Lowering a 356

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Cliff Murray

#46 Post by Cliff Murray »

Perhaps an engineer would make a comment but I would think that the dropped set up (two piece design with modern materials) might be stronger than the Porsche A design. Wouldn't the two piece design reduce stress risers?

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

Lowered Stance

#47 Post by Steve Proctor »

Couple o' thoughts.

1. Someone asked why early cars look lower than later. I think two reasons. First, the pre-A cars have lower rear fender lips and more of the tire is shrouded. This makes it look lower. Second, I think the bumpers being at the bottom of the front and rear in the Pre-A / A cars compared to the raised bumpers of the B/C makes them look more bottom heavy and hunkered down. At least that is the impression that they give me.

2. Not sure of the amount of camber (I need to measure), but on an A, I like the fender lip to ride right at the top of the wheel rim and as some have said, the front to be at least even and perhaps a degree or two lower. My rear is set that way and the nose is a few degrees high. Have taken out all the adjustment at the front without any modifications and looking to do what I need to do to bring the nose down. I like the look.

Curious as to what others have found as successful ride heights.

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757