Eng.case casting #’s

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Max Handley
356 Fan

Eng.case casting #’s

#1 Post by Max Handley »

Did the later as in 1964/65 Factory replacement engine cases have delete case casting #’s along with no serial # on the third piece.

Thanks Max
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Max Handley
356 Fan

Re: Eng.case casting #’s

#2 Post by Max Handley »

Found my answer.

Unnumbered replacement blocks don't have an assembly number (casting number).
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Yeah, the term "case casting number" should be relegated to the dustbin of inaccurate history. Porsche used the term "internal number". But yeah, you've found your answer. Only engines assembled at Porsche had this internal number.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

James Davies wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:01 am Yeah, the term "case casting number" should be relegated to the dustbin of inaccurate history. Porsche used the term "internal number". But yeah, you've found your answer. Only engines assembled at Porsche had this internal number.
Hate the term "case casting number". Thanks a lot, Harry.

David Pateman
356 Fan

#5 Post by David Pateman »

Agreed, I understand it to be an engine assembly serial #. I believe it was assigned sequentially as each engine was built, but was independent of the engine serial # that was linked to the type #. Given the difficulty of stamping the numbers in that location I assume the numbers were not stamped after the engine was completed. It is possible the assembler was given the numbers to stamp before he started, or at some point later when the basic engine was complete but before the tin was installed.
Blank cases would only have the mating numbers.
Contact by email

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

David Pateman wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:03 pm Agreed, I understand it to be an engine assembly serial #. I believe it was assigned sequentially as each engine was built, but was independent of the engine serial # that was linked to the type #. Given the difficulty of stamping the numbers in that location I assume the numbers were not stamped after the engine was completed. It is possible the assembler was given the numbers to stamp before he started, or at some point later when the basic engine was complete but before the tin was installed.
Blank cases would only have the mating numbers.
I totally agree.

Brendan Collins
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brendan Collins »

Has anybody seen one Where the 2 numbers at the back of the case has one number running length wise and the other number running cross the car. All 3 numbers match.
356C

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Brendan Collins wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:03 am Has anybody seen one Where the 2 numbers at the back of the case has one number running length wise and the other number running cross the car. All 3 numbers match.
356C
That is very common.

Brendan Collins
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brendan Collins »

Thanks Vic

Brendan Collins
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brendan Collins »

Hi Vic

Slightly of topic but i am sure you will know the answer, but no matter where i look no definitive answer or topic.
When ID plates went from Reutter to Porsche in 1965.
I have seen many examples of the last production numbers from 162000 onwards that have Reutter plates.

Do you or anyone know when the change occurred and did the Reutter stock run out even after the official deal finalization in May 1964?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I can't answer that. How about Brett Johnson?

Brendan Collins
356 Fan

#12 Post by Brendan Collins »

Unfortunately his book gives no clues?

Assume somebody has gone down the path?

Appears when you look at cars for sale and sold the Reutter plate continued well into 1965

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Bryan »

My 6/64 cab - 160595 - has the Porsche ID plate in the hinge cover. I’ve seen a lower number but didn’t record it.
I think I’ve heard that the change was in the 4/64 timeframe
Greg Bryan

Brendan Collins
356 Fan

#14 Post by Brendan Collins »

Thanks Greg I would be keen to know what your compliance plate in front of the fuel tank looks like. In Brett Johnsons book he shows an updated Porsche plate from Reutter plate. I have never seen the Porsche plate in real life. Then again not so many 356c in Aust.