Screens for Parabolic Intake Stacks

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Screens for Parabolic Intake Stacks

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

I have a couple of sets which I am thinking about using on my Zeniths. (Don't think they made 'em for Solexes.)

I have heard that Parabolic made screens for the tops. Anybody seen those or have some for sale?

Here's a picture:
Attachments
$_1-4.jpeg
$_1-4.jpeg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 2392 times

Chris Markham
356 Fan
Instagram: @csmarkham

Re: Screens for Parabolic Intake Stacks

#2 Post by Chris Markham »

I sometimes run those same Par-a-Bolics on my engine (see <<< profile pic) and have been looking for something suitable for a long time. My latest thought is to have a friend who is handy with a Tig tip start with a couple of kitchen sieves and attach to an appropriately sized band clamp.

However, the reason I haven't just done it as I'm in some analysis paralysis. As soon as you put something like this directly on the horn, you defeat much of the purpose. The stack height helps, but the trumpet horn really helps to accelerate the air. Put a big lip on the edge, screen wall, it can't be as effective. If they were tall stacks, and the height multiple over the intake runner length was the goal, then alrighty. For the shorties a big foam box might do it, but then you lose all that bling. :)

It can be done beautifully (the below is a 906 motor at the Bruce Canepa spa up the street), but you have to be losing something to optimum flow. Of course, I'd be more incentivized to protect a 906 motor than my 356 which has been torn down twice in 16 years more for fun than mileage/wear. When I feel worrisome about particulates I run a pair of go kart (yamaha 125) cone filters that I picked up about 10 years ago--and which are a lot taller than the ones which are all over eBay these days. These are instead of the venturis, not over them, of course.

So, I'm still on the fence, when it comes down to it. As a complete aside, I have to say, the stickers on your stacks are brilliant. Mine are quite worn. Were these NOS from somewhere, unwrapped recently?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 7.41.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 7.41.31 PM.png (265.35 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
Chris M
59 Coupe #106728
'61 "Heinz 57" 1720. Stacks, ceramic headers, Supertrapp, Pertronix, Maestro 24k gold-plate coil strap for speed. Willhoit bar, Skirmants spring. 5" Brazilians. 20' paint w/abundant bubbles, GT straps, grilles.

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#3 Post by Bill Sargent »

Edwin,

Try this company. http://www.bbrfilters.com/ They do very nice filters at a reasonable price. They also make custom filters on a short turn around. I had them make some for the tall Solex stacks Vic Skirmants makes and they fit well and look great. In fact the ones on the motor in Chris M's post look like the ones they produce. Satisfied customer.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#4 Post by Greg Scallon »

I'll second Bill's comments above. I have a set of filters from bbrfilters, for Weber IDFs I have on a VW engine. They are easy to take on and off, fit well, and are well made. They look exactly like the ones in the 906 image above. If they can make a custom set for you, as Bill mentions, I'm sure you'll like them.

Cheers,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus