...and, time for new shocks.

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Anthony Hall Berry
356 Fan

...and, time for new shocks.

#1 Post by Anthony Hall Berry »

Thanks for the tire advice, now it is time for new shocks for the '65 SC.
I know of all the usual suspects, just looking for anecdotal experience from those who are pleased with their shock absorbers. I drive my car about 3,000 miles per season on two lane, sometimes twisty roads, and rarely ever get above 75mph.
I have had those KYB (?) gas shocks on the car and it seems pretty stiff, would like something a bit softer.
Thanks, Tony

Craig Richter
356 Fan

Re: ...and, time for new shocks.

#2 Post by Craig Richter »

Hi Tony,
IMHO KYBs don't work well on our 356s. They are gas-filled, always pushing the shock into a fully-extended position. This raises the ride height and gives a light 356 a very stiff ride. For your use stock shocks will work fine. Konis are good, just don't bother twisting them to the stiff setting, not needed for even twisty roads.
In defense of KYB, they work great off-road and on heavy cars/trucks.
Happy cruising.

Rob Green
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rob Green »

Tony,
Another vote for Koni's on soft setting. Good ride and good cornering control.

Rob

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Or save a buck and get the Boge shocks. You won't notice the difference.

Anthony Hall Berry
356 Fan

#5 Post by Anthony Hall Berry »

Thanks to Craig, Rob, and Vic,

I have ordered some Boges from Zim's and await their arrival.

Now, for my possibly silly, next question. I had my car decambered a number of years back, while the KYB shocks were on. It looks and handles great. Will the KYB shocks coming off, and the Boges going on, lower the car even more? I really don't want this result.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#6 Post by Craig Richter »

Tony, Not really a silly question, but one none of us could answer because we don't know exactly what was done to your car. All you can do is try 'em and see...

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Shock absorbers will not affect the ride height when under way. The high-pressure gas shocks will raise the car at rest. That's why I disconnect them when adjusting the rear camber; they will distort the stationary readings.

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

I'm betting that the car will sit a little lower with the new shocks. But don't make your decision until after you mount them and then drive the car a bit so everything can "settle" with the new configuration.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ashley Page »

Vic, which gas shock do you use? Gas shock only on a race car or do you use them on the street too?
Thanks

I'm a fan of bilstein for street use. Had them on my f-150 for over 200,000 miles. Also on 911 and 356. That said if someone snuk into my garage in the middle of the night and changed them to something else I might not notice the difference (except maybe on the truck where it handled noticeably better after the change - especially when towing).

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I don't use gas shocks.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

I am curious as to why the gas shocks only raise the car at rest. Isn't the gas pressure raising the car a little at all times, regardless of forward motion? Ashley, I love your comment. The same thinking would probably hold for most of us if our spark plugs were swapped for our least favorite brand, too. Also in my experience KYBs are good quality but pretty harsh- I wouldn't use them on my car, and when I have to put them on customer's modern cars, they do not love them. Luckily my wife has not complained about the set KYB gave me free for her Honda, to help change my mind about them.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#12 Post by Craig Richter »

Tony, Could you measure your camber with KYB, and then with Boge? That would give us a good reference point. Thanks...

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#13 Post by Vic Skirmants »

My understanding on the gas pressure shocks is that the gas merely keeps the fluid under control. If the gas pressure is too high, I suppose that could affect the spring rate even while driving. Input from knowledgeable others?

Anthony Hall Berry
356 Fan

#14 Post by Anthony Hall Berry »

Thanks all,

I will repost the results when the shocks are swapped out. However, my guy, JP at Van's (they take care of all the Hagerty Porsches), assures me that there will be no change to the height of the ride.

Going to put her back on the road next week.

Tony

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ashley Page »

I'm very far removed from being a shock expert but I have always set the ride height with the shocks installed. If a particular shock affected the static ride height then I just reset the ride height to where it was intended to be. It was never a cause to say oh I won't run that shock because the pressure raised the ride height.

The gas pressure shock claim is that it prevents or slows fluid cavitation for more consistent performance. If you get a chance to see the classic gas shock demonstration it might make a believer out of you. They have a sample shock that has a clear body where you can see the piston and oil and how the shock functions. You actuate the shock by hand when it has atmospheric pressure on the oil and you see the oil froth from cavitation. Then you take an air line and put a little pressure in the shock while the oil is still frothy and it clears instantly. Action of the shock with pressure on the oil shows zero cavitation. I saw that first hand almost 40 years ago at the race team where i worked and have been a believer since.

But it's still somewhat subjective as to which shock rides better and handles better.
When I replaced the worn out OEM shocks on my F 150 with bilsteins I noticed a different ride feeling - a little stiffer or firmer. But that quickly faded and became both normal and good.
I can see how someone might be turned off to that change.