idea for sealing hood with external/exposed gas filler

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Wray Brady
356 Fan

idea for sealing hood with external/exposed gas filler

#1 Post by Wray Brady »

Dirk, your kind suggestions on solving this problem are excellent thanks. Wanted to run another idea by the new Outlaw Board. Why not size a doughnut shaped piece of wood or other material that would be tall enough to maintain a flat rubber seal between the underside of the hood and said doughnut. The doughnut could slip over the tank filler neck. The trick here would be to shape the support so that it maintained a good seal without fouling up the hood fit.

Any thougths are apprecaited.
Wray Brady

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

Re: idea for sealing hood with external/exposed gas filler

#2 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Hey Wray,

Not sure if I understand your idea correct. So far the concept is to catch the water/rain in a tray and lead it back outside through a funnel and attached hose. I think you are suggesting to seal the hood around the neck, so water would stay outside. I'd like this idea if you could avoid stress on the hood.

Wray Brady
356 Fan

Re: idea for sealing hood with external/exposed gas filler

#3 Post by Wray Brady »

Dirk, sorry if my expanation is a bit muddled.

Form a block of wood roughly doughnut shaped. The inner diameter(hole of the doughnut) would be just able to slip over the extended tank filler neck. The bottom of the doughnut would rest on the top of the gas tank. The top would be shaped such that it matches the contour of the closed hood, leaving just enough room for a circular rubber gasket. Obviously the worry is distorting the hood fit in any manner. Further a seal between the tank filler neck and the doughnut would be necessary.

I don't like the idea of drilling a hole in some part of the trunk to drain the water collected in the funnel.
Wray Brady