Filler through the hood - not so big of a deal

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
mikeschramm
356 Fan

Re: Filler through the hood - not so big of a deal

#16 Post by mikeschramm »

Dirk Heinrich wrote:So, I got the tray from Marek's kit (thx for the trade Marek). It's a nice piece, but unfortunately doesn't fit. The little funnel for the water drain makes it sit way to high up on the tank. The only solution is to either bent the funnel or to cut it - neither is a good solution: risk of braking, bending and/or kinking the hose, 'cause it'll still be very close to the tank. I asked Marek about it, but have never received an answer. Too bad - could have been a real nice product.
Tray_No_Fit.JPG
re pic: keep in mind, when it is lifted in the back, the funnel gets closer to the neck and pushes up even higher. Also, attaching the hose, there will be way more clearance needed.

Dirk, dont you know your supposed to take a hammer and beat the tank in a little in that area???? hahahaha just joking.
Maybe your filler neck is too short. ?????? strange

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

mikeschramm wrote: Dirk, dont you know your supposed to take a hammer and beat the tank in a little in that area???? hahahaha just joking.
Maybe your filler neck is too short. ?????? strange
Mike, I sent Marek Lappok 3 emails about his tray not fitting - no answer at all. So I took the initiative to cut the drain pipe and bent it forward. Still, no way it'd fit. I guess he knows and that's why I don't hear from him.
I will follow your suggestion and take the hammer now to make it take as little room as possible in my scrap metal pile ... man, I feel a little hate, but hey, I should have known better.

... for now, I am doing the black-sock-with-rubber-band-tray 8)

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan
Tag: Project Meister

#18 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

Dirk, how about an update?
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#19 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Mark Erbesfield wrote:Dirk, how about an update?
Mark it appears Dirk has not been on the Registry for a couple months. However, he was on the samba earlier today. You can message him under the screen name ATLANTIC. Looks like he has been focusing his time on a 1959 Bus.

Here is the most recent pic I could find in his samba gallery circa November 2010

Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan
Tag: Project Meister

#20 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I wil have to check out his bus. I am a sucker for busses, esp. The double cabs.
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#21 Post by Craig Richter »

I hate to bring this up, BUT...You know the racing organizations outlawed these thru the hood fillers over 50 years ago because in a flip the caps came loose and burnt the drivers up! Just sayin'...