Building an Outlaw - Need Help

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Kevin Torre
356 Fan

Building an Outlaw - Need Help

#1 Post by Kevin Torre »

Hello All,

I am new to the registry and have gotten some great insight. I have decided to build an Outlaw and just got a crazy quote of $200K (he did say he was on the top end) for a nut and bolt restoration not including the car. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it myself.

So I am not looking for anything too crazy:

-356C car
-Maybe a type IV engine
-New paint
-New interior

Pretty straight foward. How much should it cost? Ballpark? Any recommendations for a restoration shop?

Thanks!

Kevin

Jose Luis Garcia
356 Fan

Re: Building an Outlaw - Need Help

#2 Post by Jose Luis Garcia »

Did you try Excellence Mag Directory of vendors ? . Also in the Magazine they have been showing very nice 356s Outlaws with : 3.2 Lts Engines , 911 Populus engines, Turbos and Big Bore 912 Engines to name a few . Pretty neat stuff.

Kevin Torre
356 Fan

#3 Post by Kevin Torre »

I have not seen it...I will get it. Thanks!

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rusty Willey »

KCW in Grand Junction CO can build you a nice Outlaw for less than half of that unless you are starting out with a third of a car and no parts :D :D My A, the owners Pre A and a half dozen other non stock 356 builds have come out of that shop as well as dozens of magazine featured restorations of vintage VW's. Cool part is, you will most likely be driving the thing less than six months from the time he starts!!! Obviously the sky is the limit and you can throw an endless amount of loot into any project but a cool driver 356 shouldn't cost $200G unless you want it to.
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Brad K

#5 Post by Brad K »

looks like you passed the more brains than money test :wink: - here's a link to three ex-emory outlaws for sale, which maybe or can be ready for the street:

http://www.carreraporsche.com/preowned_vehicles

if you don't know who gary emory is, then you should, if you want to figure out outlaws:

http://www.emorymotorsports.com/outlaws

i appreciate a perfect multiple 6 figure build, but for the real world, you can buy what was once someone's 6 figure build, for much less, and enjoy the hell out of it!

good luck - hope this helps - brad in seattle

George Walling
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Walling »

Get a hold of Rod or Gary Emory at www.emorymotorsports.com or try www.obsoleteparts.com They build outlaws and would know of any that maybe for sale. Great people and always willing to help us 356 folks out. Good luck and welcome.
George E Walling

Kevin Torre
356 Fan

#7 Post by Kevin Torre »

Thanks all. The recommendations are getting more realistic. They are coming in under $100K which is making more sense. Looks like it will depend on what kind of donor car I can purchase. Seems like it is tough to find a C car. Please keep the recommendations coming and thanks again.

Shane Balkowitsch
356 Fan

Hamilton Outlaw

#8 Post by Shane Balkowitsch »

www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm

Talk with Bill Hamilton at Hamilton Classics, those other amounts are ridiculous, my car has made it into 4 Car Magazines and has received much praise online, it can get done for much cheaper. Bet of luck.

Thanks,
Shane
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw
Don't Hate Me for My Outlaw Tendencies
356 Registry Member #: 31354
http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72623#72623