type 1 or type 4 in a 356

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Ned Gorski
356 Fan

type 1 or type 4 in a 356

#1 Post by Ned Gorski »

i am still in the process finishing my body work but also trying to decide what to put in my 56 356 mild outlaw ... rebuild my original motor or use a type 1 or possibly a type 4
i already restored a concours 55 cab, swore i would never put my self through that again. so i am going to have fun with this one do it how i want, not how it came.. slight changes motor interior wheels make it look like a period racer.

i do so like the look and sound of the 911 cooling fan .. so i am keeping an eye out for a built type 1 or 4 nothing crazy 90-120hp .. plan on running my original rebuilt transmission.

seeing as Vw motors are quite common in 356. I would think by now there is someone making the tins to fit a Vw motor into a 356 ..why reinvent the wheel..

As i stated still trying to decide what to use.. i was hoping some one could educate me on the challenges or putting a Vw motor with a 911 fan in my 356
i am already aware of the dry sump, 12 volt conversion, the radiator and the tins.
so what other deciding factors are there that i should take into consideration ..
thanks in advance.

Thanks regards
Ned
55 cab
56 coupe

Rob Green
356 Fan

Re: type 1 or type 4 in a 356

#2 Post by Rob Green »

Ned,

If you like the 911 fan look and sound and want to use a VW based engine, take a look at Bernie Bergman's web site. He is a long time VW engine builder and has a line of engines using 911 style fans and shrouds that may work for you. He builds engines from mild to wild.

Good luck and post photos if you do it!
KTF

Rob Green
64 C Coupe
67 V.W. sunroof
and several leaking British cars
Last edited by Rob Green on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
althought i am not in complete agreement Jake Raby seems to have adressed the issues in a semi responsible fashion. you may do well by taking advantage of some of his inovations.
cheers
j

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Karaba »

kind of like I did in my Pre-A
Attachments
Porsche 018.jpg
Porsche 017.jpg
Porsche 016.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Jim- does that fan setup give the 911 whine, or is that cam chains, etc that makes a 911 sound that way? Is that a type IV engine? And where did you hide the AC condensor?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Scott Loraas
356 Fan

#6 Post by Scott Loraas »

For my '52, I also opted for a 911 style fan. I bought the bergmann kit to go with my type1 2110 turbo. I don't have it in the car yet.

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Karaba »

Yes it has a fan whine similar to a 911. It is a type one based 2276cc motor with 45mm Dellorto's. It also was a Bergmann kit. The condensor was behind the headlight standing upright with an electric fan pulling the air through. The evaporator case was in the rear blowing forward.
Attachments
356-3.jpg
356-2.jpg

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ned Gorski »

i have spoke with Jake regarding his motors very pricey( but i can say i have never heard a bad thing about the quality of his motors ) But he refuses to build a motor using anything but his down the center fan ..
i understand it distributes air more evenly.. i just don't like how it look .. it looks to much like a vw not to mention i love the sound and the look of the 911 fan..The dumb blond as Jake calls it, well i like what i like .. ..
i spoke with other builders they assured me that for the amount of hp i am looking to have (100 -120hp) there will be no cooling issue..
they simply add turning vanes to the back of the alternator..
Something that was not done when Jake did his air flow testing ( so i have been told ) .. i would be curios to see actual data on a type 1 motor with a 911 fan with a turning vane showing the cfm of air exiting each cylinder

its not so much the motor i am looking for info on .. i am more interested in the challenges of fitting the motor in a 356 and the benefit of one over the over for my proposed 100-120 hp
Jim what tins did you use?? were they off the shelf or did you have to fabricate them,also what transmission are you running? where did you mount the oil cooler?

Regards Ned
55 cab
56 coupe

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Karaba »

Believe it or not I was running the original split case pre-a trans (1953 synchro). Just no clutch dumping. The oil cooler was mounted in the left rear fender and had a thermostatically controlled fan. As for the tin, it was mostly home built. I used some scrap straight length seal channel sections from a VW beetle and welded them to some flat sheetmetal with a 90 degree edge. Those spanned the gap from the fiberglass shroud to the sides of the engine compartment sheetmetal. I used a factory rear piece over the bellhousing (don't think I needed to modify it). The large piece in front of the engine around the pulley was a stock one as well but it needed about an inch sectioned out of it to fit. I need to find my video I took of the car for the guy who bought it. I videoed the details fairly well.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ned Gorski »

Jim i would love to see the video if you find it.

Regards Ned

kenneth ho
356 Fan

#11 Post by kenneth ho »

when I got my 1955 it had a type four in there with dual 40 webers the look VW guru

(Lani Berg) suggested that I get rid of the boat anchor and

install a type one motor 1904 -pauter crank , cnc wedge heads, engle fk7 cam, match

ported manifolds ,dual 48 webers and brennie bergman full oil cooling system and fan

shourd with 911 fan and charging system, protronic coil and distributor and vintage

speed custom exhuast

runs great/ mello enough for a driver but rowdy enough to match race