356 with Midmounted Audi V8 - Build Thread

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
grant craft
356 Fan

#1 Post by grant craft »

The pre-build banter is here

This thread is going to be the build page. Please post 'related' stuff on the banter page, and keep this page for stuff directly related to the build.

Here's the donor, its from Roy Smalley over at www.eurowerks.com. Thanks to all the other guys that offered me cars, there were some good offerings there. I chose this as the bodywork is all done, so I can jump straight into the fun stuff.

Ive bought the shell only. He's taking all the suspension, steering etc off the car and putting it on a dolly for me. Im going to get all new glass, rubbers etc etc and have them shipped at the same time. One of the big disadvantages of being over here in Hong Kong is that I spent a small fortune on shipping when I built the Ultima as EVERYTHING has to be shipped in. Tools are generally cheap and available here, but parts are not, so I am going to get as much as possible into the container for this build.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Ive got a couple of guys in Europe pricing up the drivetrain. I really need the car here and scanned before I pull the trigger on the engine+trans. From research I have done so far I am 95% sure I can make the V8 fit.

I am also checking on the availability of the new ('09) model S4 engine, which is a supercharged V6. A brand new 340hp V8 crate engine is EUR8500 or thereabouts. If the supercharged V6 is in the same ballpark, I may go that route depending on the size constraints of the V8.

I dont want to move the arches back too far as it might ruin the proportions of the car. I also need to make sure there is enough legroom. From the pic below it looks like there are a few inches in it, and that will certainly help.

Image Image

The other possibility is the twin turbo V6 from the old RS4. Id like to avoid the turbos if possible as heat is going to be an issue anyway.

We'll leave the title as V8 for now as that's the preference.

I need a name for this project, Ive posted a few suggestions on the banter pageplease feel free to post more suggestions.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Good choice, Grant. Roy Smalley is a good man and does good work.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Albert is an insane metal man, his work makes it look easy.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Rainer Cooney
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rainer Cooney »

I've been wanting to do this project for a few years. Used A8 Audis are a dime a dozen around here. They have a problem with the life-time fill on the transmission that prematurely causes their demise. A good flush and oil change is all I did to my wife's A8 five years ago when the transmission locked in two gears at once and would not move. That was at 105k miles. The car now has 207k and still runs and drives like new. I don't think you need a new motor, those V8's are a fantastic engine. Buy a 120k car for a couple of grand and you'll get everything you need, electronics etc.

grant craft
356 Fan

#5 Post by grant craft »

Guys,

I have been given a dimension of 690mm from driveshaft centreline to front of an Audi V8.

The engine in this image is scaled to be 1/3 of the wheelbase..... so that should be correct.

There's looooads of room.... I could fit a V10 in there!

How close to this is the driving position in your 356?

Last edited by grant craft on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant craft
356 Fan

#6 Post by grant craft »

The Audi is a very short V8

Here's 2 Ultimas.

The one on the left is the Audi, there's enough room for a fuel tank in front of the engine.

Mine is on the right, with a magnacharged LS2 Vette engine. The heads are only about 2" from the bulkhead, and I had to cut a hole in the top part of the bulkhead to clear the blower drive.

Image Image

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#7 Post by Barry Brisco »

Please restrict your posts in this topic to "build" issues (mechanical and otherwise) relating to Grant's 356 project. If you have questions about whether or not this topic conforms to 356Talk rules, those questions should be directed to the moderators, and can be submitted by pm or email or by using the "report" button. Public posts in this topic such as "Why is this allowed", etc., will be removed.

Ultimately it is Grant's 356 and he can do whatever he wants to with it. Some may disagree with his decision but that is not what this topic is about: it's about what he is doing to build his version of a 356 outlaw: an extreme outlaw to be sure, but similar 356s have been built before and no doubt they will be built again.

So please keep this topic focused on mechanical and construction issues. If you don't like what Grant is doing, then don't read this topic. Think of it this way: if you're at a 356 event and you see an extreme outlaw that you personally don't care for, do you walk up to the owner and tell him to his face that you don't like his car? Of course you don't: you stay quiet and move on and enjoy the next 356 you see. It's the courteous thing to do.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

grant craft
356 Fan

#8 Post by grant craft »

I must have missed a few posts because of the time difference.

This car is certain to divide opinion, people will love it or hate it, there wont be any middle ground. Its not the first time this has happened, it was taken to by some kids with baseball bats before Roy got to it. ..... perhaps some young visionary hot rodders ??

grant craft
356 Fan

#9 Post by grant craft »

While waiting for the car to ship from the USA, I thought Id do a trial run.

The parts arrived today.

Image Image

grant craft
356 Fan

#10 Post by grant craft »

... and

I found a R8 engine.... waiting for the price.

Greg Caron
356 Fan

#11 Post by Greg Caron »

great R8 engine is on the back... when a car is crashed (more often on front collision) you can get the engine ;)

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jules Dielen »

Grant,

The R8 eingine is the same as the RS4. Just more $$ probably cuz it
sounds better.
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Mon May 10, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

grant craft
356 Fan

#13 Post by grant craft »

we have an engine.... bought from an Audi dealer in Germany... Audi S5 test engine with 124km on it!!

Comes with instrument cluster and ignition switch etc so that the immobilizer works.

The transaxle attached to the engine is the new S5 trans, which has the shafts very close to the front. I also bought an 01X diesel trans, found one new in Germany.

Thinking of using RSR centerlock wheels....

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#14 Post by Erik Thomas »

Grant:

I just got back to Shenzhen the other night, been following your build plans for a month or so. I am here making some parts for my personal race car project this spring.

Drop me a line if you want, I would like to see what you are up to. I get down to HK about once a week.

grant craft
356 Fan

#15 Post by grant craft »

Im currently in Singapore for a couple of weeks. The 356 wont be arriving HK until mid-late April. PM me next time you are in HK and we can hook up.