It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:13 pm 
356 Fan

I understand there is a significant premium placed on a 356 being numbers matching VIN, engine, and transmission but have not been given a good idea of what that % premium is .... everything else being equal. Hagerty does not specify that with their valuation tool as they focus mainly on condition. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:41 pm 
356 Fan

My opinion. Generally. It depends on the car and how collectible.

For example, if it is a C and has the incorrect engine the significance is not great when compared to a similar car with the correct engine. On the other hand if it is, say, a 356 Carrera with a non numbers matching engine, compared to a similar car with a numbers matching car, then the significance in terms of $$ is substantial.

A numbers matching S-90 Roadster as another example, even a single grill is worth substantially more than an N or S because there were so few.

If you are a "collector" and want to retain maximum value, more than likely you will not consider a car that has the incorrect engine or perhaps other items that are not "original' to the car.

Of course it is purely hypothetical to come up with a percentage range or a $$ range in a general sense. But for the less collectible car, say 15-20% differential up to, maybe, double the potential value for a very collectible car.

Condition is another very important factor, as is color in and out. If a car has in period race history with a significant pedigree, that is anyone's guess but in the mind of the serious collector, very significant.

Personally, I had rather anytime, have a speedster/roadster with an incorrect S-90 or SC or 912 engine.

RoySmalley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:05 pm 
356 Fan

Tag: KTF
The big jump, value wise, in numbers matching cars is because the top collectors won't even look at a car if it's not numbers matching. I have buyers that I could show them Ferry Porsche's Porsche that Jesus and Ghandi had dinner in, and their first question would be, "Is it matching numbers?" But if it is matching numbers these guys will pay and pay heavy. Which is why you will see a 20-30% jump in value to a comparable non-matching car.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:46 pm 
356 Fan

Great info. I appreciate it