914/4 engine for outlaw.

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
ScottBerry
356 Fan

914/4 engine for outlaw.

#1 Post by ScottBerry »

Working on a 356b T5. What are the pros and cons of putting a 914 four banger that has been warmed up? A lot of work?
1960 356B (110196) restoration project in progress
1968 912 Restoration Complete

Curt Vesely
356 Fan

Re: 914/4 engine for outlaw.

#2 Post by Curt Vesely »

Get in touch with this guy http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/forum.php He's done several...

Bruce Edge
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bruce Edge »

Hi Scott, Does warmed up mean a used motor that has been made to run? A lot comes in to play when one considers putting a type 4 motor in a 356. First the motors are not cheap to build. If you already have a running type 4 motor to put in a 356 you will still spend a lot of money just for the conversion pieces. Upright cooling system, flywheel-kennedy clutch, exhaust system, around $2500. I have never had any luck with used type 4 motors, don't get me wrong they are tough engines but the cylinder heads are the weak point. Now the heads are old and can only be rebuilt so many times. I have got many type 4 motors to run good for a while, but only to drop a valve on down the road. Sorry to be writting so much, just don't want you to waste any money and still not have what you want. I have worked with type 4 and 356's a long time. Glad to answer any questions you may have.

Bruce Edge
Bruce Edge

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

Interesting thread guys. I am putting a 2.6 Type IV in my '63 Type II Transporter. I will become my daily shop truck when complete. Pre - A dash and Speedster seats.

I will keep you posted on the reliability. ........................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Bruce Edge
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bruce Edge »

Hey Jim, I also have a type 2 for my daily shop truck. I may have been a little misleading in my early post about type IV engines. If a type 4 engine is rebuilt properly with new AMC heads (with a little machine work) you will never have to worry about reliabilty. I also like to use steel straight cut gears. The engine in my bus is about 175 hp I have loaded it up to the windows with engines and transsions and pulled a car trailer at the same time with no trouble.
I also have a well built type IV in my 1962 356 outlaw, it makes an awesome driving car.

Thanks,
Bruce Edge
Bruce Edge