944 Wheels

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

944 Wheels

#1 Post by Cliff Hanson »

I have a set of light weight alloy 944 (supposedly) spare tire wheels I am going to install on my 64 SC. What was the extra valve stem used for. Do most people weld up the hole? I have located a chrome button head metric bolt and rubber washer and nut inside (Loctited) that looks like it will work for sealing the hole - comments?

I would like to retain the look of the bead blasted aluminum alloy, so paint or powder coat? And can a tire be installed without screwing up the paint on the rim edge?
Attachments
944 Wheel .JPG
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: 944 Wheels

#2 Post by Emil Wojcik »

If they're bead blasted aluminum alloy, why paint them?
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Good point, Aluminum can corrode but not readily if you keep them clean. I don't think they would as easy to clean brake dust of that way though.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Dennis Wellner
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dennis Wellner »

I like the original alloy finish. I've had the 944 spaces on my 65C since 05. I left the second valve stem. I couldn't wait to get them mounted. I cleaned the labels off the wheels, waxed them and mounted 195 65 tires. I used the original lugs and nuts. They seemed long enough. The lug is almost through to the outside face of the nut. You might consider longer lugs.
Attachments
iPhone Photos 2 008.JPG

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Thanks for the photo, Dennis. I installed longer wheel studs and found a button head chrome bolt which I will try along with a rubber washer and locknut inside to seal the second valve stem hole. I plan on using 195-65 size tires as you. Do they clear the body front and back with the 944 wheels?
Attachments
944 Wheel Valve Stem Hole Bolt.JPG
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Dennis Wellner
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dennis Wellner »

Looks good. I have had no clearance issues with that tire size. Good luck.

Dennis

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Just remeasured the 944 wheel offset at 30mm (which is stamped on the wheel) compared to the 5-1/2" chrome wheels I also have at 42mm offset. As I recall (years ago) they MAY have needed about 1/4" spacers to prevent rubbing the radius arms. So the 30mm offset should be better, especially with 195-65 tires.
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#8 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Cliff Hanson wrote:I have a set of light weight alloy 944 (supposedly) spare tire wheels I am going to install on my 64 SC. What was the extra valve stem used for. Do most people weld up the hole? I have located a chrome button head metric bolt and rubber washer and nut inside (Loctited) that looks like it will work for sealing the hole - comments?

I would like to retain the look of the bead blasted aluminum alloy, so paint or powder coat? And can a tire be installed without screwing up the paint on the rim edge?
Cliff

The "extra valve stem" is actually a pop off valve to prevent overinflating of the space saver tire. You are doing the right thing by removing them. You will have no issues with spacing. The wheels fit just fine and will not cause any rubbing problems with an appropriate sized tire. I run 195 X 65 X 15 tires and have never had a problem. I do drive this car hard, too. You should replace the front studs with longer ones (at least 45MM vs the 40mm ones you already have. You don't need to change the rear ones as the stud will reach the end of the lug nut, and they are a royal pain in the butt to change, unless you have the hubs off the car already.

Regards

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#9 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Jim Breazeale wrote:
Cliff Hanson wrote:I have a set of light weight alloy 944 (supposedly) spare tire wheels I am going to install on my 64 SC. What was the extra valve stem used for. Do most people weld up the hole? I have located a chrome button head metric bolt and rubber washer and nut inside (Loctited) that looks like it will work for sealing the hole - comments?

Cliff

The "extra valve stem" is actually a pop off valve to prevent overinflating of the space saver tire. You are doing the right thing by removing them. You will have no issues with spacing. The wheels fit just fine and will not cause any rubbing problems with an appropriate sized tire. I run 195 X 65 X 15 tires and have never had a problem. I do drive this car hard, too. You should replace the front studs with longer ones (at least 45MM vs the 40mm ones you already have. You don't need to change the rear ones as the stud will reach the end of the lug nut, and they are a royal pain in the butt to change, unless you have the hubs off the car already.

Regards

Jim
Hi Jim,
I missed your post on the 10th, but I bought 20 new 45mm studs from you over 2-1/2 years ago now and replaced all of the originals as I recall the rears were also to short for full engagement of the nuts. Since the hubs were off, replacement was straightforward with a press.

Do you have any experience with Bridgestone Potenza 960A/S 195x65x15 tires on the 944 wheels?
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC