Pre A restoration-KCW style

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#16 Post by Rusty Willey »

Uh yeah, just checked Ebay, no windshields :(
Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

buying a bent windshield...

#17 Post by Eric Meyer »

I bought my bent windshield from our local Porsche Dealer...

I also see that Stoddard has them listed for $795.00

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdispla ... briolet%29

cool looking car so far!

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#18 Post by Rusty Willey »

Thanks Eric, sounds like It will be about 1G to get a bent windshield, seal and trim to the shop :shock: :shock: :shock: Jeepers this Porsche stuff is expensive!!!! Now I am looking for round jack receivers for this rig. Stoddard has the square ones, is there any source for the round ones or are we going to have to buy the square ones and modify them a bit?? John started to work on this rig again this last weekend, dusted off the body and started block sanding and massaging the body a bit. I had better get on ordering some parts or I will start to hold back progress instead of helping along!! :D :D

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#19 Post by Rusty Willey »

Wow, I had no idea John was going to dedicate his entire weekend to this rig. It was already rust repaired and skim coated before he stopped working on it a few months back but the hammer was put down in this HUGE work session for sure!!!! Well over thirty hours put in, mostly pushing a sanding block, I can't imagine how sore he is!!! But check this out!!!! The whole rig was block sanded and is now in primer :D :D :D :D :D Over at the KCW forums there is three pages of input on what color to paint it. Dove Blue (a VW color) or a few of the early green and gray's used on 356's seem to be in the lead right now.

Omar Almada
356 Fan

#20 Post by Omar Almada »

looking Good! 8)
53cabrio+56speedster

michael rogers
356 Fan

#21 Post by michael rogers »

Hey Rusty, nice to see some primer on that baby, now for some color? What color is the big ? Tell John that maybe some day I will post some pics on his site.
Michael Rogers
55' 356 Pre-A

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#22 Post by Rusty Willey »

Pretty sure the color has already been decided even though we all keep throwing our two cents. Dove Blue was the obvious choice, it is Johns favorite color and many of his personal projects and toys are painted in that color. Not for this rig though, I think he wants something you don't see on an early 356 and D.B. could blend in with the many shades of original 356 blues, might even look like a poor attempt at a match. I am presently sworn to secrecy, likely because things could change up until the moment paint hits the car :D :D :D

Matt Wilson
356 Fan

#23 Post by Matt Wilson »

so its orange then!
www.oldtimeroldspeedclub.blogspot.com

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#24 Post by mikeschramm »

matt wilson wrote:so its orange then!
Johns other favorite color

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#25 Post by Rusty Willey »

Funny!! surprised you didn't mention Vanilla Shake, Johns earliest favorite color!! Nope he will go for something new this time!! I think they are in Denver for the show and drags at the Speedway in Morrison this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if he started giving this rig the final sanding and started with paint when he got back. Hope so, I won't be around for a few weeks to side track him on my projects :D :D

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#26 Post by Rusty Willey »

John is almost finished with final blocking. He decided to shave his entire dash with the exception of the pod, boy does that clean dash look Art Deco!! Paint soon!!! I can't post pics, I am on vacation with only my phone bit his website has lots if you wanna check it out.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#27 Post by Rusty Willey »

Can somebody post up a link to Johns thread? I am still on vacation with limited computer access and there is HUGE progress going on with this rig. Maybe a photo?

Kevin Wiggins
356 Fan
Tag: Fight the Power!

#28 Post by Kevin Wiggins »

Fight the Power!

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#29 Post by Rusty Willey »

This rig is on the ground!!! Looks soooo low and unlike the usual non stock builds, TUCKED in the front! Finally coming home from a huge vacation so I will get back to the computer and post pics!!! Really trying to get John to roll his rig with me to the West Coast gathering, not sure if we would stay all weekend but it would be nice to roll em to the show and shine. I think it is on Sunday right?? Can we show our rigs if we don't register for the whole weekend??

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#30 Post by Rusty Willey »

I can't even begin to tell you how much progress I missed posting on this Forum while I was away. I just grabbed these off of the KCW website.

There are tons of daily updates and photos of this rig if you follow the link on to Johns website, it is gonna take me a bit of time to catch up on the read myself. Pretty sure headliner and carpet are installed, I will find and post photos of that as well :D :D