Outlaw 5-Speed Trans (Split from Outlaw Engine thread)

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Outlaw 5-Speed Trans (Split from Outlaw Engine thread)

#61 Post by Martin Benade »

I have always figured that the good handling properties of a 356 come from a lucky combination of mis-matched suspension designs with terrible camber curves. Does a better rear suspension improve the car?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Maxwell
356 Fan

#62 Post by David Maxwell »

Martin Benade wrote:I have always figured that the good handling properties of a 356 come from a lucky combination of mis-matched suspension designs with terrible camber curves. Does a better rear suspension improve the car?
I'm very curious about this myself. The IRS swap is common on high-end Outlaws, and a byproduct of going to a 5 speed transaxle, but does it actually make a significant improvement in the handling? I guess the only way to know would be to put two cars, one stock swing axel, the other IRS, on the pad and see which pulls better G's, but a seat-of-your-pants analysis would be useful, too.

ruedi Brack
356 Fan

#63 Post by ruedi Brack »

Hi David,
as You can see, I spend most of my time working on cars.....
So far, I didnt drive the car with this configuration, because its still in (near finished) Progress. At that time just receved the rear Konis, they have to be shortened by 3 in. they are too long for the 911 Uprights. At the end, I will also check the cars weight & Balance, so I have a exact comparison to the Situation bevor. The main reason for all this modifications was the torque of my other engine, it's a 914 (like Type 4 but from Porsche) with 2800 ccm and a lot of Power and torque. So i thought it's better to use this gearbox along with slightly modified gear ratios. I also put a GT Diff in, have good experience with it, specialy in the snow and rain. will Keep You informed....
Ruedi

C J Murray
356 Fan

#64 Post by C J Murray »

what's up with the trans shown here past page 42????

http://kw-automobile.de/Download/K356.PDF
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#65 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

VW but i do like the flat fan on the engine

C J Murray
356 Fan

#66 Post by C J Murray »

how many speeds...what advantage?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adrian Rendle
356 Fan

#67 Post by Adrian Rendle »

any one know what happened with Curt's Berg 5?

Curt Vesely
356 Fan

#68 Post by Curt Vesely »

I'm still here. It took 10 or 11 months to get the trans from Gary Berg because of delays from Gene Berg Ind. I got the trans at the start of our driving season (Arizona) I'll probably start on it around June in my air conditioned garage.
The ratios are 3.88 r&p 1st thru 5th 3.75 2.25 1.58 1.21 0.89. There are many different gear sets available, these are what I chose.

Curt...

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

#69 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Curt how about a picture. What a fascinating prospect.
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Curt Vesely
356 Fan

#70 Post by Curt Vesely »

Hey Mark,
I'm still here and I'm still going to do it. Life keeps getting in the way. The only picture I could post now is the transmission in shrink wrap :)
Curt...

Bob Murray
356 Fan

#71 Post by Bob Murray »

Hi Guys
Anything new with the possible 5sp's

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#72 Post by Craig Richter »

Yeah. Bump, bump. I'm making do with my "wide-ratio" alternative (actually, not too bad in the lightweight Speedster), but still dreaming of a 5-ganger...

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#73 Post by Wes Bender »

I loved the 5-speed in my 912 back in '66. I know it won't fit in the 356, so I'm hoping this thread will come up with a viable alternative to the 4-speed. Some really good ideas have come forth.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Curt Vesely
356 Fan

#74 Post by Curt Vesely »

I'm still here, the short answer is I haven't done it yet. HOWEVER there is one recently completed at Competition Engineering here in Phoenix. It is a T-6 and a beautiful car from any angle and laser straight, show car quality. Not only did it receive a Berg 5 but a 300 hp, fuel injected turbo charged Type 1 engine. I don't know the owner but he could be on this board. Step one (and the one that will turn many of you away) is you must cut the torsion tube and install a bridge if you want the transmission to be in exactly the same place. The bridge is commercially available from the off road sellers, for the purpose of putting the big Mendiola's in baha bugs, so I'm told. The shift rod will be above the tunnel but the owner of the car I speak of chose to enclose the rod with sheet metal and use the stock shifter. Covered with German square weave you have to look real close to tell. This is not something you can do in your garage in a couple of weekends as many, many small parts have to be fabricated Dan Lawson the owner of Competition Engineering is a really nice guy and has no problem letting people who are considering this conversion to stop by and take a look...

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#75 Post by Ronald Sieber »

It would be really nice to read the news that someone in our community had put together all of the ideas that have been brainstormed in this continuing thread and produced a drop-in 5 speed for our beloved 356s. Something with a highway 5th gear (like my '69 912 had) for those of us who dare to use the interstates. But also something that doesn't require us to chop up or change out the stock suspension components.

I think that a unit under $5K would attract much interest and it sounds doable if enough folks would step up and order. A special 5-speed badge could even be designed for the grill!