VIN NUMBERS

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Javier prado
356 Fan

VIN NUMBERS

#1 Post by Javier prado »

How much information can you get out of the VIN number and how do you get it? I’m about to start restoring a 356B and need access to as much info as possible

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: VIN NUMBERS

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

COA through PCNA or Kardex try elevenparts.com Supposedly COA is from the information on Kardex. production date interior/exterior colors. engine and transmission numbers it left the factory with and options such as radio, sunroof,chrome wheels.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

Javier:
Start here with your chassis number. Previous owner may have recorded useful info into the database already.
http://www.356a.com/
Access to the database is also available on the Registry home page under VIN DB - without some of the owner history & comments.

Kardex is generally the best source of information as the COA from Porsche sometimes have major errors on them. You can also order a certificate of production from Erlkonig Classic
https://erlkoenig-classic.de/en/Reutter ... cuk4uv92g5
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Javier prado
356 Fan

#4 Post by Javier prado »

THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Nelson »

Did Porsche not change their policy regarding providing engine and transmission numbers ? Are they providing them again instead of just confirming the numbers if you have them ?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You are correct Jim about COA from PCNA. They will confirm or not the numbers you provide. Kardex if you get it from a source does still provide original as far as I know.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.