356A Reutter Badge vs. New Reproduction

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

356A Reutter Badge vs. New Reproduction

#1 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

Can anyone tell me any discernable difference between the Original 356A export badge vs. the new Reproduction? I cannot find any differences myself, but maybe someone out there knows something I do not know (most certainly!).
356a.badge.jpg
356a.badge.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1659 times
Is the one attached in the photo original?

I am trying to buy an original, and I do not want to inadvertently by a reproduction. Does anyone have one for sale?

Thank you!
Benjamin

Dean Mayer
356 Fan

Re: 356A Reutter Badge vs. New Reproduction

#2 Post by Dean Mayer »

+1...I currently have a repro that a friend was kind enough to give me, but I am also searching for an original to replace it with.

Benjamin: Your picture looks exactly like the repro I have, so I will also be interested to know how an original might differ...

Dean
Dean Mayer
(408) 896-9140
deanmayer@gmail.com

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

A suggestion: Google "original Reutter badge". There are several pictures of them. There is also one listed on eBay and two on the Samba.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#4 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

I bought the badge above from a restorer that "took it off a car in 1962", but never put it back. I am just trying to authenticate it, I do not see a difference between the one above and the ones I found on Samba.
- Ben

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ben: if it looks exactly like the pictures of any originals, then most likely it is especially if it was taken off a car in '62. I'd put it on your car. If ever it was determined to not be original, it would be easy to remove the two rivets and speed nuts.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Benjamin Abraham
356 Fan

#6 Post by Benjamin Abraham »

Mike Wilson wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 pm Ben: if it looks exactly like the pictures of any originals, then most likely it is especially if it was taken off a car in '62. I'd put it on your car. If ever it was determined to not be original, it would be easy to remove the two rivets and speed nuts.

Mike
Thanks Mike, that's all I wanted to hear ;)