Non-stock wheels on your 356? Post a pic!

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

Re: Non-stock wheels on your 356? Post a pic!

#181 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Pasted Graphic.tiff
Pasted Graphic.tiff (213.37 KiB) Viewed 6873 times
Not finished yet, 6x16 with 195/60/16 on all four corners. Still need to work with the suspension settings and front wheel spacers. Original wheel offset was maintained. Stockton Wheels handiwork.

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#182 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Another photo post attempt.
Attachments
CIMG2919.JPG
CIMG2919.JPG (72.58 KiB) Viewed 6832 times

Ed Cave
356 Fan

#183 Post by Ed Cave »

max handley wrote:Adam You were off a little on the price Heres what Chris quoted me about 6 months ago.

"Max, the Rudge wheels are $4400 polished and $4800 painted". "They are completely integrated into the wheel and not a pop in cap"." They have a threaded piece and a 2pc cap that threads onto the wheel". Chris

The term painted may be misleading, its a special process that looks more Anodized to me with a beautiful satin finish. Heres a pic. with just the center painted.

Adam .....$1000 for a $4400 dollar set, nice score !
Max Handley

Does anyone have a photo of this wheel on a car? Also, do they make a version to fit disc brake cars with the tighter lug spacing; i.e. a C?

Sorry, photo didn't appear....I'm referring to the Coddington Rudge style wheel posted in this thread on Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:28 am
Ed Cave
 Member No. 10615

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
1998 Porsche Carrera S
2014 Porsche 911/50 - Coming in the fall of 2013

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#184 Post by Farrell Martin »

I can't put my hands on the table that shows the various Fuchs offsets, so hoping someone can answer my quesiton. Looking to possibly put 15x6 Fuchs on a 356 - is there a certain year Fuch (i.e offset) that is better than others for a 356C? Without the table I cant remember what offsets there are.

Thanks - Farrell
1965 356C - Dolphin Grey, Blue Interior

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#185 Post by Ashley Page »

Farrell Martin wrote:I can't put my hands on the table that shows the various Fuchs offsets, so hoping someone can answer my quesiton. Looking to possibly put 15x6 Fuchs on a 356 - is there a certain year Fuch (i.e offset) that is better than others for a 356C? Without the table I cant remember what offsets there are.

Thanks - Farrell

Farrell

I am planning to use the post ‘72 15 X 6 Fuchs on my 64 and this is what I recently came up with comparing some wheels. This happened within the last few days and I have not had a chance to compare to the stock steel wheel, the 944 spare or the 14” fuchs all of which I have in my garage.

I had both the 15 x 6 “Deep Six with Heart” that some grovel over and a post 1972 911 15 X 6 tubeless wheel (with bead for tire to abut against) in my grubby hands at the same time. Maybe there is a 5.5” “deep six” that would throw a monkey wrench into this but the 6” is what I had.

They both have 35mm offset and both have 121mm backspace.
The post ’72 is overall 2.5 to 3mm wider but that is all on the outside of the rim – 1.5mm per side. The distance between the bead seats inside the rim edge is 151mm on both wheels so I count them as the same width.

I arrived at the back space simply by measuring from the hub face (where the wheel meets the hub) to the inner rim (meaning the side of the rim looking at the mud and squirrel guts on the inner fender well).
I arrived at the offset by subtracting ½ of the wheel width from the backspace.

Also, if interested, the post ’72 wheel looks like a better made wheel and is lighter than the “Deep Six” wheel. By the looks of it production quality improved when they went to tubeless tires.

They both take the same extra length stud. I am using 48mm and some use 50mm. 48mm gives you a thread or two outside of the nut which is ideal and NASCAR approved if you intent to attempt qualifying for the race at Watkins Glen or Sonoma.

I have both length studs for sale as well as very high quality lug nuts.

