Outlaw Progress

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Farrell Martin
356 Fan

Outlaw Progress

#1 Post by Farrell Martin »

My 356 C is slowly making its way towards a mild outlaw. I am starting here.
Attachments
image.jpg
1965 356C - Dolphin Grey, Blue Interior

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

Re: Outlaw Progress

#2 Post by Farrell Martin »

Step 1 is complete. I scored a set of factory 6 inch steelies (anyone that knows me and my car history knows I am a steelies fan) from good friend Craig. I think it pained him to let them go, but he finally gave up my persistence.

I am running Goodyear 195/65s and I think they look great. I went over to Craig's this morning to test fit them before I ponied up for them. We got them installed and took them for a test ride. On hard cornering, there was some interference, but it was not a rubbing. We pulled the wheel back off and found that the inside wheel weights were lightly touching the plate in the fender that the bump stop hits. We shaved about 1/8 inch off the plate and all clearance issues were gone. I really like how they fill the fender wells and can still fit my hand between the tire and fender, which is good since I loam on lowering the car about 1 inch.

I also installed the one decal I am going with on the front fender.

Step 2 - lowering and remove the bumpers.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by Farrell Martin on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Great looking car and great choice on the rims and tires, really suits the car, looking forward to seeing it a bit lower. I was surprised to hear that you squeezed those 205s under the rear end. Did you have any issues fitting the wheels back on?

Here's a shot of my red C at a recent breakfast with a few friends. Mine is lowered all the way on the front adjusters, but I'd like to go another 1-2" lower so may elongate the front beam slots slightly. Do you plan on notching the front beam?

I've also followed your thread on what to do with the rear bumper side mounting holes, I've still not landed on my choice there yet.

A good site for some 356 browsing and inspiration is:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/porsche356/pool/

Keep us posted on your progress
Attachments
image.jpg
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece engine case to #336XX
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Vigot jack (late 54)

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#4 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Farrell,

You and I are on the same path with our C coupes. I have had mine for 22 years and since acquiring a C cab about 9 years ago, and since I love open cars the coupe has been driven less and less each year.

I made some noise in the spring about selling the coupe, and my wife forbade me; she has really come around after all these years!. So, I had to figure out a way to make it different enough form the cab to want to drive it = Mild Outlaw.

My steelies are done and on the car, but are 5.5" with 185/70 Vredesteins in order to keep the vintage tread pattern. It will have a GT driver's seat, a steering column extension, will be lowered, have mesh headlight covers, have a Skirmants camber regulator and right now I plan on keeping the bumpers on, but am monitoring your gathering of ideas on how to fill the holes left by removing them. Marchal fog lights will be upfront and.....I am putting a dual rally timer on the dash to give it that last nice little touch. I just have to figure out how to mount the timer on the glovebox door without drilling any holes.

Keep us posted on the progress of your car, we love pictures!

Regards,
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Alex Parmenter wrote: Here's a shot of my red C at a recent breakfast with a few friends. Mine is lowered all the way on the front adjusters, but I'd like to go another 1-2" lower so may elongate the front beam slots slightly.
Alex, very nice indeed. The stance of your car is terrific. That is probably about as low as I plan on going, but I'd still love to see a shot of it when lowered further.

It looks great without the bumpers. Hmmm....
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#6 Post by Farrell Martin »

Thanks guys.

Saying the tires are 205s was a type-o. I meant 195s

I have some family stuff do do today, but if I get some time, I am going to at least start the ride height project this afternoon. I have lowered several aircooled 911s and got to where I could do it pretty quickly, so am hoping the 356 will go somewhat smoothly.

As far as the front ride height, I am going to get the rears set where I want and then adjust the front to where it looks right. If I have to notch the beam to get there, then I will g that route. I will add pics as I progress .

Sebastian - let me know how the rallye timer thing works. And where did you get them?

Thanks - Farrell

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#7 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Sebastian and Farrell,

Thanks for the comments on the car. My bumpers came off originally as the front one is almost a shade of pink! But have not got round to repainting now and have come to like the look. That said there are a some great looking C coupe outlaws out there with bumpers that look fantastic so I may change in the future.

I think we're all on similar paths here, I took care of all my main jobs last year, now it's the fun tasks of adding accessories and playing with the suspension settings a little. Keep the photos coming!

Alex
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece engine case to #336XX
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Vigot jack (late 54)

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#8 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:...I just have to figure out how to mount the timer on the glovebox door without drilling any holes...
Sebastian, for my MGB, I machined a 1/4" aluminum plate to mount the watches on, then mounted the assembly to the glove box door using Velcro strips. Dummy bolts at each corner makes it appear to be permanently mounted.

Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#9 Post by Farrell Martin »

Got the bumpers removed and the Nerf bars and Marchals installed. Marchals are not wired up yet, will get to that later. I also am going to tweak the rear Nerf bars a hair and move them closer to the body about 1 3/4 inches.

I also monkeyed with the front ride height and lowered it as far as the factory ride height adjusters would allow, did not get a pcture of it. I Hope to tackle the rear ride height next weekend and will go after the front again at that time if it needs to be lowered more.

I think I am going to look into having a new piece of pipe made to replace the last bend of the S pipes. I want to have a pipe diameter just a bit larger in diameter than the factory diameter. I want it to exit the factory cut outs in the body, have it made of either stainless or paint it flat black, have it extend out from the body about 3 inches with a 30 degree cut on the end. Should be easy at a basic muffler shop I would think. We'll see.

Ran out of time to get a shot of the car out of the garage. Will get some of those this week.

-Farrell
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#10 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Emil Wojcik wrote:
Sebastian, for my MGB, I machined a 1/4" aluminum plate to mount the watches on, then mounted the assembly to the glove box door using Velcro strips. Dummy bolts at each corner makes it appear to be permanently mounted.
Emil,

Just what I was looking for solution wise.

Thanks so much,
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#11 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Ferrell,

Marchal's look great down low, looking forward to more pics of the car outside of the garage.

Regards,
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#12 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Nice Werke !
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#13 Post by Farrell Martin »

Thanks Mark. The wheels come from a mutual friend as I understand - Craig Joslin. I believe he said he has hung out with some down at Daytona.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#14 Post by C J Murray »

The stock tailpipes are a bit wimpy...

before:
DSC_0009.jpg
After:(camera distorts image)
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#15 Post by Farrell Martin »

C J Murray wrote:The stock tailpipes are a bit wimpy...

before:
DSC_0009.jpg
After:(camera distorts image)
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg

More than a bit - they are really wimpy. They will be changed.