Florida Outlaw - Sebring mid 1970's - where is it now?

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Jim Phillips
356 Fan

Florida Outlaw - Sebring mid 1970's - where is it now?

#1 Post by Jim Phillips »

We ran Sebring in the mid 70's as part of a PCA event and there was a radical (read outlaw) 356 that was not very well recieved by the PCA regulars. I recall that the owner of the car was a really nice guy, but was treated rathered rudely, in my opinion. I always wondered if the car ever showed its face again at a PCA or Registry event. Has anyone ever seen this car or it remains? I just came across this picture and am curious about its demise. Here's a picture of the car.

Regards,
Jim Phillips
Greenville, SC
Attachments
356Sebring1973 - small.jpg

Mot Megan
356 Fan
Tag: Reuter Coupe #131754 since March '75

Re: Florida Outlaw - Sebring mid 1970's - where is it now?

#2 Post by Mot Megan »

Jim,

I don't know that car, but I'll second your opinion on the Sebring PCA of that era. A buddy of mine and I drove down from Northern NY in my SC in the late seventies. My car was a bit of a beater at the time, and being pushed by a 1300cc bus engine.

We drove up to the gate at the PCA corral and were stopped by a very snotty guy who demanded to see our invitation. Oh course we had no such thing, we would have thought that driving that sketchy car all the way from NY would have been invitation enough, but NO!

So we drove a little further until we found a place to park. While we were getting our stuff together, a nice guy came along and asked why we were not in the Porsche corral? We told him what happened, and he just smiled, and said 'No invitation? Here, take mine!"

So we did -- and drove back to the gate and handed it to the same little DICK-tater -- he grumbled and made a sour face, but waved us in. As there was not another 356 there, they made a point to park us way in the back with the 914's, but that was OK, we had fun with those guys in our own little PCA leper colony.

And -- we still had access to the hospitality tent with it's ice filled trough of Budweiser -- happy times!

Tom
By the work, one knows the workman -- La Fontaine

Jim Phillips
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Phillips »

Tom: The event was an all PCA event called Sonnefest ( if I remember correctly) and we ran timed full laps on Sebring and there was a concours. The people were all very nice but.... something went on with the 356 guy and he left the event. There were plenty of nice 356's there. I was into 911's at the time... and owned a 356... but remember the rumblings about the "butchered" 356.

I always wondered afterwards what happened to the car. I imagined that maybe it was put away to never be seen again... or parted out... or buried..... who knows what could have happened. Anyway, anyone know for sure????

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#4 Post by Tom Tate »

Somehow it reminds me of a Henry J that my mother drove. I'd drop the nose and drive it to every PCA event I could find. Great car. KTF

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ashley Page »

The first thing that came to mind when I saw that picture was Henry J, which the rear quarter looks like to me. :D

edit - I posted before reading the thread and see at least someone else had the same thought!