windshield rubber w/out locking insert

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Mike Klapac
356 Fan

Re: windshield rubber w/out locking insert

#16 Post by Mike Klapac »

I don't think that the seals with molded corners will work unless the corners are spaced the same as Beetle. You're probably going to need the cheaper seal without the molded corners.

I just sent an email to WCM asking if there is a crossover piece to do what you want to do. When they reply, I'll post.

#17 Post by Guest »

Got it, Thanks Dirk and Mike for the help!

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mike Klapac »

No love from West Coast Metric on the seal. They said they didn't make 356 seals, which we all knew anyhow.

I couldn't find my seamstress tape at the garage to measure the windshield. I'll poke around a little more and try to dig it up or come up with a different solution.

I'm still 99% sure a Cal-Look rubber will fit once we find the right size.

Armand Botha
356 Fan

#19 Post by Armand Botha »

I Have had the opportunity to look at various rubber extrusions in order to find a match for 356 rubber
Beetle rubber stayed essentially the same througout production and will not fit the 356
Karman Ghia rubber had two different types of beading but the profile stayed the same also will not work
Late model bay window side window rubber although I am still looking this profile is the closest to the 356 rubber I could find.
As for the moulded corners: The 356 has generous curves and simple cut to fit rubber will work perfectly. Be sure to make the rubber longer than the window aperture by about 6mm as this will force the ends together and when the sun gets to it eventually you will not have a gap. O ring glue is also helpfull in glueing the ends together. cutting the rubber is a pain and I have found that pruning shears are the best to cut the rubbers
Armand
Armand Botha

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Thx Armand. Just confirms what I found out: I picked up a bunch of Beetle, Type III and Ghia rubber (luckily I am friends with shop owner here who just lends them to me) - none of those fit.

Here is a pic of the bay-window (side-window) seal on a 356 A window frame. The profile (as you can see I cut a piece) fits perfectly. So it is just a matter of getting it to right length and gluing.
BayRubber.JPG
BayRubber.JPG (65.65 KiB) Viewed 3137 times

David Baugh
356 Fan

#21 Post by David Baugh »

OK .... I'll bite.

What's a "Bay Window"? And where do I get one of those seals?

I don't think my 58 coupe has a bay window. Or does it?

Dave
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#22 Post by Greg Scallon »

David,
A "Bay Window" is a post-1967 VW bus. These busses have the large "bay" front window vs the earlier pre-'68 split front window. Also known as a "Fat Chick". :-)

-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

David Baugh
356 Fan

#23 Post by David Baugh »

Thanx, Greg. I mis-read Dirk's last post. Thought it must be some kinda 356A side-window.

I had a 69 bus back in the day. Didn't know that was called a bay window, though. I guess yer never too old to learn. I musta been spending too much time in the back of the bus.

Dave
'58 356A Coupe

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#24 Post by Greg Scallon »

Dave,
I think what Dirk's saying is that it's the seals for the side windows of a Bay Window bus that work. That's my guess anyway.

Best regards,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#25 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

The bay window rubber is NOT working !
I just tried on the front - it is not thick enough and won't fill out the frame between glass and steel. It is also not a matter of wiggling around - I tried to push and pull and manipulate with no luck. The gap is simply too big.

Alfred Higdon
356 Fan

#26 Post by Alfred Higdon »

Hallo Outlaws,
Have You Guys thought about using Pre A Window Seals?
Forgive Me for the horrible Picture quality.
These Window Seals were used up to about Spring 1952...no "Decorative Insert". Someone "Chime" in to correct Me about the change Date.
Thomas Birch is reproducing these "Seals". E mail: birchwerks@aol.com
Hope this helps Everyone out.
Best Regards,
Al

Armand Botha
356 Fan

#27 Post by Armand Botha »

Hi Bummer about the bus side window rubber. I had the opportunity to speak to our south african manufacturer of window rubbers and he could not supply me with a generic type of rubber so we got talking. He told me that it would cost around ZAR1000 to make a die in order to manufacture the rubber extrusions this probably equates to about $100 and then the rubber extrusions cost around $10 a meter. Even over here that is fairly inexpensive and I have used this guys rubber for about 15 years with extremely good results.
I would like to know if the front and rear rubber for a 356 uses the same section
He also suggested some slight changes to the 356 profile in order to make it grip the glass better if the trim is removed
Armand
Armand Botha

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#28 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

That's a good project Armand (I think front and rear have the same profile).
I don't feel I lost anything on trying the bus rubber - cause when I tried it, I saw how'd look and didn't like (too much black, 'cause I have a black visor as well). I am going for a vintage look.
However, I have seen a rally car a couple days ago (Robert Curry's 356 that just finished first in his class at the 2010 Carrera Panamericana). It had the regular rubber with the inserts just left out - maybe that isn't all that bad of a solution.
WindowSeal.JPG

David Baugh
356 Fan

#29 Post by David Baugh »

I think I've found the combination that I'm going to use. I ran across an old double-ribbed rubber that goes either around the rear lid grille or under the garnish molding below the door window on my 58 coupe. One round rib is larger than the other. I stuffed the larger rib into the locking part of the groove, and the smaller rib fills the visible portion of the groove. I took great digital photos, but can't figure out how to attach them.

Now, I have to find a source for these strips that are long enough to fit around the front and back glass.

Dave
'58 356A Coupe