Ashley

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#186 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Jim Breazeale wrote:
Elliot Toler-Scott wrote:No pictures to post yet... but I will be running the lightweight 944 turbo space saver wheels. These wheels have two valves per (one acts as a popoff valve, to limit pressure)-does anyone happen to know what this pressure point is? I'd like to know if its going to be lower than what I want before I have tires installed.
thanks for any insight, Elliot
I don't thingk there s a spec for the pressure point. You can go to any motorcycle shop and buy shrader valves for motorsycle wheels that will fit the holes in the spacesaver wheels perfectly. You will then have two valves. I don't recommend leaving the popoff valves in the wheels but they probably wouldn't cause any harm. It only costs a few dollars to replace them, though.

Regards
What about installing a button head capscrew and rubber washer with a thin nut inside instead of welding the hole or installing the second valve stem?
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#187 Post by Farrell Martin »

Ashley Page wrote:
Farrell Martin wrote:I can't put my hands on the table that shows the various Fuchs offsets, so hoping someone can answer my quesiton. Looking to possibly put 15x6 Fuchs on a 356 - is there a certain year Fuch (i.e offset) that is better than others for a 356C? Without the table I cant remember what offsets there are.

Thanks - Farrell

Farrell

I am planning to use the post ‘72 15 X 6 Fuchs on my 64 and this is what I recently came up with comparing some wheels. This happened within the last few days and I have not had a chance to compare to the stock steel wheel, the 944 spare or the 14” fuchs all of which I have in my garage.

I had both the 15 x 6 “Deep Six with Heart” that some grovel over and a post 1972 911 15 X 6 tubeless wheel (with bead for tire to abut against) in my grubby hands at the same time. Maybe there is a 5.5” “deep six” that would throw a monkey wrench into this but the 6” is what I had.

They both have 35mm offset and both have 121mm backspace.
The post ’72 is overall 2.5 to 3mm wider but that is all on the outside of the rim – 1.5mm per side. The distance between the bead seats inside the rim edge is 151mm on both wheels so I count them as the same width.

I arrived at the back space simply by measuring from the hub face (where the wheel meets the hub) to the inner rim (meaning the side of the rim looking at the mud and squirrel guts on the inner fender well).
I arrived at the offset by subtracting ½ of the wheel width from the backspace.

Also, if interested, the post ’72 wheel looks like a better made wheel and is lighter than the “Deep Six” wheel. By the looks of it production quality improved when they went to tubeless tires.

They both take the same extra length stud. I am using 48mm and some use 50mm. 48mm gives you a thread or two outside of the nut which is ideal and NASCAR approved if you intent to attempt qualifying for the race at Watkins Glen or Sonoma.

I have both length studs for sale as well as very high quality lug nuts.

Ashley

Great info Ashley, thank you. I am down to choosing between Fuchs and. Nice set of a gurney wheels I can get locally and this will help..

- Farrell

P.s. I read the thread on the work you did on that steering wheel - just awesome. You need to make some more!

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#188 Post by Sterling Vaden »

I believe that all of the 6" X 15" Fuchs have the same offset and back spacing.

Here is the wheel table that was mentioned:

http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/WheelWts.html

Unfortunately, this does have some missing information, and doesn't include factory steel wheels for comparison. For some reason cookie cutters are also left out.

SV
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#189 Post by Farrell Martin »

Complete change of direction from my last posts. Went with a set of factory 6 inch steelies and 195/65 Goodyears. I LOVE them.
Attachments
image.jpg

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#190 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Wire wheels
Attachments
Brumos.jpg
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#191 Post by Sterling Vaden »

Thanks for pointing that out!
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#192 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Your welcome!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#193 Post by Tom Tate »

This car just followed me home. I don't recall ever seeing these wheels before. Any ideas on what they are? Yes, that is a Porsche crest in the center. Since it's a disc brake car maybe they were popular on 911's?
Attachments
218772 photo 003.jpg

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#194 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Funky! Looks like they belong on some Eastern European make to me! lol, but thats just my opinion.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#195 Post by Adam Wright »

Mark,
There was a set of those wire wheels at Roundtop, Dave Baker had them, they sold to a flipper and have since re-sold to another one, they are making the rounds...
Attachments
9m6low.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.