Pre A restoration-KCW style

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Rusty Willey
356 Fan

Pre A restoration-KCW style

#1 Post by Rusty Willey »

Hey guys, Rusty here. I wanted to move the topic of my buddies build over here. I had posted a few pics up of his rig in my thread buy wanted to make a new one for the 356 that John Jones of KCW is building for himself. A while back John traded his Barndoor Single Cab to Mark in Colorado Springs for his Pre A # 51826. The car was REALLY rough when John got it and in a very short amount of time he got this rig back to a nice straight rust free shell to start his build. For sure this rig is going to be VERY custom and lots of fun to drive. There is a thread on the KCW website if anybody wants to follow from the start but for now I will post pics of how the car looks today and I will post up on progress until this is a driver!!!! John has put me in charge of tracking down misc. parts and getting some technical info to smooth this build along. Uh Oh, my first mission is to get his door handles complete with keys and cylinders, all he has now is the outer castings- HELP!!!!!! Also need advice on the best way to get a bent windshield to Grand Junction Colorado!!!

Last edited by Rusty Willey on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#2 Post by Trevor Gates »

Hi Rusty,

You forgot to put the link to John's thread on KCW, here it is:

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/ ... php?t=4676

Love the car!

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rusty Willey »

Thanks Trevor, I don't know how to attach a link. That will really help people catch up on the build thus far. Where do I get cylinders and keys??

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#4 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Glad to finally see this Pre A get its own thread here.

Looking forward to seeing him knock this 356 out in no time.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#5 Post by mikeschramm »

I got cylinders and keys right here from the classifieds. Just gotta watch um. Of course, mine is not a pre A.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#6 Post by Rusty Willey »

Is there a difference in the cylinders?? We just want what will work, of course if the correct stuff is available we want it. What is the deal with the 1954 production date and 1953 model??

Looks like a 53 from the front??

Jack Stenner
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jack Stenner »

Rusty Willey wrote:What is the deal with the 1954 production date and 1953 model?? Looks like a 53 from the front??
The '53 model year extended well into 1954. Since the serial number is 51826, it's a '53 model built in 1954, and the '53 model features are correct. The last '53 model year coupe was 52029.

Can't wait to see how this car turns out!!!

HTH,
Jack
53 Coupe #51576

Door Handles

#8 Post by Guest »

Rusty, I have these spare door handles and I do not think the cylinders will work on my "C" door handles, so maybe they will work for you and your partner.

Does anyone know what year or model these door handles are from?

Frank

Martin Minnich
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Minnich »

Took some time to look over his build thread. Interesting work, but don't let you kids lean over your shoulders reading the profanity laced posts. :(
Marty Minnich
356C
E-Type Jag (for those who care!)
Arlington, Texas

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#10 Post by Rusty Willey »

Frank, don't know for sure but those look like the ones on my A. PM me and let me know what you would like for them, I think they might work. Martin, I think I had better check that thread, don't remember a ton of vulgarity but sometimes we get a little "unfiltered" on the Forums. It is easy to forget that hundreds of people read our stupid banter.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#11 Post by Rusty Willey »

Awwwwww Damn, you are spot on Martin. I didn't get through the first page without cringing. Yup, laced with profanity. Gotta remember that these are PUBLIC FORUMS!! :shock: :D :P

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rusty Willey »

I have seen it before but can't find it now. Could somebody post up that picture showing all of the dimensions for drilling holes for the beehives and other rear accessories?

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#13 Post by Trevor Gates »

Hey Rusty,

I think you might be thinking of the picture Mark posted in John's Pre A thread on KCW. Page 23.

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/ ... ght=#95041

Trevor

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#14 Post by Rusty Willey »

Thanks!! John had asked me about it and we couldn't find the pic. Mark is really helpful with all of our tech advice. He is working on a really bad ass Lotus eleven ( I think that is what he called it) Looks like something Speed Racer rolls around in!!!!

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#15 Post by Rusty Willey »

What are my options on getting a bent windshield for this rig?? I feel like I saw some on Ebay or something and they were around $600 bucks plus shipping. Is this right?