Engine swap advice

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
scott veazie
356 Fan

Engine swap advice

#1 Post by scott veazie »

Please forgive if this subject has been addressed before. I'm restoring a 59A coupe. I don't have a motor at all. So I was thinking about using a late 60's 912 motor and building it a bit? Does anyone have any advice for me as to what would work or not work for that matter. Would like very much to talk with someone who has done this swap. Also will be looking for a complete motor with all the stuff! Would like it to be a local find in SoCal. I can be reached at 909-395-6808 most all the time.

Thanks

Scott

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

Re: Engine swap advice

#2 Post by Mike Klapac »

Harry Pellow's ABC's and 912's book has a very thorough explanation on how to do this, though I'm not sure on the availability of the book today.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Scott

We run a late ( 616/40) 912 Engine of 1969 era in our 61 T5 Coupe over here in the UK
This was really the last '356' Type Engine that Porsche ever made for production.
It makes for a very reliable street Engine, without going the VW Type 4 route (which isn't of course a Porsche engine) Avoid the 1968 Emissions/Smog engine which ran hot and had problems ( Not sure if this was a 616/36) but it had the air pump and modified Cylinder Heads.
We followed our Dear and Recently Departed Friend Duane Spencer's procedures from his Book " Porsche 356 Performance Guide" Convert the 912 Engine for use in a 356 . No problems at all, the hardest Item to source was the 200mm Flywheel required for use in the 356. We stayed with 6 Volts so used the original genny on the 356 generator stand. Also used a 6 Volt electronic Tacho as the Oil Pump Cover doesn't have the Drive, We modified our Engine for Full Flow Oil Filtration, so changed the Oil Pump Cover anyway.
Don't know if Duane's book is still available, but I do have a very Well Thumbed Old Second Copy that You could have for a few dollars plus the postage across the Pond.

Cheers

Jay

Sean Davis
356 Fan

#4 Post by Sean Davis »

Hi Jay am also in the UK and considering this type of conversion. Any idea (approximately) what I should be paying for a similar engine to yours and also, is the conversion completely reversible?
Sean Davis