how rare is this outlaw badge?

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
kenneth ho
356 Fan

how rare is this outlaw badge?

#1 Post by kenneth ho »

how rare and how many where made?

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Re: how rare is this outlaw badge???

#2 Post by Roy Lock »

Not $3000 worth of rare. But if you have the desire to own it, then bid away!
For those who do not know, someone has put this badge up on eBay with a price of $3000.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joris Koning »

I believe that Gary and Rod hand these badges out to cars they feel represent the true outlaw spirit. So probably the "cheapest" way to get one is to built a bitchin outlaw, drive it up to their annual camp out and see if they share your feeling :D
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

kenneth ho
356 Fan

#4 Post by kenneth ho »

Joris Koning wrote:I believe that Gary and Rod hand these badges out to cars they feel represent the true outlaw spirit. So probably the "cheapest" way to get one is to built a bitchin outlaw, drive it up to their annual camp out and see if they share your feeling :D
to make the camp it will cost about $2300 to have my car shipped to continental United States and back to Hawaii :wink:

Louis Paras
356 Fan

#5 Post by Louis Paras »

kenneth ho wrote:
Joris Koning wrote:I believe that Gary and Rod hand these badges out to cars they feel represent the true outlaw spirit. So probably the "cheapest" way to get one is to built a bitchin outlaw, drive it up to their annual camp out and see if they share your feeling :D
to make the camp it will cost about $2300 to have my car shipped to continental United States and back to Hawaii :wink:
Yes but you will have a $1,000,000 worth of memories :-)

Antoine Godschalk
356 Fan

Re: how rare is this outlaw badge?

#6 Post by Antoine Godschalk »

Would anybody be interested in a remake of that badge?

I want an emblem like that for quite some and I found a company that can reproduce them for appr. $ 100.00 a piece...

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Do you think maybe Gary Emory might not like that idea??
Since this was an "award" they gave out, I would think it would be quite wrong to slap one on your own car. Like the "faux" army veterans who wear medals they never earned!

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by George Bryan »

Gary gave me a badge many moons ago for my black 58 S/R coupe & it is one of my prized 356 items. Back then tricking out a 356 didn't matter much to most, but getting notice from Gary Emory did...and still does.

There are not a lot of the badges out there. I think this is one of the few remaining 356 things that has not been copied. I suspect because of the abiding respect out there for Gary's award and his status in the 356 community.

I would have no interest in seeing them reproduced. I think buying your way in cheaply for a coveted 356 item you have not earned is wrong.

Regards,
George

George Walling
356 Fan

#9 Post by George Walling »

To all the 356 folks that have not made the Emory Campout I would recommend that if there is anyway you can get to the campout it will be one of your greatest experiences. I took my little non-restored Lavender Speedster to it last year (2011). This was my first 356 outting since I bought the car in 1965, The engine in the car is very tired so I had to haul it the 350 miles on a trailer which just killed me, but when I got there I was met by the greatest bunch of 356 folks I've ever had the pleasure to me. Gary and Rod Emory are the greatest folks and took me on a tour of there operation which is one of the nicest operation I've seen.
I feel like Vic to buy the outlaw badge and display it on a car that did not win the badge at the Campout would be a great slap in the face of all the true award winning Out Law cars. Just like wearing a Medal that you did not earn while serving are Country. Well that my 2 cent worth. George
George E Walling

Charlie White
356 Fan

#10 Post by Charlie White »

Why not design something else, rather than copy Gary Emory's badge?

CW
Charlie White

Rod Emory
356 Fan

#11 Post by Rod Emory »

Thanks guys for sticking up for the "Original Outlaw Badge"

The term "356 Outlaw" was a name given to The Emory's in the early 80’s because we were not afraid to install race and rally inspired accessories to a vintage Porsche. At a time when full concourse restorations were at their peak and the owners were using q-tips to clean the dust out of the defrost vents, we were putting wide wheels and race numbers on our 356’s and driving them the way Porsche intended them to be driven. We had a good friend of ours start hand making these badges and for 30 years we have awarded these to others that share the same passion and spirit that we have for these cars. I agree with Vic, Charlie, George, Joris, and Louis that this is something that should not ever be sold or reproduced. We have never and will never sell them.
Rod Emory
971-241-7017
www.EmoryMotorsports.com

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#12 Post by Barry Brisco »

Rod Emory wrote:...and the owners were using q-tips to clean the dust out of the defrost vents...
Rod, thanks for that image! :-) Some much needed humor: you made my day!

I hope Antoine has been persuaded not to have that badge copied. To do so would be doing a disservice to Gary.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Charlie White
356 Fan

#13 Post by Charlie White »

Ditto, Barry's comment!

CW
Charlie White

kenneth ho
356 Fan

#14 Post by kenneth ho »

Rod Emory wrote:Thanks guys for sticking up for the "Original Outlaw Badge"

The term "356 Outlaw" was a name given to The Emory's in the early 80’s because we were not afraid to install race and rally inspired accessories to a vintage Porsche. At a time when full concourse restorations were at their peak and the owners were using q-tips to clean the dust out of the defrost vents, we were putting wide wheels and race numbers on our 356’s and driving them the way Porsche intended them to be driven. We had a good friend of ours start hand making these badges and for 30 years we have awarded these to others that share the same passion and spirit that we have for these cars. I agree with Vic, Charlie, George, Joris, and Louis that this is something that should not ever be sold or reproduced. We have never and will never sell them.

I hope I did not offend anyone and I apologize( especially you Mr.Rod Emory) if I did all I wanted to know how was how many was made and how rare are they

Rod Emory
356 Fan

#15 Post by Rod Emory »

Hey Kenneth....

Its all good. No offense taken. There are less than 100 out there. So they are pretty rare.
Rod Emory
971-241-7017
www.EmoryMotorsports.com