Looking for Wide Five "Fuchs" Wheel Specs

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Brad K

Looking for Wide Five "Fuchs" Wheel Specs

#1 Post by Brad K »

hey guys - i've looked at the wheel spec info post and everywhere else i could think of, but to no avail - i am looking for the weight, dimensions, and offset #'s for the wide-five "fuchs" look wheel (on first page of posts on non-stock wheel thread) - any info would be most appreciated - thanks, brad

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: Looking for Wide Five "Fuchs" Wheel Specs

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hi Brad,

I don't know the width of the Fuchs you are interested in (I can't tell which 356Talk post you mean by "wheel spec info post ", a link would be helpful), but if you go to this page:

http://porsche356registry.org/resources ... ypes-.html

You will see both the 4.5 and 5.5 Fuchs listed.

Click the small photos of the wheels and that will take you to a page with more detailed information, including this by Eric Nichols:
Eric Nichols wrote:The 4.5" Fuchs wheel, which was original equipment on the 1967 911S (and optional on other models), was only offered in 1967. It had a unique paint scheme; note the small triangles of black paint around the lug nuts. The Porsche part number is 901.361.012.01, which appears on the interior of one spoke, in ink on the earliest wheels, and in raised numbers in later wheels from the same year. There is also a small engraving of a fox (Fuchs in German) on the interior of the wheel near the enter hole.

5.5 wheel is PN 901.361.012.04

Both the 4.5 and 5.5 wheels have a 42mm offset according to http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/WheelWts.html

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Brad K

#3 Post by Brad K »

thanks barry - i'm looking for any wide five "fuchs" info - those are for drum brake cars - photo attached - any help would be great - thanks again, brad
Attachments
076.jpg

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

Brad, who made that wheel? I assume it is not made by Fuchs?
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Brad K

#5 Post by Brad K »

hey barry - i believe these were made by american eagle - they are not fuchs - that's why i used quotes! some folks like them, some hate them - i'm just interested in the specs! thanks again, brad

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

I think there have been a couple of different makes of the Fadooks, or as my brother likes to call fake Fuchs, Babba-ga-nooks. There are always a few guys selling sets on the samba, you can probably email one of them and ask about specs. We have only had one set over the years, they came on an A Coupe.
Attachments
babba1.jpg
babba.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#7 Post by Rusty Willey »

I love these!!!! Just scored a set two months ago. A cheap way to make your VW look "Porschey" back in the day. They were unpopular for years and went out of production but now they are starting to be viewed as more of a cool vintage speed wheel. I see sets going for $1000 on Samba nowadays. Mine are going to replace the BRM's on my A or going to go on my 52 Standard Split Bug!!

Brad, if you don't get an answer sooner I will be back from traveling in a month and a half and can measure those things for you when I get home. I bet a Samba search will answer your questions though.
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Brad K

#8 Post by Brad K »

thanks rusty - i found two sellers on the samba, and i asked them for specs - only one replied and he will get back to me - please post the specs when you get back - much appreciated - thanks, brad

David Baugh
356 Fan

#9 Post by David Baugh »

I've been running a set on my car for 30+ yrs. They were, indeed, made by American Eagle, and the rims are 5.5" wide. I'll have to pull one off to measure the offset. I'll get back to you later on that.

If you use them, you'll have to modify (grind) the rear bump stops, and space the wheels 1/8" to keep them from rubbing on your lower rear shock eyes. Even with that, 185/65 Goodyears will clear the rear 1/4 panels.

Dave
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe

Brad K

#10 Post by Brad K »

thanks for the help david - i could do an entire thread about trying to get these measurements from folks on the samba who actually have these wheels in their hands, i.e., "how do you weigh a wheel?"

while searching through the samba, i found a photo of this karmann ghia with late 356B drums, with the owner's list of modifications to fit:

"Here is a close-up and specifics.

American Eagle wide five Fuchs replicas:

Machined + .2 inches off the back of the wheel mount pads.

Machined out the lug holes to accept the 14 x 1.5 Range Rover lug nuts and washers.

Machined out the center hub ID of the wheel hub to clear the 356B brake drum hub OD.

Machined out the ID of the ISP tall 2 liter Porsche wheel caps to clear the front bearing caps.

Machined the length of the Range Rover lug nuts down by .3 inches.

Mounted and balanced 18570HR15 Vredestein Sprint Classic tires."

i have a '62 T-6 - do you have an earlier 356? i was surprised to see some machining needed to clear the T-6 drums

thanks again
Attachments
366390.jpg

David Baugh
356 Fan

#11 Post by David Baugh »

I can never remember how "offset" is measured. But here're my measurements:

Inside of rim to mounting flange 3.8" (96.5 mm)
Outside of rim to mounting flange (inside) 2.8" (71 mm)
Stud holes .69" (17.5 mm)

Good luck finding lug nuts. The 14 mm ones that I'm using came with the wheels. Chrome is peeling, so I tried to replace. Talked to everyone I could find. CIP1 item #ACC-C10-6694 are 14mm studs that screw into the VW bus drum, but the wheel mounting thread and nuts are 1/2". JBugs #9510 are 12mm nuts. Both nuts do fit the holes in the wheels, though. I dunno .... drill & tap?

The wheels came with Wolfsburg caps like the one in your photo. My records indicate that 914 caps fit the wheels.

Hot out there .... you owe me a beer!

Dave
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe