Pre A restoration-KCW style

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#31 Post by Mike Klapac »

I went to the one two years back in Aspen. We just parked on the side. I was thinking of driving the Panel or the motorcycle out for this years event. My Porsche is still a mess. Were you guys going to stay the night or just out and back?

WCH08:

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#32 Post by mikeschramm »

As a vintage VW fan I love the dove blue and I also like the wheel selection. I think John Jones does some really outstanding work. To me it looks a little strange narrowed in the front but I respect his originality.

Matt Wilson
356 Fan

#33 Post by Matt Wilson »

simple dash does it for me, love that center speedo
www.oldtimeroldspeedclub.blogspot.com

Jing Pong
356 Fan

#34 Post by Jing Pong »

What a coupe! Dove Blue! I love Johns twisted sense of colour selection.

A VW Colour on a Porsche. Gaff gaff! :)
1965 356

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#35 Post by Rusty Willey »

I can't wait to see this rig in person again, it has been almost 6 weeks since I have been to the shop. We really need some help on this door handle thing. We have the repop square handles but they don't have cylinders!!!! How on earth do you get them? I bought some A handles hoping I could swap out the cylinders but they are smaller than the older style. Advice please!!!!!
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#36 Post by Rusty Willey »

Johns car is unbelievable!!!!! So simple, so cool, everything looks great together, cant wait for the big ol two liter engine to show up!!!!! I took some time away from him today but he still got hood mechs installed, steering wheel painted as well as some tunnell covers painted.

Check out that rear "body bumper" John put on :D :D :D :D a front piece and hood handle should get mounted tomorrow if the parts show up :D :D :D

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#37 Post by Trevor Gates »

Simple AND cool! You're definitely right Rusty, those two don't always go together, but the car sure does look right. Awesome!

Trevor

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#38 Post by Rusty Willey »

Thanks Trevor, I totally agree. A few more bits of jewelery for the car, hood handle, shine down and beehives. John put em on and wired em up!!!

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#39 Post by Rusty Willey »

John got in the front piece to finish his bodybumper idea. Looks like the finish line is is sight :D :D :D A few more days (or late nights) of work, a few more parts orders, and this rig will be ready to drive!!! Just need to finish the carpet, install glass, finish door glass door handles a few other bits then when the engine shows we can plug it in and this will be a driver!!!! :D :D John is driving to Park City in this rig come October!!!!!

Terry Nuckels
356 Fan

#40 Post by Terry Nuckels »

Absolutely stunning!
Love the color, the wheels, the stance.
My favorite mod? The "bumpers". 8)
Rusty, I'd love to see a pic of your car next to John's.
Terry Nuckels
Yeah, I drive a fake Porsche, but my wife is real.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#41 Post by Rusty Willey »

We might be able to get you that pic this weekend, I am going down to get my Daughters Beetle in paint. John put in some time to get the side plex kit installed in his rig. A missing popout latch and rear window came in today so I bet he will have all the glass in in the next few days!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Hmmmm, I can't seem to rotate the last two images but you guys get the idea. :D :D :D

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#42 Post by Rusty Willey »

Just got a text from John, he is installing the rest of the glass right now!!! Only has the passenger door left to go :D :D Picks in the AM.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

Hey Rusty!

#43 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey Rusty,

Your buddies car is just absolutey one of the tighest looking 356's I've seen! I love the unique color, wheel and tire combo and especially that raked stance! This car sits right! It gives the illusion that its longer and even more graceful then it already is. These cars are so front end dominate anyway (because they teardrop away) that if the front sits too high it just really kills the look for me.

I sent you this picture a while back but I'll post here too. This is a 58 sunroof (which had alot of rust I remember) that a guy had back in '88. Its about one or two inches too low to be practical but I loved the way the stance made it look longer & highlighted the gracefulness of the body. It was cool then and still looks cool now! The red 356C behind it really gives scale on how much he had dropped it. It took me all day to get these clear shots of it. I remember it had at least 10-15 people around it the whole time. The guy with the stock C was very annoyed by the way because he had just finished the car (stock) and this rusty driver 58 A was getting all the attention at the show. His car didn't have the "look". Anyway Great job on it! I love it!! Are you tempted to paint your car now??

Justin

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#44 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Warning!
I've been racing these cars for a few years, so of course have tried a few things when lowering the front end. When you get too low, the sway bar link rotates up until it hits the shock absorber. The shock can also bottom out. The tie-rods can hit the top of the chassis hole they pass through. Any one of these circumstances can lead to some strange/dangerous handling.
So whatever you do, check the suspension when its fully loaded, and see if there is still some movement available.
Fair warning.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#45 Post by Rusty Willey »

I remember those pics Justin :D !! I for sure have gone over to the dark side, I love the look of lowered cars, 356's included. Not the biggest fan of huge rake on my cars though, around an inch looks best to me. I actually raised my front end quite a bit when I put on the low profile tires and still have some room for a larger pair to match the rear if I want. Extreme lowering of a car of course will eventually also lower the performance level until you are dragging pan and cant drive! :wink: :wink: :wink: In our experience, the lowering of a car didn't so drastically affect performance that we would keep it stock height. We all drive our lowered cars all over the western US with of course the obvious ride height challenges but no enormous performance differences. And yes come to think of it, when my car was adjusted really low, you could jack up the front end and those tie rods would drag on the body!!! :shock: :shock: