% premium on numbers matching

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Rod R Youssefi
356 Fan

% premium on numbers matching

#1 Post by Rod R Youssefi »

I understand there is a significant premium placed on a 356 being numbers matching VIN, engine, and transmission but have not been given a good idea of what that % premium is .... everything else being equal. Hagerty does not specify that with their valuation tool as they focus mainly on condition. Any thoughts?

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

Re: % premium on numbers matching

#2 Post by Roy Smalley »

My opinion. Generally. It depends on the car and how collectible.

For example, if it is a C and has the incorrect engine the significance is not great when compared to a similar car with the correct engine. On the other hand if it is, say, a 356 Carrera with a non numbers matching engine, compared to a similar car with a numbers matching car, then the significance in terms of $$ is substantial.

A numbers matching S-90 Roadster as another example, even a single grill is worth substantially more than an N or S because there were so few.

If you are a "collector" and want to retain maximum value, more than likely you will not consider a car that has the incorrect engine or perhaps other items that are not "original' to the car.

Of course it is purely hypothetical to come up with a percentage range or a $$ range in a general sense. But for the less collectible car, say 15-20% differential up to, maybe, double the potential value for a very collectible car.

Condition is another very important factor, as is color in and out. If a car has in period race history with a significant pedigree, that is anyone's guess but in the mind of the serious collector, very significant.

Personally, I had rather anytime, have a speedster/roadster with an incorrect S-90 or SC or 912 engine.

RoySmalley
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

The big jump, value wise, in numbers matching cars is because the top collectors won't even look at a car if it's not numbers matching. I have buyers that I could show them Ferry Porsche's Porsche that Jesus and Ghandi had dinner in, and their first question would be, "Is it matching numbers?" But if it is matching numbers these guys will pay and pay heavy. Which is why you will see a 20-30% jump in value to a comparable non-matching car.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Rod R Youssefi
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rod R Youssefi »

Great info. I appreciate it

Eugene Gouws
356 Fan

#5 Post by Eugene Gouws »

I have a 1958 speedster that has some racing history between 1058 and 1963. The birth certificate maintained by the factory shows the car originally had engine number 68346; which was replaced by 800196 in 1960 and in 1962 by P602177. If all these were replaced by Porsche and registered on the birth certificate, is only 68346 the matching number?

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender »

Yup.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

I think we should have different definitions of nos matching.
1. totally original
2. reunited with the actual components that had a vacation
3. renumbered period correct
4. obvious fakes
j

Harry Shriver
356 Fan

#8 Post by Harry Shriver »

Interesting that no one talks about matching numbers on body parts.

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#9 Post by Spike Jones »

I always understood that #'s matching included body panels stamped with the last 3? numbers of the VIN as well as mechanical components per the COA. Am I wrong?
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

My preference is a car with as much factory original body structure as possible. Usually this is pretty easy to spot if you know what you are looking at. The essence of the Porsche 356 is the body unit which is the basis of the sensual pleasures the car delivers both visually and dynamically. Any lump of engine or transmission can be made to function like factory new with the use of quality replacement parts. Unfortunately today the vast majority of body restorers are incapable of approaching the quality of the factory craftsmen. Screw the easily forged matching stamped numbers of the engine and transmission. Buy as close to virgin a body as you can find and experience the real "original".
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Richard Emerson »

I make exceptions for cars that raced that had their engines replaced in period either due to race damage/swapping or due to warranty claims and so marked on the kardex. Given the nature of racing that’s just the way it was. No discount.

Max Handley
356 Fan

#12 Post by Max Handley »

CJ

I totally agree with your analysis. The body integrity if near perfect along with all original matching components you have the best of all worlds. My 59 Cabriolet is such a car and to me it’s a rare treasure indeed.
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net