Need muffler opinions

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

Re: Need muffler opinions

#31 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Hi Edwin,

What you see is what I've got. Those are mufflers from the Honda 900cc twin engines. Figured that since two of our cylinders rate at about 800cc each (read I'm staying with the original cylinder filling Porsche used back in the day), a slightly larger muffler volume would be better than less. Weight wise these SS mufflers from Honda are about the same as the larger original steel muffler Porsche supplied when our tubs were new. I'll always agree that Porsche knows what they are doing, but, I'm looking to up the anti by inserting later exhaust technology to the mix of my projects solution.

I've followed that principle with all the modifications to my project. The twin plugs in the heads, the dry sump upgrades from the 911 approach to oil flow and cooling, even the direct oil pressure and flow to the rocker spindles that are hollow and a perfect place to introduce better oiling and cooling to the engines top end. Better cooling to the heads has been one of my project goals. And yes, the fan shroud is a 911 style with a modified 12V Bosch 911 alternator producing more amps at 6V than the original generator ever considered possible. If Porsche were developing this engine today, what would they do differently to improve on their earlier technology. Nothing stands still, and I like all that has come forth since the time our tubs were state of the art.
Attachments
IMGP8990.JPG

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#32 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Glen:
Your exhaust tubing and muffler solution is an elegant solution if it all fits, as I hope it will for you. Please share your exhaust tip when you get it mounted.

No doubt the folks on the 912 Registry would be interested in this thread, as some enthusiasts there are experimenting as well and showing their results. What length of tubing have you employed? I was wondering what part of the power band you were focused on (extraction from resonant exhaust pulses, etc.).

Best,
=rdsieber

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#33 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Hi Ron,

There are several tubing lengths involved that appear critical for proper extraction resonance and what advantages can be gained from what is called the reflected wave resulting from the initial reflection of a given pulse from the first instant an exhaust pulse engages a muffler's baffle. I do not pretend to have a handle on the engineering dynamics as each system seems to present its own complexities, thus, the trial and error approach, with some attention to the details of tubing diameter sizing's and lengths between connections with other resonance sources. I was initially surprised by the recommended diameter of the primary tubing leaving the engines exhaust port. Matching this port with a smooth transition envelope was given considerable attention to detail.

The 4 into 2 into 1 tubing assembly approach was chosen as it seemed to be most advantageous for accommodating good torque readings from the lowest through the mid ranges of the engine's RPM surge. In order to not take the tubing beneath the engine (reducing under body road clearance) to obtain the optimum primary lengths, I chose to maintain the original alignments used by Porsche whereas they gave benefit to the overall collection of the two primary lengths (as well as retention of the original heater ducting system) that would be joined to improve primary wave extraction from the natural sequencing of the firing order. This decision led to the tubing's crossing behind the engine, and far enough back to allow the auxiliary pump that's piggy backed onto the original pressure pump's drive gear. I incorporated a modified Ford Cleveland (a design developed by Leo Droughton) oil pump as the sump'a extraction pump. This required that the primary tubing lengths become a bit longer than what Burns Stainless recommended in their analysis of our engines cylinder volume and timing order. Just the same, the lengths of combined primaries have been kept equal length to their collectors.

The next objective was to insure that there is a crossover assembly that allows the pulses to naturally boost scavenging when beneficial to either secondary tubing's exhaust flow. That is, if a pulse is on its way out and it senses a vacuum ahead of its wave, an opportunity is provided for the pulse to take the direction of least resistance. This was accommodated by a series of gill slits in the tubing's curvature where the flow of the exhaust gases are not inhibited by the formation of the gill effect. I tested this feature by passing compressed air down the tubing with the gills to determine if the flow of air continued as anticipated in the preferred direction of flow, or was disturbed by the gill slits in the tubing's curvature. My casual observation was that the air passed through the gilled curvature zone of the tubing unrestricted.

That patch where the two secondaries meet is where the gills lie, beneath the patch. All that was left to accomplish was the passing of the secondaries through the mufflers with equal tubing lengths that remained within the rear body skirt sheet metal. I am told these secondary lengths are also critical, and I have kept them as short as was possible using the bend sizes available to create what we have as a first trial solution.

The Honda 900 cc mufflers are unique in that their design allowed easy attachment with a normal triangular flange at their inlets, and direct welding or clamping to their outlet port.

If there is any magic in what has been fabricated, only the dyno will provide some interesting insights. I do anticipate a quiet exhaust note and excellent muffler volume. The optimization of torque, well that's yet to be determined.

Pushing on the technology is part of the challenge. If the assembly is even close to what I am hoping to gain, there are still modifications that can be incorporated to make further adjustments. There is seldom progress without the risk of failure. However, based on my investigation into this theory and the said to be improvements, the proof will be in the testing.

I'm still years out from having an operational project. Its the continuous adventure to bring about such improvements by establishing goals that are self generated to give the designer some level of satisfaction when all is said and done.

Bob Kelly
356 Fan

#34 Post by Bob Kelly »

Here are some pictures.
Attachments
DSC02905.JPG
DSC02904.JPG
Bob Kelly
62 Hardtop
66 912

Michael Moss
356 Fan

#35 Post by Michael Moss »

Bob after seeing yours I built one similar using two mufflers with 2 1/2" id. I turned mine up before teeing so the pipes would exit the existing cutouts. It was a little loud so I added baffles to quiet it down at cruising speeds. Mike
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg