% premium on numbers matching

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Rod R Youssefi
356 Fan

% premium on numbers matching

#1 Post by Rod R Youssefi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:13 pm

I understand there is a significant premium placed on a 356 being numbers matching VIN, engine, and transmission but have not been given a good idea of what that % premium is .... everything else being equal. Hagerty does not specify that with their valuation tool as they focus mainly on condition. Any thoughts?

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

Re: % premium on numbers matching

#2 Post by Roy Smalley » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:41 pm

My opinion. Generally. It depends on the car and how collectible.

For example, if it is a C and has the incorrect engine the significance is not great when compared to a similar car with the correct engine. On the other hand if it is, say, a 356 Carrera with a non numbers matching engine, compared to a similar car with a numbers matching car, then the significance in terms of $$ is substantial.

A numbers matching S-90 Roadster as another example, even a single grill is worth substantially more than an N or S because there were so few.

If you are a "collector" and want to retain maximum value, more than likely you will not consider a car that has the incorrect engine or perhaps other items that are not "original' to the car.

Of course it is purely hypothetical to come up with a percentage range or a $$ range in a general sense. But for the less collectible car, say 15-20% differential up to, maybe, double the potential value for a very collectible car.

Condition is another very important factor, as is color in and out. If a car has in period race history with a significant pedigree, that is anyone's guess but in the mind of the serious collector, very significant.

Personally, I had rather anytime, have a speedster/roadster with an incorrect S-90 or SC or 912 engine.

RoySmalley
 Roy Smalley
Texas

Adam Wright
356 Fan
Tag: KTF

#3 Post by Adam Wright » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:05 pm

The big jump, value wise, in numbers matching cars is because the top collectors won't even look at a car if it's not numbers matching. I have buyers that I could show them Ferry Porsche's Porsche that Jesus and Ghandi had dinner in, and their first question would be, "Is it matching numbers?" But if it is matching numbers these guys will pay and pay heavy. Which is why you will see a 20-30% jump in value to a comparable non-matching car.
I always need stories for my Barn Find column in the magazine, if you have a good story to share, please let me know.

Rod R Youssefi
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rod R Youssefi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Great info. I appreciate it