Pre A restoration-KCW style

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#46 Post by Rusty Willey »

John is done with the interior and all the glass is installed, I really like the "finished" look of his rig :D :D He is using a donor VW motor so he can drive it around while he builds the real motor for the car. I think he has decided to give it more of a period correct look and pass on the two liter engine he usually runs in his rigs. Some sort of 36 horse with a dual carb Okrasa kit they are selling right now is going to power this rig if I remember correctly. I am going down to the shop this weekend to see this car in person again, pictures never do a car justice!!!! I have a busy weekend ahead of me, John and I are going to try to knock out the paint on my Daughters 60 Sunroof Beetle :D :D :D :D :D

Don't hate me for driving Volkswagens.

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#47 Post by Rusty Willey »

Two happy 356 owners with their ressurected rigs!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

#48 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Awesome rides, awesome pictures! Great ideas and excellent execution of them, keep up the good work!

Aki
Rusty Willey wrote:Two happy 356 owners with their ressurected rigs!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#49 Post by Rusty Willey »

Thanks for the reply!!!!!!! I always wonder what people are thinking after I post up a new picture or a progress update and lots of people look at the thread and nobody says a word. I know there has been a lot of tension on this Forum regarding staying on topic, being polite, and not offending any other Registry members, I respect this. Regarding our cars and our build threads in this Forum, I never want anybody to be afraid to goof around, speak their mind, ask questions and most importantly throw out their OPINIONS!! Soooooooo What do you guys think??????

Last edited by Rusty Willey on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#50 Post by Sterling Vaden »

John is a genius! How long have I been looking at 356s and have never seen this "bumper" deco treatment. It looks so right and natural, and yet no one has thought of it before? Inspired work!
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#51 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Rusty,
In California talk, it's "bitchin"; do they still say that?
In the words of an old friend, "tits".

Trevor Gates
356 Fan

#52 Post by Trevor Gates »

Hey Rusty,

It's bitchin (yes we still say that) but more often say it's tits and BADASS! Bumper strips are amazing, what a GREAT idea! They really enhance the curves/lines. I think John really hit it out of the park with this car. The speedmasters also give it that I'm only about business, no bullshtt appearance. And they come in 17's, wonder if someone will try that next? Any chance John brings it out to So Cal? I'd love to see it in person at a show or cruise.

Trevor

Jack Stenner
356 Fan

#53 Post by Jack Stenner »

I'd say it's "rad".... :-)
53 Coupe #51576

Cory Drake
356 Fan

#54 Post by Cory Drake »

Rusty, that's a beautifully executed take on what an 'Outlaw' should look like. To me, it'd be a dream come true. Excellent vision, flawless follow-through. I especially like the distressed leather and the lack of gauges, combined with the tasteful use of consistent hole patterns and the lack of clutter. What a brilliant car.
It makes me feel like trying something that dramatic might not be such a bad idea after all, especially given what you guys started with.
I saw early on the holes and spacers in the top of the tunnel, and I wondered how much of a pain that was going to be to get right. Are those plates all welded in where they sat, or did you and John jig them up to weld and finish them before installation?
It seems to me they must have been done in place to keep them from flexing like a twisted ladder before the final welds. Was that a weld-hammer-weld-hammer process? However you did it, it really is one of my favorite features.
UFO pilot since May of 2000.

Kevin Wiggins
356 Fan
Tag: Fight the Power!

#55 Post by Kevin Wiggins »

I love it. Well done :!:
Fight the Power!

Terry Nuckels
356 Fan

#56 Post by Terry Nuckels »

I like it all except the shifter.
Truth be told, Rusty, I kinda like yours better. 8)
Terry Nuckels
Yeah, I drive a fake Porsche, but my wife is real.

Mark Hill
356 Fan

#57 Post by Mark Hill »

Rusty,

I love the wheels on John's rig. What are they, I have never seen them before.

regards,

Mark

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#58 Post by Rusty Willey »

Thanks guys :D :D :D :D I really like the way Johns car came together! To answer some questions, I say bitchin and badass, Cory the top of the tunnel is removable, John has it attached with some fancy aircraft screws, the shifter is from a stock VW Bus, mine is stock 356 with an early VW Bug shift rod welded on top (it was cut in half some time in the past) The wheels are Speedmasters, a not so common aftermarket VW rim. I always wonder why more 356 guys don't take advantage of the huge variety of wide 5 rims out there????? You can always keep your stock set in the garage if you want to go back right? :wink: :wink: And I LOVE his bumper trim idea on the front and back, it is a stock 356 part after all :wink: :wink: maybe he messed up and mounted them in the wrong spot :P :P

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#59 Post by Rusty Willey »

Rusty Willey
356 Fan

#60 Post by Rusty Willey »

John cranked on his engine this weekend!!! Vintage Power :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: