Stock transmission are they all the same

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Ned Gorski
356 Fan

Stock transmission are they all the same

#1 Post by Ned Gorski »

I was hoping to get a little information on the 356 transmissions..
i am still up in the air on the motor i will be using in my 56 European keeping the original motor under the bench for now..
from my research, it appears i can get more bang for my buck with a type 4.
I am considering a slightly modified type 4 nothing over the top 120 -150hp
i would love to tuck away the original trans and use a built Vw Rancho trans but the geometry is not there, unless i am missing something.
i don't plan on beating on or racing the car, just mildly spirited driving.weather permitting . ..
The original trans runs and drives quite nice and i would like to keep it that way.
so what are my options??? can a stock 1956 transmission hold together with 150hp?or would a later model 356 trans be better suited ?? is there anything aftermarket that will work without modifying the car??
thanks in advance

Regards Ned
55 Continental cab
56 European coupe

David Baugh
356 Fan

Re: Stock transmission are they all the same

#2 Post by David Baugh »

Check the archives, Ned. A couple of years ago, someone posted some really detailed drawings for a mount adapter for the VW transaxle. It was most likely before the "Outlaw" board was established. Wish I'd saved that one.

Dave
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe

David Baugh
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Baugh »

Ned, check page #2 of this forum. "VW 12 volt transaxle conversion" should get you started (or stopped). It has a link to the thread that I was recalling.

Dave
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ned Gorski »

David thanks for the link very helpful....

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Ned, I know some guys have put a Rancho gearbox in to handle more power, like from a Type IV motor, or you can do a 901 if you support it right, that way it stays Porsche, and you can pick up 901's cheap.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Adam
I hate to agree with you but the 911 IRS conversion is the most elegant and robust.
Good on you
jacques your partner in ?????

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Bryan »

Happy New Year!
Is there a resource from someone who has gone down that road - i.e., installed a 901 rear suspension and transmission? I'd like to see a good pictoral documentation if it exists . . .
Greg Bryan

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi
Rod Emory has done more than anyone i know. He even has done some with anular brakes. Unfortunately i will disagree with Adam in that the parts are easy to come by since early 911s are becoming the new 356 in the market place. However there should be enought oportunities to gather the bits for the few that want to try it. In the long run a VW based conversion would be advantageous to the rest.
j

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Bruce Baker did the 901 conversion on a 52 Coupe I sold to a guy, 12009. I also sold him the 912 that became the famous BBE rickshaw, before they harvested the gearbox and rear suspension.
Jacques, what I meant by easy and cheap for a 901 is you can find a whole 912 rolling for under $2000 if you want, sometimes cheaper, I know I sold that one rickshaw one for less than that. So considering the costs of a 356 gearbox versus a 9 series box the prices are much better, a 901 gearbox by itself normally sells for $400-600, far less than a comparable 356 box. Nothing Porsche is truly cheap, it is just sometimes cheaper...
Attachments
unob-car1.jpg
52leaving.jpg
rickshaw3.jpg
rickshaw1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.