Remote Full Flow Oil Filter

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Neville Heal
356 Fan

Remote Full Flow Oil Filter

#1 Post by Neville Heal »

I am going to fit a full flow oil filter to my engine with a non return valve to prevent draining of the lines.
I would appreciate details on what non return valves people have used for this case.
Neville
Perth
Western Australia

Neil M. Fennessey
356 Fan

Re: Remote Full Flow Oil Filter

#2 Post by Neil M. Fennessey »

Back to the Ivory Tower I go!
 - Neil
'67 912/356D (Ol' Blue)
'82 HP 34C

David Baugh
356 Fan

Re: Remote Full Flow Oil Filter

#3 Post by David Baugh »

Hi, Neville. Love Neil's avatar. I've always wondered where they got that jack.

All spin-on filters that I'm familiar with have an internal check valve which prevents backflow and draining of the oil lines. The check valve is tight enough that it also prevents most forward siphon flow. Even after setting for weeks, I get instant oil pressure, so it would appear that oil cooler drainage is limited, as well.

Be aware. The internal check valve makes it imperative that you get your oil lines configured correctly. Oil will not flow thru the filter in the reverse direction, which will likely blow up the filter can. For reference, the threaded center hole of the filter is its "exit" port. These filters also have an internal bypass valve which opens in the event that the filter element is unable to pass enough oil due to clogging, etc. That won't help you, though, in the case of crossed oil lines, because reversed-flow oil pressure will also hold the bypass valve closed, and the check valve will prevent oil from leaving the filter anyway.

Dave
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe