Outlaw Progress

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

Re: Outlaw Progress

#16 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Here is a pic of the "big pipe" sport muffler on my cab that Marco Marinello makes.

I have the same on on my coupe, but if I go with no bumpers, it may look a bit off with the factory cutouts not being filled. Another reason I may keep the bumpers on.
Attachments
cab hubcaps1.jpg
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

C J Murray
356 Fan

#17 Post by C J Murray »

You have to be careful not to scrape the sport tailpipes but they do look good if the factory cutouts are filled. You can fill the cutouts with painted bolt on blanks just like the rear torsion bar holes are covered. Then you can delete the bumper guards.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mike Horton »

Farrell, Alex, just an idea for the rear bumper side mount holes. Several years back, Dr. Bret Johnson had some cast aluminum torsion bar hole fillers made up, with a black iron cross centered in the filler, and they looked great. These were a tribute clone to the ones IIRC Dean Jefferies made for that old original 356A outlaw show car he built up back in the late '50s. You could fab up some similar to these, with some aluminum sheet, cut to the proper size, and attached similar to the stock torsion bar covers, and then, make up an appropriately sized iron cross type emblem, for mounting in the center of the plug... my $.002
Mike (I left the bumper guards off my '57 back in '64, left the over riders, I thought it looked better)...
Mike

Curt Vesely
356 Fan

#19 Post by Curt Vesely »

Use carriage bolts. Nice rounded heads, bolt them on from the back and paint body color. They would be hard to see...

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#20 Post by Farrell Martin »

Here are a couple more pics of progress. Ride height lowered some, lights installed, new exhaust tips, new alignment. Not sure the front is low enough yet, but just going to drive it a while and see what happens.

We finally got a break in the rain. The sun came out and created a sauna, so the pics are a little hazy.

- Farrell
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1965 356C - Dolphin Grey, Blue Interior

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#21 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Farrell
That's a perfect stance at the back 8) , what combination of inner/outer splines did you use?
The lights and nerf bars looking great too!
What's next?
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece engine case to #336XX
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Vigot jack (late 54)

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#22 Post by Farrell Martin »

Thanks Alex. Don't remember the spline count. I knew I wanted between 1 - 1.5 inches lower, so I disassembled everything, measured from the rear of the trailing arm to the ground and subtracted about 1 1/4 inches. Then I adjusted the inner and outer splines until I got as close to that number as possible.

- Farrell

Alex Parmenter
356 Fan

#23 Post by Alex Parmenter »

Farrell

Thanks, that was my plan as well, and great to see how it looks after, I need to get busy with mine now. Do you think you'll go ahead and lower the front 1-2" as well?

Also did you replace the bushes on the torsion arms? I have a bit of squeaking from mine, my plan was to replace and cover the new ones with graphite powder as per factory specs, just wanted to get people's thoughts on graphite vs grease as I don't want a squeeky rear end :D
Always searching for parts for my Oct 54 Pre A coupe including these:
2 piece engine case to #336XX
Gear knob
Front bumper
Passenger sun visor
Bosch SH/ZS4/1 Ignition switch
Vigot jack (late 54)

Farrell Martin
356 Fan

#24 Post by Farrell Martin »

Hey Alex. I am going to drive it a little bit before I decide on the front, but I am thinking I will lower it some more.

As far as the bushings go, they were replaced not long ago by the PO so I did not need to do anything with them.

- Farrell

Neil M. Fennessey
356 Fan

#25 Post by Neil M. Fennessey »

Alex,

FYI the rear torsion bar bushings in Farrell's car are from John Willhoit. He casts his own and as I recall, they are slightly harder than stock.
Back to the Ivory Tower I go!
 - Neil
'67 912/356D (Ol' Blue)
'82 HP 34C

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#26 Post by Mike Horton »

Farrell, do drive it a while, and for what it's worth, I like it as is...

Mike (TX, who has driven a 356 extensively in the south, at least to Ft. Knox, KY, Ft. Hood, TX, and in the southwest, consider how it will ride, and I've loaded my old B fairly full, when it was my only transportation, back in the day, and never bottomed it out, my '57 A was stock, and I loved it that way)
Mike