Removing Spark Plugs - 356 w/914/DTM Shroud/Weber Carbs

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

Removing Spark Plugs - 356 w/914/DTM Shroud/Weber Carbs

#1 Post by Conrad Carter »

There MUST be a trick that I don't know about! I got the spark plugs out with GREAT difficulty as the holes in shroud are 1.125" ID and spark plug socket is very close to that so moving the wrench around to get on the plug is hard. Then, of course, the weber carb adaptor is in the way and cannot see anything so doing all this blind! What is "The Trick"? Is there a magic tool to make this manageable? Appears to me that the holes don't line up very well with the plugs.
Conrad

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

Re: Removing Spark Plugs - 356 w/914/DTM Shroud/Weber Carbs

#2 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Seems Conrad, you've entered the world of significant misfits. Don't we all love the simple logic of keeping things similar to what they were. I do have a propensity to diverge from the original, but not without some significant forethought. It appears Conrad that the foregone conclusion is yours to resolve. Might the scoundrel who created your malaise come forward and confront your ire.

Conrad, don't mind me. Your frustration was too obvious to pass by. I'll bet you'll find a trick, or at the least, fix the bugger so that your next time in is less of a chore.

Conrad Carter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Conrad Carter »

Glen,
Surely I'm not the first with this combo! I'm ready to drop the motor so I can make the holes in the shroud larger (go from 1.125" to 1.250") so I can get socket on the plugs. I'm thinking I can purchase "Seals-It" seals to fill in the larger holes.
Conrad

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Karaba »

What spark plug socket are you using. Some cheap brands are overly thick and worsen the situation. I use a snap-on or MAC socket with a swivel built in and have no problems.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Put the spark plug into a length of fuel line and use that to start the threads; good advice even for stock set-ups. You won't cross-thread anything when twisting a fuel line. You should then be able to wiggle the socket onto the plug for final tightening.

Conrad Carter
356 Fan

#6 Post by Conrad Carter »

Working on passenger side, the plug nearest to firewall went in with non- reinforced rubber hose but cannot get Craftsman spark plug socket on the plug! I can even move the shroud slightly but no cigar! Will work on driver side tomorrow.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#7 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Conrad, any possibility that the socket you are using is available in a smaller diameter outer housing. The recommendation by others is something worth visiting your local auto parts store to verify that the plug you are trying to install can be had with a smaller diameter socket, even one with a flexible fitting on the end. Tools are our friends, but only if the right one is in your box of tricks. If someone was able to install those plugs, you can bet there is a tool that make it possible. Looking forward to your fix for extracting and replacing the plugs. Persistence, the attitude that never gives an inch. You can do this bro.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brian R Adams »

You may have to use a cheap socket and modify it into a "very thin wall" socket buy grinding on the outside. You could even chuck it in a lathe to slim it down. Since you will only be using it on spark plugs it doesn't need to handle much torque.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Conrad Carter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Conrad Carter »

I really appreciate your encouragement but a thin socket won't solve the problem. Problem is misalignment of hole in the shroud with the plug location. I'm guessing use of a Porsche head on a Volkswagen motor may be some of the problem. I cannot get the socket over the tip of the plug. Something is WAY off. Getting ready to drop the motor so I can see what I'm working on.
Conrad

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brian R Adams »

Ok, I'm starting over. Your subject says "Removing Spark Plugs" yet in your OP you said:
Conrad Carter wrote: "I got the spark plugs out with GREAT difficulty."
If you already have the plugs out, just what are you struggling with now?
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#11 Post by Greg Bryan »

Conrad - I'm not following - do you have a type 4 motor in your car?
Greg Bryan

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Karaba »

Contact Jake Raby for better help. He designed and built the DTM shroud, which is where your trouble lies.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#13 Post by Norm Miller »

Conrad,

The angle of the spark plugs differs between the 914 and the VW TYP IV, and of course one must have the proper shroud or you will be up the proverbial creek without any means of physical locomotion.
I used two pair of cyl # 1&3 shrouds tossing the # 2&4 shrouds.

Norm

Conrad Carter
356 Fan

#14 Post by Conrad Carter »

New plugs are not going in any easier than the old plugs came out! Danger of cross threading plugs very real!

James Roten
356 Fan

#15 Post by James Roten »

Conrad,
I’m installing a 1974 914 2.0 in my ’74 Bug and using the Stage 3 DTM upright shroud kit from LN Engineering. I welded a 1/8” rod to a spark plug end cap and threaded it onto each of the plugs to precisely determine where they align with the shroud. With 30mm holes a Hazet 20.8-13/16 magnetic plug wrench (Part No. 880MgT) with a wobble extension works perfectly. Don’t know what intake manifolds you’re using but the ones from Weber for 44IDFXEs have plenty of clearance. Locations for the spark plug holes vary depending on which heads you are using. Hope this helps.