Which wheels for the better look - confusion

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#1 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

I have 165/15 in the front and the back of my 356A.
I was never too happy with the way how the car sits on the tires (kind of like an raised egg on skinny wheels). At the meetings I get the feeling that everyone is lower and wider - never got the chance to ask someone how though.

I dropped the front by adjusting the front beams. This is already better. Now the rear could go down approx. 1.5" to level the car. Should I do it with adjusting the torsion bars in the back?

I am also considering to put bigger tires (I have 4.5s in the front and the rear). I understand that the biggest tire for the rim is a 185 - will they make a difference for the appearance?
And here is the million-$-question: Is there a RWL (raised white letter) tire for this rim and the car??? I did quite some research (online and on the phone with Coker etc.) and could not find any.

I guess, I am confused. This picture though shows kind of what I want (although I have seen a lot pics here where the rim in the rear is definitely lower - in line or behind the fender):

Phillip Blacklock
356 Fan

#2 Post by Phillip Blacklock »

I seem to remember many years ago buying some white paint in stick form for applying to the raised lettering on tyres' sidewalls which was a cheap way of obtaining the look you are after if you are unable to locate some suitable tyres. It was available from the local autoshop (1970s though)

Phillip
PBlacklock

1963 356 B-Californian Import-SOLD
1980 911 SC sunroof coupe
1978 Kombi Campervan
1993 Mazda MX5

Joseph Annicelli
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joseph Annicelli »

My guess the car in the photo is running some 500/15 Goodyear Bluestreak race tire on a 5.5 or 6 rim. Great look but not a good street set up + Goodyears in this size aren't being made now.

Joe
Joe

Michael Eker

#4 Post by Michael Eker »

The car in the photo looks like a "B" Carrera GT.

Is it?

http://www.qv500.com/porsche356bp3.htm

meker

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#5 Post by Barry Brisco »

Impossible to say with certainty without seeing the car in person,
but it appears to be.

By the way, on that same website at
http://www.qv500.com/carsforsale.php there are two vintage racing
photos showing 356s. The first one shows a starting grid with three
356 coupes ready to roll.

Barry

---------------------------------------------------------
At 9:37 -0700 9/5/08, Michael Eker wrote:
The car in the photo looks like a "B" Carrera GT.

Is it?

http://www.qv500.com/porsche356bp3.htm

meker
Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

JOEL JENSEN

#6 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Car in photo is an A outlaw of some sort. Nice 'trackster' look. 185 is as much as you want to go on 4- 1/2 inch rims. Get a set of 5- 1/2's and have them powder coated with the 185 rubber. Drop the rear with the torsion bars and make sure you replace all your bushings when you have it apart. You will be amazed at the handling improvement, with the caveat that the steering will require a little more effort. Perhaps Coker can provide you with the Good Years if you want them. Back in the day there were paintsticks available to do the tire lettering. Perhaps they are still out there. If not a white Sharpie paintstick should do the trick.

Thomas Canty
356 Fan

#7 Post by Thomas Canty »

Last edited by Thomas Canty on Tue May 04, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOEL JENSEN

#8 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

For those purporting this car to be a B GT, you might want to look at the license plate light,
low bumpers, rounded front fenders and low front headlights. GT, maybe. Carrera, maybe but definitely not a B.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#9 Post by Barry Brisco »

Joel, the ad at http://www.qv500.com/porsche356bp3.htm states it's a 1960 model year car, so it's a T5 B, not a T6 B. Also note the gas tank type.

The photo posted by Dirk Heinrich shows a T2 car.

Barry
JOEL JENSEN wrote:For those purporting this car to be a B GT, you might want to look at the license plate light, low bumpers, rounded front fenders and low front headlights. GT, maybe. Carrera, maybe but definitely not a B.
Last edited by Barry Brisco on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

John Alfenito
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Alfenito »

The car in the ad is a T-5.
The car in the first post (the red one) is definitely a T-2.
Apples. Oranges.
[url=http://www.infive.com][img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u316/WardAutomotiveGruppe/JohnLeaderPics/PixelButton.gif[/img][/url]

Tim Herman
356 Fan

#11 Post by Tim Herman »

The RED car in Dirk's post is a GT lightweight A coupe

The SILVER car in Michael and Barry's posts is a T-5 B GT coupe
Tim Herman #2197
www.carreramotorsport.com

JOEL JENSEN

#12 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

John Alfenito wrote:The car in the ad is a T-5.
The car in the first post (the red one) is definitely a T-2.
Apples. Oranges.
Correct John. apparently the original post regarding the red coupe in the initial post
being a B GT, the post that Michael refers to in his post and the one I was referring too,
has been removed.

Ed Cave
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ed Cave »

Here are some images, front and rear of what I'm certain is the same red car discussed in this thread. These additional views should help in making a positive I.D. <grin> and pick up on other details like the fact that it is RHD and other things that peg it as a '59.

Is it ok to fall in love with a car?.......'cause I really like this one!

Ed Cave
 Member No. 10615

1958 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
1998 Porsche Carrera S
2014 Porsche 911/50 - Coming in the fall of 2013

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Thx for the tips guys! And I am glad the picture inspired some of you to 'scrabble' the model.

The pen is bad - I have tried it on my truck and it turned out crappy. I guess, I'll lower the rear first and see how I like it. I tried the lowering by readjustment of the torsion bars on my 1963 VW Ragtop today and failed (multiple reasons - plus too boring for one person alone), but came to a better understanding what it entails; the lowering of the 356 has to wait :(

I continued researching RWL - found quite a few good looking tires. Unfortunately they never have the right size. Maybe I will buy the 5." rims ... sigh.

Here is what I think would be really cool:

or:

paul kelley
356 Fan

Re: Which wheels for the better look - confusion

#15 Post by paul kelley »

Hi All

Has anybody seen wire wheels on a "C"?
I seem to recall a photo in a 356 book showing a car in Switzerland. Any info would be appreciated.

Have fun

Paul Kelley