IRS 5spd Occmans Razor

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Brad K

Re: IRS 5spd Occmans Razor

#46 Post by Brad K »

just reading panorama issue #689 - 8/14 - pg 18 - reference to WEVO evaluating 5 speed tranny concept for 356's

- i'll believe when i see it, as i have heard about many folks doing 5 speed conversions for 356's for years - yet to see them sold - best of luck with the project!

brad in seattle

Adrian Rendle
356 Fan

#47 Post by Adrian Rendle »

i think that the solution which would be most acceptable would be a fabrication perhaps bolting to the 3-hole array on the hub with a diagonal arm to carry the inner pivot....the pivots would need brackets or lugs to be welded onto the t-bar tube, and the gearbox front mount brackets could form part of the new pivot lugs (the gearbox ears could be used to position the lugs).

that way, original wheels are retained and the IRS is reversible.......(741 trans would need IRS-ing)

(i'm not sure if the 902 trans would have a strong enough case to take lateral loads from your transverse rods, Jacques, it is more slender than the 741....and i don't think the upper damper mount would be man enough to take a Chapman strut)

then we just wait for someone to stick 5 cogs in the 741

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#48 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Adrian
1. the transverse load would go to the hoop.
2. the loads should be comparable to the existing shock and it would be easy to reinforce that area
3. the 718 Spyder box is a 644 5 cog you just have to shift it from alongside the nose cone.(maybe a cable shifter)
j

Adrian Rendle
356 Fan

#49 Post by Adrian Rendle »

Jacques, did you pursue your transverse rods idea? Coupled with a new bearing/joint carrier, it could be the cheapest way to IRS. I assume you'd have 2 rods one above the other, possibly at least 8" apart, but the force thro the lower rod could be too much for the hoop. This arrangement can give progressively more positive camber as suspension "compresses".

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#50 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Adrian
the transverse forces are generated by the hoop in the swing axle now. i have not done any more exploring since the market is very small and i have other projects. If any one wants to pursue this they are welcome to it.
cheers
j
Attachments
DSC_0161.JPG
DSC_0158.JPG