idea your tail lights were frenched until I noticed the left rear. Careful when backing, I remember when my dad centerlined a power pole hidden from view behind the family wagons window frame. My recent viewing of the rear of a brand new Caddy reminded me of how blind spots can ruin a perfectly beautiful day. I see your louvers were cut without the benefit of starter holes, that must have been exciting. Something not quite harmonious yet about the distribution of louvers on the field, but I'm betting you're not really done yet. Will show you mine when I get as far as you've come, nope, no exposed louvers, but there is a set protecting the front oil radiator in the right front wheel well.

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#4 Post by Mike Ruddy »

H Graham, what's the rationale behind the multi louvre lid ? Does form follow function or is it purely a style/signature statement ? Would a design like that limit the cool airflow to the aircooled engine ?

Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

#5 Post by Conrad Carter »

My thoughts exactly! Do lovers work that well?
Conrad

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

I think the rationale is that it is a custom- who cares about function?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#7 Post by C J Murray »

How much air does a Harley engine need?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#8 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Hold on there Martin, custom has never been synonymous with quirky or whimsical. Everything the Porsche factory did to improve the breed on the track was custom fitted with design solutions intent on winning. Being functional has always been and will always be part of Porsche's goal in their design solutions. Looking back, the Porsche Carrera Abarth's deck lid was one of the earlier that I recall introductions of the louver to the 356 chassis. Turning the louvers to the rear allowed the engine bay to pull in its air just as well as the open hole with a grill or screen that reduces the possibility of ingesting large floating track debris into the engine bay's cooling fan's intake. Turning them forward may have allowed more forced breathing but would also have dumped more water onto the engine during a wet track event. Louvers are part of the finish and details of the day, hell, they're still used today across the design spectrum. Louvers are a timeless air flow design element that has/will be with us as long as our interest in air cooling, where/when-ever they provide the right bit of custom influence to improve the efficiency the designer has in mind. Louvers don't rule a well as they impart that certain open air functionality that works as well as a classy grill or hog screened opening. Ever notice the use of louvers under the belly of a more modern Porsche? In my early flirtation with the 944, I recall louvers across its belly pan, smoothing the air flow under the vehicle as well as aiding the throughput of some of the departing engine heat. Louvers are fundamental to smooth air flow, a simple air transfer convention, without adding attachments to accommodate the designers intent. Arggggghhhhhhh, I feel much better now!!

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#9 Post by Graham Kerr »

Hey Glen you noticed my taillights were frenched, I'm impressed, of course the lenses have now got blue dots. Actually I might just be jacking the whole deck lid up a la Fiat Abarths if the possible future purchase of an ex drag race 2.3 litre turbo type 1 motor comes off.
86 SSE Turbo Look 3.2 Carrera
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#10 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Sooooooo, there's a Cayenne in the barn, bet ya there aren't three pedals on the floor. Yep, our '11 Cayenne has three pedals, and its about as good as a Porsche SUV gets. No, its not the GTS, only the lowly inline 6, but Ohhhhhhh, how sweet a six it is. Bmrrrrrrs eat your heart out.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

"Custom" as in custom cars, is usually all about looks, which is fine. Porsche made lots of custom parts, but I think that is a different useage of the word. Glen, I assume your Cayenne has a silky smooth BMW inline 6 transplanted in, to upgrade from a balance-shaft-needing V6 that it came with? :D If it has three pedals, you have excellent judgment.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#12 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Hi Martin,

The Porsche in-line six is just a tad off-set from a straight six alignment, in this fashion, Porsche was able to create a more compact inline six case. Sooooooo, its not a Bmerrrrrr power plant, but, just as smooth and with plenty of torque to match the ratios of these six forward gears. First gear is really a granny, to replace the low gearing needed for the rough and ready, so its mostly a five speed with a really tall overdrive. With the Sport fuel and timing adjustment switch on the console, I never need to enter first gear, except when pulling away up an incline. Second gear is my normal drive-away gear, as long as the Sport button is selected. Wish the Sport button had been made a delete button, would have made every day driving less engaging. Still, I wouldn't have changed a thing. I can't believe the Porsche world never caught on to the base Cayenne as a driver's Cayenne of choice. Oh well, I'm just pleased that the dealer in Dallas was willing to take my order and give us the discount we offered to all the dealers in the three state region. May God bless all the sales managers that realize that profits come with sales. More sales equals more profits, and more cars from Porsche come with more sales. Ya really don't need to make a killing on every sale to show a significant profit at the end of the years overall sales volume.

