Rocker panel trim -- split ends?

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

Rocker panel trim -- split ends?

#1 Post by Brett Johnson »

Okay, this is a tougher one. Rocker panel trim decos on 1960 - 1965 cars either had metal finished rounded ends or anodized finish and split ends. I don't think there was any other variation, though I'm open to comments. If there are no comments, when did this happen? There is no info in the parts manuals and my last book doesn't give a clue either. Can we start at the T 6 and go from there? Anyone? HELP!!!!!
Brett Johnson

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

Re: Rocker panel trim -- split ends?

#2 Post by Jan Kolm »

213720 = finished ends
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Are the finished-end ones also anodized like the split-end version?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Brett Johnson »

I'm thinking anodized ones can't have finished ends.
Brett Johnson

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

#213532, split ends; anodized.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#6 Post by Robert Reed »

Brett,
I think I may be a little confused by your question. My rocker deco appears to be anodized aluminum, but the ends are fully rounded and not split. Is there any way to determine if they are anodized or not?
My car is 117668, a very early T6; I’m pretty sure that deco is original.
Bob

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Brett Johnson »

The anodizing used on 356 aluminum, leaves a smooth corrosion resistant finish to the surface with a fairly shiny appearance. If polished too much, it is possible to reach the base aluminum, which can be polished to a high luster and then oxidizes to a dull finish over time. I think the welding process used to fill the end gaps would result in a stripe or other discoloration in the area, if anodized. Perhaps, someone with superior knowledge can take over now?
Brett Johnson

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brad Ripley »

I agree with Brett. Only the 356C katalog, page 7/10 C, says quote 644 559 011 07 Ornamental trim under door, anodized unquote. Page is dated Jan 64

Only two cars reported in saying split ends anodized :
Robert Reed chassis number 117 668 built in October, 1961
Mike Wilson chassis number 213532 built May, 1963

Personally I always felt that the anodized ones started with the T-6 cars.
Anyone else with documentation?

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#9 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

As a reference:-
Herewith photos of the original rocker and bumper split end end deco strips and inserts of my `65C cab.
Attachments
Rocker.JPG
Bumper.JPG
Last edited by Wil Mittelbach on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Reed
356 Fan

#10 Post by Robert Reed »

Brad, I actually stated that my car’s deco strip is not split. After looking at the pictures that Wil posted, I would have to say that mine are not anodized.
I can remember (?) from maybe 35 years ago that with all the trim off the car, my wife and I polishing them with bronze wool. They were quite “lustrous “ for a while. I guess the question as to worked metal versus anodized had me a bit befuddled, I must apologize for any misunderstanding.

Brad, since I have never procured a COA, is there an actual birthday available with the October 1961 timeframe? (I’ve used my “extra” money to get back to driving it :))
Bob

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#11 Post by JohnPierce »

Karmann S-90 Coupe 211023 finished ends, non-anodized.
1963 B T6 Project

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Nelson »

Brad’s comments from 2013:
“356B T-5 deco strips were polished alum with welded ends. Bumper and rocker strips were the same width. Vinyl inserts were extruded and molded on each end. Vinyl edge beading had a pinking cut on each end to allow it to fit better around the end curve. Those vinyl pieces were glossy. The strips quickly corroded and dulled which probably prompted the next change and some warranty claims.

Somewhere along the 356B T-6 production the vendor (Happich) changed the design to eliminate the welded ends to a formed end with a split. At the same time the finish was changed to the much more durable brite dip anodize process. If the ends had been welded, the anodize process would show a dark spot at the weld point, hence the formed/split ends. The vinyl insert and edge beading remained the same.

As for documentation of the T-6 change, I don't have any; my conclusions are from personal observation over the years of original cars. However, the 356C Parts Catalog (pages dated 1/64) clearly lists the deco strips as "anodized" for both bumper and rocker strips. So, for sure 356C cars had the anodized strips. The only way to determine the change would be access to Porsche records and/or Happich records if existing. “

So when we were refer to the welded-up decos, they would be correct for T5 to some unknown time during early T6 production.

Cab #158420, May 1963, has welded up ends.

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#13 Post by Brett Johnson »

Anybody after May 1963 without split ends or before with? I appreciate the fact that changes like this don't happen all at once. I just look for first use to be able to establish a time period that can be used by people who have nothing (or incorrectly restored cars) to decide how to restore their car. In this particular case, a car with welded ends is more unlikely to have been incorrectly restored.
Brett Johnson

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#14 Post by Phil Planck »

122936 63 coupe had split ends. Dont have CofA so dont know production date
Phil Planck

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#15 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello everyone,

I hope you're sitting comfortably here's a story of originality.......... or not

30ish years ago I didn't put back on the deco strips that we'd taken off our T5 B (10544 born 1.3.60), as I wasn't sure if they were original and I wasn't too keen on drilling holes in my nice new sills. Now however, soooooo many years later, (only last week to be exact), I decided they are correct so they are going back on. Well, to be honest, I've asked PR Services to do it as they are doing a wonderful job with the gearbox & a few/many other bits & bobs I never got around to over the years. Well, you know how it is, you get to a point when you say it's MOT'd, roadworthy and safe, I'll just drive her for a bit and I'll do those little bits and bobs, in a few days, when I've had some fun driving her. Then weeks/months/years go by, she's still driveable, safe & MOT'd and those bits & bobs just don't get done, n'est pas.

So she's with PR Services getting all that stuff done and having decided, on the balance of probabilities, the deco strips are correct, I'll send them to PR Sevices to put them on. Then we have the 'Aarragh jasysus christ fer feck sake' moment, 30 years to make up me mind and then someone comes up with the great idea to find out exactly what chassis number did the split appear/disappear, who asked Houdini to get involved, well all I have to say is bollocks to it 'Paul drill the holes, put them on, and feck the begrudgers'.

V
PS
Said with a big grin on my face
V. Gillespie