1956 Outlaw w/Rustina on Ebay

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

1956 Outlaw w/Rustina on Ebay

#1 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Surprised this coupe hasn't made it in the Outlaw thread yet. It currently has 8hrs left & still has not met its reserve. Highest bid so far $41,000.

Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

Re: 1956 Outlaw w/Rustina on Ebay

#2 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Some Text from the Ebay ad:

"Languishing for decades under an orange tree behind the locked gates of a secluded orchard high above the new-age enclave of Ojai, Calif., this Reutter bodied 1956 Porsche 356A, VIN *57812*, was recently discovered by an enthusiast and PCA member who happens to be a retired Porsche and Volkswagen master technician, living in Santa Barbara. He took his time going through the entire car, system by system, refurbishing every one of them as needed, to turn the car -- lovingly called Die Ratte (German for "The Rat") -- into a fun and reliable daily driver once again.

The car was owned during the late 1960s by an architect teaching at USC and resided in Beverly Hills, then in La Canada, before finding its way up to the Santa Barbara/Lompoc area in '72. The receipts bear the names of many famous, long-defunct Porsche emporiums like Estes-Zipper, Porschop, Anything Ltd., Allred Porsche, Boggs & MacBurnie, and Lavia Porsche-Audi.

Being 56 years old, chassis No. *57812* has benefitted trememdously from having spent its entire life in Southern California. Though obviously exposed to the elements, ridden hard, and put away wet more than once, the car still features straight coachwork with good gaps. Doors and deck lid fit excellently; the hood was kinked at one time, and there's been a repair to the nose, but it's still the factory original sheet metal all the way. Corrosion is limited; apart from the mild surface rust here and there, all we can see would be the usual bubbling on the lower outside door skins.

Bumpers were ditched, decades ago, in favor of nerf bars. Those, along with some mild lowering, slightly wider rolling stock, a TALBOT mirror, and CARELLO quartz-iodine fog lights, resulted in the very popular California Outlaw look. We love it!

A most interesting aspect of Die Ratte and a big part of its outsize personality must be its unique livery. Originally Rennsport Silver, the car was painted Icon Gold sometime during the swingin' Sixties and, finally, black. The merciless Ojai sun burned off most of the black paint, resulting in a rolling piece of art displaying a fantastic patina only the passage of time itself could have created. You cannot fake this look. No way! "
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Erik Thomas »

Land of fruits and nuts...

Imagine you wake up from a 3 day bender and find.. yikes, that thing in your yard. Throw a blanket over it at least.

Phillip Blacklock
356 Fan

#4 Post by Phillip Blacklock »

I'm very sorry. I like it as is.
PBlacklock

1963 356 B-Californian Import-SOLD
1980 911 SC sunroof coupe
1978 Kombi Campervan
1993 Mazda MX5

Kevin Wiggins
356 Fan
Tag: Fight the Power!

#5 Post by Kevin Wiggins »

I love the license plate frame. Cool car.
Fight the Power!

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Kevin Wiggins wrote:I love the license plate frame. Cool car.
I got a good laugh out of the plate frame too. Last June I was at the summer OCTO bus meet & picked up an original paint plate frame that said "Dont Laugh, it's paid for". It would be perfect for this outlaw.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#7 Post by Barry Brisco »

The "California Classix" guys are always very "creative" in their descriptions.

Quote: "Corrosion is limited". Yes, only to the body.

Quote: "Original front seats display slightly distressed look." Yes, just a hint of unhappiness.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

kenneth ho
356 Fan

#8 Post by kenneth ho »

not to sure about guys selling car
bernard agreed via telephone to sell me the 356 at 39k at about 1/2 hour into the posting on ebay and he a sured me that it was a deal BUT he had to talk to bill to see how to handle payment

bernard is a really nice guy and i thought we had a gentlemens agreement any way you can fill in the rest

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brian R Adams »

Wow, I better bump up the agreed value with Hagerty on my car. $39K for this project? Is there something in the pedigree I missed? If it was really straight (no "repair to the nose" or "bubbling on the lower outside door skins") ... I guess I'm getting on in years ...
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#10 Post by Rusty Willey »

I'm with you Brian. Don't get me wrong, I really love the look of this thing but if this rig is worth 40G I think I might have to sell my ratty rig and use that loot to build a nice one!!!
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

kenneth ho
356 Fan

#11 Post by kenneth ho »

I have a 15 footer ,just wanted ratty one

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#12 Post by Erik Thomas »

Perhaps it is an age thing.

I spent my formative years driving old cars I could get for under 400 bucks, this included a 356A, a Jaguar XKE coupe, and many MG's and VW's I would rip the skin off my fingers and sleep on a cot in the workshop to save money to rebuild them. If I was short the cash for painting the car, I would settle for a can of gray Woolsley yacht paint and lay that on with a brush. At least it protected the metal.

How anyone can see "value" in the decrepitude is beyond me. I see only project.

I get a chuckle of of people painting cars to look like flat paint, like it is some sort of top secret "old speed" thing. Back then we just said it was "waiting for paint"

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#13 Post by Trevor Gates »

Ken - It's back, better luck this time. Ebay item # 160733706090.

BTW, I love the car!
https://www.instagram.com/trevorcgates/

kenneth ho
356 Fan

#14 Post by kenneth ho »

thanks Trevor over it already' reserve @ 40k plus NUTS

Brad K

#15 Post by Brad K »

hey guys - just my thoughtful $.02

- these bids seem way above market for a 356 in this condition - it smelled like "chandelier bidding" to me

- if you look at the bidders for this listing, and look at the bidding history of the top bidders, you'll see they all have extraordinarily high bidding percentages with this seller, i.e., the percentage of all bids from this bidder that went to this specific seller - in fact several of the high bidders have 100% bidding history with this seller, which means they only bid on ebay with this seller

- i am not making any comment on the seller or buyers - i am just pointing out these facts, and the logical conclusion to investigate further, prior to buying at this price

- hope this helps - brad in seattle

p.s. per the license plate, i wonder what his other car looks like?