Martin, I may have glossed over the details of a balance shaft, but, like with the 944/968, it works better than you can imagine. I've owned and loved a 944, had it held its value, I'd still be driving it today. Even today I keeps my eyes open for a 968 deal, always preferring a coupe over the canvas top, even with the acoustic reverberations from the real glass reflected back into the cabin. I used a rigid carpeted cargo area cover to absorb the unwanted acoustic drone, worked very well if I do say so.

If BMW takes note of the engineering in the Porsche engine, and wants to reduce the fore/aft CG of the mass sitting just behind their front suspension of its daily drivers, it could do as Porsche has and build a smooth and more compact six. Balance shafts, another God send to quell the off beat harmonics that always plagued the inline four bangers. I was unaware that an inline 6 had such harmonics. Need to go back and check the engine specs on this little bugger.

Judgments are in the eyes of the beholder. When I saw that Porsche was building an SUV that could be managed by the driver, I was all in. We still have a wonderful '97 Expeditoin with the 5.4 that makes 20+ MPG all day long at 68 mph. Its condition and manners are just too good to give away, and it still does all the heavy lifting with the trailer for the CASE skid steer and moving the 356 project from points A to B, at least until the tub is finally back on the road, doing its own bidding. Life is good in the slow lane, actually, better than I had ever imagined.

Custom solutions are what we all create when there is an itch that needs scratching. Like the sound deadening panel in the rear of the 944, ya do what ya thinks is best.

I thought we should cut the Louvers Rule thread some slack. Obviously the owner of that project has some respect for where the early Carrera design had its standard tail lights turned vertically and the louvers in the engine hatch. I'm always living outside the box and have a soft spot for those who come and go where too few feel the need to tread. Loving what Porsche does is not just about following in the footsteps of history, but its also so much about pushing the envelope. I'm on the side of full oil filtration, better cooling, and putting a stamp of one's personality on the wheels one enjoys. I also adhere to the notion that if it was good enough back in the day, its good enough now, to a point.

The factory did what it thought best back in the day. Having taken one of these 356's down to metal, witnessing and evaluating what worked and did not, for my enjoyment and pleasure, there are things that will not be left unimproved. The tar applied to the body panels was a water trap that need not be repeated, much of the sound deadening was another water trap that need not be repeated. A bypass oil filter need not be repeated. Twin plugs will move a piston down the cylinder wall with more grace and less waddle that a single plug. Better oil flow to the rockers will allow them to last beyond the reality that they have endured in their historic life cycle. A Scatt crank will out live a rebuilt crankshaft hands down, and a cooler running engine will outlast all the standard plumbing engines, its a no brainer. Stronger suspension bushings will live longer and feel better than anything that came with the tub's original hardware. A revised suspension setup will bring a bigger smile than anything, other than that which was found on the Carrera models. Change, it does a body good if the trials and modifications learned by those who preceded us are shared amongst the faithful and integrated into our restorations for the benefit of our driving pleasures.

Custom, damn right, but only for those who find the challenge of pushing the envelope at the heart of their driving interest. If something doesn't fit right, massage it; if something doesn't drive right, massage it. If something doesn't look quite right, massage it. Isn't that pretty much what Porsche has been doing with each change to its philosophical paradigm of its driver's automobiles? I really need some sleep, have a good one folks. Later gators.

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#13 Post by Mike Ruddy »

So Glen, what are your thoughts about this heavily louvered hatch ?

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan

#14 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Huh, been there done that. Don't ya mean racing stripes and flood lights?

C J Murray
356 Fan

#15 Post by C J Murray »

Virginia is for Louvers!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion