Original Outlaw - Dean Jeffries Carrera Coupe

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Original Outlaw - Dean Jeffries Carrera Coupe

#61 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Welcome home!

Ernesto Cabrera
356 Fan

#62 Post by Ernesto Cabrera »

Jack Walter wrote:I'm going to try to get the headliner in next week (if it EVER warms up around here) which means the glass can go back in immediately afterward. Suspension is done except for bleeding the brakes and getting the wheels rechromed. All the sound deadening material is in and I need to start work on the dash, interior and engine compartment panels.

I rolled the car outside for some pictures to catch the evening light so here's how its looking...

Pretty nice job if I may say so myself! Hey Jack, you need to sell me back that useless lump of mosquito killer in your garage. I'll give you double your money. :D :D :D

Ernie

Tom McCoy
356 Fan

#63 Post by Tom McCoy »

Jack,
Sorry to hear about the hole in #4. I guess the bore gage saved some troubleshooting when it would have only fired on 3 cyls. Are you still going to target Amelia? or not enough time now?
Good luck with everything. What a great car!

Tom Mccoy
Atlanta
Registry Number: Who cares?

Shane Balkowitsch
356 Fan

Wonderful

#64 Post by Shane Balkowitsch »

Dear Jack:

How are you? Been a while since we touched base. I am so excited to see your car coming together, to think the ORIGINAL and FIRST 356 Outlaw ever will be back on the road in glorious fashion is a tribute to you and your hard work and having the simple fortitude to hold onto the car since 1971. The car is an inspiration to us all and I am sure the car will continue to get well deserved accolades for years to come. Way to go, very happy for you.

Your fellow Outlaw,
Shane
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw
Don't Hate Me for My Outlaw Tendencies
356 Registry Member #: 31354
http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72623#72623

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#65 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Saw the car at Amelia Island today; very nice.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#66 Post by Mark Pribanic »

vic skirmants wrote:Saw the car at Amelia Island today; very nice.
X2 Vic.

I enjoyed talking with Jack. He has worked long hours to get the Kustom Karerra to Amelia. He mentioned a couple of folks who helped him get it driving in time. Unfortunately the only name I recall was Ernie Cabrerra's(sp). Here are some pics of the KK:

Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#67 Post by Jack Walter »

Here are a few from Amelia

First up - the Friday Hot Rod Lifestyle seminar

Waiting to go on the show field Sunday morning

and with the Aztec at the end of the day...

and a chance encounter at the trailer storage area

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#68 Post by Jack Walter »

Here's a little of the story behind the car's appearance at Amelia

I've uploaded a few of the Amelia pictures up to my smugmug pages:

http://solaros1.smugmug.com/My-Cars/Dea ... 6784_c4g6u

As Christy said it took quite an effort to get the car "ready" for Amelia - if you define ready fairly loosely. If you had seen the car Monday evening you would have thought "No Way is this car going to Florida in four days".

The interior guys were late - they messed up the pleats on the tuck and roll upholstery and had to remake a bunch of the interior panels so we didn't start installing the interior until Tuesday afternoon - two days before we were supposed to be leaving for Amelia. The interior installation continued right on into Thursday night.

Three of the wheels came back from the chrome plater in California - two months late - the fourth one still hasn't made it here yet.

The 4-cam motor had a hole in the #4 piston so I had to build a pushrod engine to use until the Carrera motor can be repaired. After rounding up most of the parts I needed I started that project with just over a week before we were scheduled to leave. I had to borrow some parts from friends and buy some other stuff from Al Zim, NLA and Stoddard to basically build up an engine from a set of empty cases. To further complicate matters someone (not me) had installed the cam gear incorrectly and I didn't discover that until the engine was almost completely assembled and I started to adjust the valves. After taking the motor back apart and reindexing the cam gear we finally installed the engine on Tuesday night.

The rear quarter windows were awful - especially assembling the right rear frame/weatherstripping - I NEVER want to do that job again. It took two of us to finish that job up Thursday evening.

Installing the seats was a struggle as well - the custom front kick panels interfere with the outboard corners of the seats making them almost impossible to install.

When we did fire up the engine on Thursday evening for the first time in ran great - then one of the autopulse electric fuel pumps in the nose split a bellows and started leaking fuel so we had to shut everything off. I had a mechanical pump for the pushrod engine but no phenolic spacer so I had to dispatch Ernie back to his house to bring some more fuel line, a spacer, and a spare pump while I bypassed the electric pumps. When Ernie got back I was installing the rear quarter window and other friends were helping install interior trim pieces and adjusting the clutch cable.By now it was after 11:00 PM on Thursday ( I should have been at Amelia already) and we still had stuff to do. Somehow in all the confusion and exhaustion from being up past 3:00 AM all week working on the car we hooked the two fuel lines up on the fuel pump backwards - so the car wouldn't start again.

By now its almost 2:00 AM and if I have any hope of getting the car to Amelia for the Friday afternoon seminar where Bill Warner wanted to unveil it we had to go - even if I had to push it into the ballroom. So we loaded the car in the trailer and headed southbound just before 4:00 AM - we didn't even get to wash the car first. We arrived in Fernandina at 11:00 AM and my bodyman Mike Marcelic arrived shortly after. He had volunteered to detail the car while I changed the fuel pump (again) to see if I could get the car to run. We pushed the car out of the trailer behind the Shoney's next door to the motel and Mike cleaned the car up while I tried to get it fired up - no luck as I replaced the fuel lines as they were incorrectly installed. I also looked for the winshield wipers (left behind in Atlanta) so after we got the car all shiny we pushed it back in the trailer and delivered it to the Ritz in time to stage it for the 4:00 PM Hot Rod Lifestyles seminar with Pete Chapouris, Dean Jeffries, Tommy Ivo, Don Prudhomme, and Bruce Meyer.

Bill set the car off to the left center under a black drape - it shared the floor with one of Prudhomme's rail dragsters, Tommy Ivo's four engine 4wd drag car, and the So-Cal coupe. After an entertaining hour and a half of panel discussion among these hot rod greats Bill called Dean over to pull back the cover on the Carrera and reveal it to the crowd. It was nicely spotlit and the interior looked just like the original Eddie Martinez design (pay no attention to the few missing trim pieces that we didn't have time to install) .....

Dean was extremely pleased with the result - he declared the car "Bitching" and "Really Neat" about six times - and I saw tears in his eyes again - I've got to stop making that man cry.....

The next day (Saturday) Ernie and I went down in the Ritz parking garage and figured out that the fuel lines were reversed on the pump - after correcting this error the car fired right up (plus installing a second new battery after the first one croaked). Then we discovered that the throttle pedal wouldn't move the carb linkage so we had to adjust the throttle rod - which meant removing it from underneath a car with 3 inches of ground clearance. The solution was a nearby bag of concrete which we rolled the left rear tire up onto in order to gain enough room to reach under the car and disconnect the throttle rod, make some adjustments and reinstall it. The end result was that about 5:00 PM on Saturday afternoon the Porsche moved under its own power for the first time in over 27 years in the parking deck of the Ritz Carlton at Amelia Island. Satisfied that we had the car in a condition where it could drive onto the show field under its own power the next morning we had a small celebration - I'm sure passerbys couldn't understand why we were all so elated.

I'd come very, very close to giving up at several points during the week leading up to the event - if it hadn't been for the constant encouragement of my wife Christy and the help of friends such as Neil Cawley, Mike Pado, Gordon Smith, Ray Morgan, Mark Ritter, Mike Marcelic and most especially Ernie Cabrera we would not have been at Amelia Island this year. The main driving force I had was that I did not want to disappoint Bill Warner who had given me such a tremendous opportunity and especially Dean Jeffries who was looking forward to seeing the car. As I stood in the ballroom on Friday afternoon - bleary eyed from being up for the past 36 hours - I was very glad that we were able to pull this off. Frankly most of my friends are as amazed as I am that we actually drove the car onto the field on Sunday morning.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#69 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Congrats!

David Gensler
356 Fan

#70 Post by David Gensler »

Jack,
Really great pictures and story getting the car to Amelia island in the nick of time. Have been enjoying this post for quite some time. What a fun and unique little piece of history you have.
Take care,
David Gensler
David Gensler

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#71 Post by Jack Walter »

Thanks everyone - I kept looking for a few of the Registry guys at Amelia but missed Vic and a few others. The Carrera is being photographed for an article in Excellence magazine tomorrow so I spent some time adjusting the brakes this afternoon before loading it on the trailer.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#72 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Hi, Jack,
Barbara and I hung around your car for a while, but we must have been there while you were getting coffee, or something. Thanks for bringing that car, and having it at the Hotrod Seminar.
We missed that one because of an auction conflict.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#73 Post by Jack Walter »

in the last month the car has been photographed for articles that will appear in the next issues of Excellence and Panorama magazines. Here's a picture of Leonard Turner hard at work yesterday shooting the car for Panorama...

I've also been contacted by Pat Ganahl - when he compiled the material for his latest book "Lost Hot Rods" he found he had enough material to start on a second volume and he wants to include the car in his next book. His first volume is a great read by the way for anyone interested in classic hot rods.

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#74 Post by Jack Walter »

Latest picture - a very rare opportunity to pose the Porsche with something even more spectacular...

Shane Balkowitsch
356 Fan

#75 Post by Shane Balkowitsch »

Jack Walter wrote:Latest picture - a very rare opportunity to pose the Porsche with something even more spectacular...

Dear Jack, hate to tell you my friend, but that fighter jet is not more spectacular that your Outlaw, I know that for sure, shit the goverment can pick those up for about 25 million dollars, I would like for them to find another one of your car? Just had to be said, all I am sayinig is that I would rather have your car as a daily driver than a jet anyday!

Thanks,
Shane
Shane Balkowitsch
1965 Porsche 356C Outlaw
Don't Hate Me for My Outlaw Tendencies
356 Registry Member #: 31354
http://www.btinet.net/~sharoncol/porsche356.htm
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72623#72623