356 with Midmounted Audi V8 - Build Thread

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#61 Post by Mike Klapac »

Hey Grant,

Maybe you could move this to the project-photo section? It's turning into the builders "stammtisch" so to speak.

K

vic parker
356 Fan

outlaw

#62 Post by vic parker »

way-cool,but i would have used a twin turbo cayanne motor.(just kidding)keep posting and good luck...vic
Last edited by vic parker on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Overington
356 Fan

#63 Post by David Overington »

Hi Grant,

From your photos it looks as thought the top of the engine is below (or almost below) the bottom line of the rear 1/4 windows. This suggests to me that you could have a horizontal engine cover and still retain clear line of sight out the rear window. I guess the alternative is a vertical rear bulkead a la 914-ish. A vertical bulkhead may make it feel a bit cramped inside possibly?

The 1/4 window air scoops look impressive, but I'm not sure of their merits. With the front mounted radiator and the heat venting engine cover do you really need such big air scoops? If you do then won't that severely limit your rear 1/4 vision when driving? I don't know anything about the high and low air pressure points, but if the scoops are in a low pressure point will they still be effective (I'm assuming they are to provide airflow over the engine). Would a nacar vent atop the roof - or air scoop / nacar vents in the panels below the 1/4 windows provide the airflow you want without obscuring the 1/4 windows and still look good?

Didn't Ferdinand change the very early mid engine configuration to rear engine partly because of unexpectedly poor handling with the mid engine set up?

Just some comments from an observer - hope it all goes well.
Regards

David Overington

Max Cooper
356 Fan

sight

#64 Post by Max Cooper »

One of the great attributes of the 356 (in my opinion) is practically 360 degrees of sight. Even with a coupe. Do what you like.
Regards, Max Cooper. 1-404-457-0465

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#65 Post by Vic Skirmants »

David,
The poor handling on 356 #1 was due to the rear torsion bar location which made the"trailing" arms into "leading" arms, which guarantees toe-out with jounce. The mid-engine did not contribute to poor handling.

David Overington
356 Fan

#66 Post by David Overington »

Thanks for that Vic, I'd mistakenly thought the problem had been to do with weight distribution.

Cheers,

Dave
Regards

David Overington

Mike Klapac
356 Fan

#67 Post by Mike Klapac »

Something tells me you wont be looking back much with this rig!

grant craft
356 Fan

#68 Post by grant craft »

I checked the wheels off the S4 under it just for the hell of it.

The front tires wont turn if positioned as they are in these pics. I'd need to either

move them inboard (mmm... maybe)
run the car higher (I dont think so)
flare the guards (I want to avoid this if possible)
radius the guards

... some more mockups and maybe some photoshops required.

Dave Mitchell
356 Fan

I have been lurking.......

#69 Post by Dave Mitchell »

Grant,

What you are doing IMHO is one of the coolest ideas yet. Your idea so far is right on target with one exception in my mind. The side air scoops. Like Erik said you should have plenty of room over the transmission to have a radiator with a cooling fan on it and not have problems. With a 59 GT Carrera engine cover with the louvers and the stock opening removed you should get plenty of air flow.

Regarding the front suspension go here:

http://www.intermeccanica.com/tour.html

Go through the tour and have a look at the frame for the 911 suspension. It might solve a few problems.

Then check out the link in my signature for build photos of my new toy. I used a 15 gal fuel cell and all the 911 suspension is nicely tucked away and I still have a monster trunk. If you mount the radiator in the back you eliminate a plumbing nightmare going up front and gain a bit of needed space.

Just tossing out a thought or two. :wink:

Cheers and keep up the good work! 8)
Dave Mitchell
356 Registry Member #15707
Early 911S Registry Member #1287
Got Scrap? 510-715-7896

Soon to be a IM-6 Owner
http://photobucket.com/IM-6build

grant craft
356 Fan

#70 Post by grant craft »

... agreed re: side scoop.....I'm back to the original plan.
grant craft wrote:......and to modify the side glass so its a pillarless coupe. The door glass will be frameless and rear 1/4 windows operational, with seals on the leading edge and using mechanisms out of a modern coupe (like a BMW 3 series for example)......

Here's a photoshop.... this is with 19" rims.... will be going down to 18"

grant craft
356 Fan

#71 Post by grant craft »

I'm diggin' the hardtop look A LOT!!!

I messed around with a cardboard template of the rear 1/4 glass and it looks like I can "just" get it down inside the rear fender.... an advantage of moving the wheels back.

I dont have any side glass in mine, can one of you guys check the side glass on yours and tell me if its flat.

If it is, its going to make the side glass a load easier in the hardtop conversion.

David Overington
356 Fan

#72 Post by David Overington »

Yes, all side glass is flat.
Regards

David Overington

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#73 Post by Jim Nelson »

How goes the project, Grant?

Sean Davis
356 Fan