Authenticity Book IV

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

Authenticity Book IV

#1 Post by Brett Johnson »

It has been 21 long years since the third version of my 356 Authenticity book was first published. There was one minor update of the chassis number list along the way, but that was pretty much it. I've threatened to update it every now and then (and even started on it a few years back), but then we had a family and I bought a 1936 Cord, of all things.

In the last couple of weeks, while discussing yet another reprint, the news was passed along that all of the printing materials had been discarded when the printing company changed hands. Not the first time this has happened...

So, to make a long story less boring, I need to proceed with current technology and put together an updated, more detailed, mostly color book. I'll need input from those of you who would be interested in helping. I'm planning to include sections on major mechanical areas, not previously covered. It will be necessary to concentrate on significant areas of change and let this forum and others deal with arcane detail, due to the practicality of producing a useful, affordable non-encyclopedic book.

In the olden days, I used questionnaires in the magazine and people would send me letters and photos. I suspect it will be a little quicker with today's information exchange options. As I review the current book, I'll try to get started on this.

I'll need input on what should be included that is currently not, what should be more detailed and people who are interested in reviewing all or parts of the text prior to publication. If anyone has specific areas of expertise in things like tool kits or whatever, feel free to let me know. All previous books were done in this way and I think they turned out okay.

Photos are also needed. I have a bunch (thousands actually) of 20+ year old transparencies ('member those) that for inclusion will need a fair amount of Photoshopping to remove dirt. Most of these are not detailed enough to show smaller items. I'll need jpeg images that are in focus and of sufficient resolution for publication. Most phones do a fine job of that these days. As the text is written I'll have a better idea of what I need. In the last book, I used images from every contributor and gave credits up front in the book. If you don't think your car is "authentic enough" you'd be surprised about what I included last time. I do make every effort to crop out the non- authentic items if the image contains the thing I'm looking for. Because of today's ease of information exchange I won't be shy about asking for a different angle, better lighting etc.

So, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Long overdue idea?

If you prefer to contact me directly, my e-mail is the same as it always has been: 356drb@indy.net
Brett Johnson

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

Re: Authenticity Book IV

#2 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Hey Brett,
Great idea!
Although it must be a TON of work or your side.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Great idea Brett. I'll volunteer for mechanical detail review. No painted oil filter inlet fittings!

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Brett Johnson »

Thanks Vic! Mechanical details are not my forté. I appreciate any input.
Brett Johnson

Eric Lenius
356 Fan
Tag: More is More

#5 Post by Eric Lenius »

Brett!

This is amazing news! I for one will be looking for opportunities to help. This is a gargantuan task!

By the way, 1936 Cords are cool.......

Regards,

Eric Lenius

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Brett:
This is a 'UGE task, and we all hope that you can get this done, as a newer version would be a great resource, especially in color; I have your 1997 edition and would welcome an update. Check out Ingram for their POD program, as they state that it is now photo-quality like offset printing has been.

For a topic, I would request more on front turn-signal lights: photos, numbers, changeover dates. I find the parts book inscrutable.
Best wishes,
=rdsieber

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Brett Johnson »

Yes, regrettably lots of fake news in the parts books -- headlights are another example. Today, the biggest problem is improperly restored/maintained cars. This was not as bad in the 1980s/90s.
Brett Johnson

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Great news Brett! I would be glad to help out, review, etc. for pre-A related stuff.

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Brett Johnson »

I'm reasonably photo deficient on early cars in reasonable condition. I've got hundreds of #5142 and have #54205 sitting in the garage. 1952 - 1954 cars, please bring 'em on. I'll offer up proofing to those who express interest when material is added. In the interim, please feel free to comment on things you think have been omitted or need additional detail or clarification. If you have information to share currently, that is also welcome.
Brett Johnson

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#10 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Superb news, I am always checking stuff in both my editions during the looooong rebuild of our '55.

VCG
V. Gillespie

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#11 Post by Nanette Reid »

This is indeed great news!!

Was only thinking about this last week, wondering if you may do another edition at some stage. I have editions II and III, so IV would be super, especially as a colour version.

Happy to supply photos of my 59 Coupe.

Cheers!!

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#12 Post by William Block »

www.BLOCKS-BOOKS.com still has a few PORSCHE 356 RESTORER'S GUIDE TO AUTHENTICITY
1st edition
&
rev 2 hard, signed, numbered (but no dust cover).
see web site
bill
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#13 Post by Tom Tate »

Great news, I would vote for detailed coverage of engine changes as the years went along. Vic is the pro in that area and it would probably reduce the number of calls he gets every week with club member questions. KTF

Tom Scott
356 Fan

#14 Post by Tom Scott »

Hey Brett. Great Idea for another Authenticity book!!!! However, a word of caution if I may. The only absolutely correct source of any authenticity issue is an unrestored example. There are too many 'all original' cars which have 'only' been 'repainted', or 'some upgrades', etc. Let me know if I can help. Best regards and good luck. Tom Scott
Last edited by Tom Scott on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Johnson
Registry Hall of Fame

#15 Post by Brett Johnson »

Hi Tom! I'll keep you in the loop. Philosophically, in my interpretation the purpose of an authenticity text is to provide the information to either determine authenticity or provide guidelines for achieving it. This is increasingly difficult as time passes due to the "originality issues" you mention. Tapping the combined knowledge of this forum will help. I try to crop photography included to edit out inappropriate things.

I'm hoping to add detail to information contained in previous editions without being excessively trivial -- a fine line...

The avatar Buick got a survivor award at the Custom Car Revival in 2017 -- sorry, off topic...
Brett Johnson