Carrera Speedster rear wing oil cooler mounting info needed

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Nigel Cousins
356 Fan

Carrera Speedster rear wing oil cooler mounting info needed

#1 Post by Nigel Cousins »

Hi

I am looking for information/ details / photo's of the cooler set up for carrera speedsters who had the oil coolers mounted in the rear wing area and NOT up front. I have found references to it in a few books but no photo's or mounting details.

I hope someone can help and thank you for your time

My best

Nigel

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Carrera Speedster rear wing oil cooler mounting info nee

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

NEVER heard of that! There is an oil tank in the left rear wing/fender. That's probably what some uninformed books referenced.
There is also no meaningful airflow in the rear fender area, so it would be a poor choice for a cooler.

Nigel Cousins
356 Fan

#3 Post by Nigel Cousins »

Hi
The reference is on page 141 the last paragraph of the Technical and Reference Guide isbn 0-929758-10-2
Some carrera GT speedsters have a pair of "early" stock 356 coolers mounted on an aluminium manifold blocks behind the horn grills , others have a pair in the right rear fender well behind the wheel.

Any leads welcomed.

My best
Nigel

Charlie White
356 Fan

#4 Post by Charlie White »

Oops.......wrong Carrera!

CW
Last edited by Charlie White on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie White

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

"others have a pair in the right rear fender well behind the wheel."
THAT, I'd like to see.
Anyone?
Yes, I did just read that in the book; I want to see a real one.

Nigel Cousins
356 Fan

#6 Post by Nigel Cousins »

Hi
Duane Spencer also makes reference to coolers mounted in the rear fender of Carrera Speedsters on page 25 of the Performance handbook.

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#7 Post by Bill Sargent »

Hi Nigel,

I am no Carrera expert but if there were Carrera speedsters with the two of the engine oil coolers in the right rear fender (left rear being occupied by the oil tank) they were likely the later plain bearing cars as the roller bearing Carreras did not use coolers. Much shorter hard and soft oil lines for this location and therefore less places to leak, even if less efficient.

My guess would be that they either used the same manifold blocks as used for front fender mounting with some sort of mounting bracket and plumbing between them. It is also conceivable that they might have used the double oil cooler mount used by Porsche for their 1959-60 aircraft motors. I saw one at Ibrahim Kuzu's shop and it was a single unit made to take two engine coolers side by side with internal passages to each cooler with one line in and one out. I think Ibraham may have posted a photo of the double cooler manifold on the forum. would not be too hard to machine one, especially with the diagram I think I sent of the single cooler manifold block.

Best regards from Beijing!
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Nigel,
In my copy of Spencer's book, the reference is on page 26. Mine is the 2001 edition.
I still have never heard of that, and will persist in my belief that it didn't happen. There is no meaningful airflow back there for a cooler.
Simply referencing some statement in print by one author, who may have gotten the story from some other erroneous source, does not make it a fact.
PLEASE! If there is anyone out there who can prove me wrong, please do so before I continue to make ludicrous statements.
The left rear fender is a perfect location for a full-flow filter, but not a cooler.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Oh please Vic, keep making ludicrous statements, you are very good at it and it can be quite entertaining.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#10 Post by Bill Sargent »

Hi Nigel,

I found the photos I took of the aircraft double oil cooler mount while visiting Ibrahim Kuzu. See below. Even if you had one of these you would need to figure out how to mount it in the right rear fender and also a bracket to hold the tops of the coolers. See my Faux Cam thread for photos on how the tops of the coolers were held in place in the front fender mount location.
Top of the mount showing how the coolers mounted.
Top of the mount showing how the coolers mounted.
Bottom of the mount.  inlet and outlet clearly seen.  Also two studs which are likely used to mount the manifold.  As you can see it is cast aluminum.
Bottom of the mount. inlet and outlet clearly seen. Also two studs which are likely used to mount the manifold. As you can see it is cast aluminum.
Hope this helps a little.

Bill Sargent
64C cab 159176
59A cab 151489 - the Faux Cam
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Thanks, Bill.
Now we need a photo of the installation; anybody?
Although it does say AIRCRAFT, doesn't it?

Nigel Cousins
356 Fan

#12 Post by Nigel Cousins »

Hi Bill and Vic
Thank you for the responses, I am keen to see if we can get a as installed photo too.
Bill I am thinking along the same lines as you, much easier plumbing to put it in the rear arch, but is it a myth ?
As you must of guessed I am at the, where to put the oil coolers stage of my project.
My best
Nigel

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#13 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I'll say it again. There is no meaningful airflow back there.
An aircraft dual-mount cooler doesn't have anything to do with an automotive installation.
Until someone produces a photo of this mythical right-rear oil cooler installation, I will remain skeptical.
Nigel, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one. :D

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jack Walter »

Vic - you're shooting holes in my ideas before I even get to post them. I was thinking of locating an oil cooler back in the right rear fender since all you guys say the plain bearing engines require one. I thought that since the roller bearing engines relied on the tank in the left rear fender to cool the oil (via the internal summer/winter baffle plate) that putting a cooler in the right rear fender would work. With the custom bodywork on my car making it impossible to run front mounted coolers I need to find another location for an oil cooler.

I also have this unidentified Behr cooler with the same fittings as the oil lines so I was thinking of using it. Got any suggestions?

Dave Merz
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dave Merz »

Vic's right, no 356, Carrera or pushrod, ever came with a cooler in the RR!

Dave