Early Hazet 450 10x14mm wrench

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Daryl Bruhl
356 Fan

Early Hazet 450 10x14mm wrench

#1 Post by Daryl Bruhl »

Have a early Hazet 450 10x14mm and the L underline is very faint. Was told that the mold for the 10x14 450 did not have a very well defined 'L underline' Was this common for this size? I am thinking they had more then one mold. Pictures of the numbered side shows the elongated line while the plain side leave you kind of guessing. enjoy 63 super 90 sunny SoCal
100_2044 (2).JPG
100_2044 (2).JPG (166.11 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
]
Attachments
100_2051 (2).JPG
100_2051 (2).JPG (162.23 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
100_2049 (2).JPG
100_2049 (2).JPG (201.6 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
100_2047 (2).JPG
100_2047 (2).JPG (149.53 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Daryl Bruhl

Rick Albro
356 Fan

Re: Early Hazet 450 10x14mm wrench

#2 Post by Rick Albro »

Daryl,
Refer to the images:
from 1952 catalog.jpg
from 1952 catalog.jpg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 1841 times

development of a forked wrench
spaltstück gap-piece
schmiederohling wrought rohling
schmiedestuck wrought pieces
abgegratet trimmed
gefräst milled
geschliffen polished
gehartet hardened
Geplieβt rough Ground surfaces(?)plannishing
feingeplieβt fine ground surface(?)
vernickelt nickel
poliert polished
verchromt chromed

The steps in making a Hazet 450 wrench are as follows: Starting with a raw piece of metal, the metal is roughly shaped and formed. A forging press creates the first semblance of a wrench. Once the ingot completes the forging process, the wrench is trimmed and milled to give a rough profile. The wrench is polished and heat-treated to harden the metal. The wrench is then plannished or ground in a twostep process to achieve the correct dimensions and raw surface finish. The final finish either polished nickel or chrome is then applied.

Manufacturing of wrenches was made on several machines and probably in different factories, "I think for the same year, it was different wrenches HAZET produced in factories". (Alain Buchert). Later Hazet wrenches had : (1) numbers forged into the part as mentioned by Alain. For strength issues, wrenches are forgings. Early Hazet wrenches were formed in universal sizes, then the individual sizes were machined out and the sizes stamped in before heat treat. In later years, quantity runs were much more to justify forgings to exact sizes with the size designations forged in. (2) The Hazet logo is in all capital letters. (Brad Ripley)
Symmetric.jpg
Symmetric.jpg (162.75 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
Font and finish.jpg
Font and finish.jpg (699.29 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
Front and back stamping are identified by the placement of “Germany” either concurrent or opposite of the size stamping. The early Hazet catalogs describe three finishes and wrenches with these finishes exist in personal collections today. Variations of fonts also exist, with small and large versions as well as round and square versions.
underline L.jpg
underline L.jpg (371.65 KiB) Viewed 1841 times

Daryl Bruhl
356 Fan

#3 Post by Daryl Bruhl »

Thanks Rick for the additional info on hazet 450 wrenches. I see a very well defined 'L' in one of your pictures. My question is was it common for the early 10x14mm to have weak 'L" or is it just my eyes.
Daryl Bruhl

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Albro »

The simplest answer is yes some wrenches had a weak stamping, but that does not reflect weather a weak stamping of the "L" is common or not for the 10 14 "L" wrenches produced during the time of pre A Porsche tool kits. Hazet produced wrenches and other tools for many other purposes beyond Porsche tool kits. Few tool kits are complete and still with the car they came with. Completing a pre A tool kit is a challenge filled with many possible options as the variation of the tools that exist is considerable. The manufacturing process alone produces many variations complicated by multiple factories, legal status, and other factors:

"Hazet stands for the initials Ha and Zett of the name of the founder Hermann Zerver. HAZET-WERK was founded in 1868. During world war two Hazet also manufactured war related tools at a site in Schmalkalden. The local state school for ironmongery and hardware industry in 1949 was upgraded to engineering school for mechanical engineering. In 1950, Schmalkalden was dissolved into the district of Suhl. Hazet had manufacturing capabilities in Remscheid and Heinsberg. Before the Second World War, the company was the first company in Europe to introduce the nickel-chrome coating for surface protection of hand tools. The 1949 Hazet catalog first documents the trademark status of DM for the Matt vernickelt and the VerchromtüberNickel. The company holds numerous patents, for example for the HAZET Tourist, a tool case as spare wheel for the VW Beetle . The Hazet 450 wrenches used in Porsche 356 tool kits have an interesting evolution of features that distinguish these wrenches into eras of production that reflect both the legal status and the manufacturing progression."
1014L.jpg
1014L.jpg (287.71 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
51 catalog mass.jpg
51 catalog mass.jpg (76.03 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
The mass and size of the wrenche should also be considered:
1014 from Drew.jpg
1014 from Drew.jpg (99.63 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Earlier wrenches were larger in size as given in the early Hazet catalogs. A 10 14 Hazet 450 wrench produced during the time of Pre A Porsche tool kits should be about 72 grams in weight and 172 mm in length and have a nickel finish. Nickel will have a yellowish tint when viewed in natural sunlight against a white piece of paper. Chrome will be very slightly blueish or white and the burnished finish has a grayish tint. White paper also comes in various shades of white... even though we all look for simple clear answers, nothing is simple!

https://www.papersizes.org/whiteness-brightness.htm

Daryl Bruhl
356 Fan

#5 Post by Daryl Bruhl »

Rick, Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge. Very satisfied with your answer and very much appreciate the time you put into this post. Each day after reading this forum I learn a bit more about the these cars and the people behind them. Always room for more information, trying to make up what I have forgotten. Thank you all. 63 super 90 sunny SoCal
Daryl Bruhl

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#6 Post by Rick Albro »

Daryl,
May we never stop learning or give up on our passions. You asked a worthy question that took excerpts from several people such as Alain Buchert and Brad Ripley. Alain, Brad, Drew, and others have previously commented on pre A tools and wrenches in previous posts. The some of anyone's knowledge only exists because of the people who have helped them. KTF! Please share the rest of the tool kit if you have it!

...I too have forgotten more than I will ever remember! -Rick

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#7 Post by James Davies »

Yeah, it's pretty clear that the original photo in this thread is a post-1956 wrench. The early L-underlined ones have a much thinner line under the letters. It's not just the "L". And I've seen no difference between 10/14 wrenches and others in terms of the stamping. Sounds like a just-so story. Certainly there was variations in the forging process, but generally tools in a Porsche tool bag were forged around the same time and from the same factory, so should all be consistent. And from what I've seen of original pre-A tool sets, this is definitely the case.