Outlaw Seats

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
James Astrausky
356 Fan

Outlaw Seats

#1 Post by James Astrausky »

I'm looking to fit high-back seats to my 61 Outlaw. Any suggestions?
also, any suggestions on installing a racing harness without a roll bar installed?
Attachments
porsche_1600_117323_001sm.jpg
porsche_1600_117323_001sm.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 3038 times

Mot Megan
356 Fan
Tag: Reuter Coupe #131754 since March '75

Re: Outlaw Seats

#2 Post by Mot Megan »

James,

I have fitted high-back, two piece "race" seats from Summit Racing in my coupe. They are firm, but pretty comfortable, and have pass through holes for 3" harnesses.

They're made in China (what isn't?) and are available for the very reasonable price of $150 ea. They come with their own sliders, so I made simple welded flat steel mounts to attach them to the 356 brackets.

You can see I have cam-lock 3" RJS 4 point belts in the car now, with no roll bar. For safety, the important thing to keep in mind is to mount the anchors for the shoulder straps as high as possible. What you want to avoid is having a low mount point that will vector out in a compressive force on the shoulders (and hence -- spine) in the event of an impact. I don't have a picture handy right now, but the four forged 7/16" eye bolt shoulder strap mounts are mounted high on my rear engine bulkhead, just above the bend in the panel. The bolts are backed up inside the engine compartment by a 2" x 1/8" steel strap that runs the full width of the bulkhead. That's necessary to keep the bolts from pulling through the panel under shock load.

The lap belts mount to 7/16" forged eye bolts threaded through the OEM lap belt mounts in my T6 car. I also have 2" anti-submarine belts in the car for use with my "serious" race seats. Those are one piece Konig steel frame seats with the cut-outs for five point belts. Those are great seats, but the high side bolsters make it too hard to get in and out of the car for everyday use, so they are kept for "rally only" use in my car. :wink:
Last edited by Mot Megan on Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By the work, one knows the workman -- La Fontaine

James Astrausky
356 Fan

#3 Post by James Astrausky »

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the seats.

Chuck Wilson
356 Fan
Tag: 119094

#4 Post by Chuck Wilson »

Got a part number on those seats. Summit Racing is down the road from me.

Mot Megan
356 Fan
Tag: Reuter Coupe #131754 since March '75

#5 Post by Mot Megan »

Chuck Wilson wrote:Got a part number on those seats. Summit Racing is down the road from me.
Sure, here's a link to those seats in Summit's online catalog:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1159-2/
By the work, one knows the workman -- La Fontaine