Green Interior Restoration Advice Please - 1959 356A

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
David Twiss
356 Fan

Green Interior Restoration Advice Please - 1959 356A

#1 Post by David Twiss »

Interior questions 1959 356 A
I’m asking for some assistance from learned members.
I am restoring a barn fine Aussie delivered matching numbers 1959 T2 356A Coupe. The car is in remarkable good condition and has been of the road since 1964!
The exterior colour is metallic silver 5706 with a green vinyl interior.
The car will be subject to a complete body restoration which will necessitate some minor panel work and a full respray in the original colour.
Thankfully the floors, longitudinals, battery box and other rust prone areas are all rust free.
I’m keen to keep the car as original as possible and have a number of questions
1. The original green vinyl interior is in remarkable condition for its age and the plan at least initially is to see how it comes up after some restoration work. If however the end result doesn’t met with our expectations we will look for an aftermarket alternative. Now the original green colour is a dark bottle type green and aftermarket suppliers either don’t offer green at all or the green they offer is lighter in shade. Has anybody encountered this problem and if so what have they done to address this issue? The car will receive new oatmeal carpets and a new headliner. Luv to hear from anyone with a green interior.
2. The top of the door strip is dark shade of green to match the green door card. Does anyone know what paint code this is?
3. What is the paint code for the steering column tube?
That’s it for now.
Thanks in advance

David
David Twiss
1959 T2 356A Coupe
1997 993 C2S
1999 996.1 GT3
2016 981 Spyder

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Green Interior Restoration Advice Please - 1959 356A

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

David a friend restored this car with interior from Auto's International. http://www.huntingridgemotors.com/vehic ... cabriolet/ And another friend is currently restoring the 356C his wife bought while in college in the early 70's. Irish green/fawn. The fawn was not a match to any current inventory so my friend sent them a small piece and they matched his original door cards almost perfectly. See his link here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44885 I am sure most vendors could do the same for you. Also the green offered by Auto's is lighter in leather, darker in regular vinyl.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Hi David,

None of the aftermarket vinyls or leathers match what Reutter used - color, texture or gloss. You might get lucky on the vinyls if you really search, but it will be a long process. If the original vinyl can be restored, use it, as it seems is your inclination. Better yet if it has a bit of patina. It can always be recolored in places if needed, especially if there is sun damage.

Have your painter match the dark green paint with whatever paint system he uses. You have the original right there. That's the only way to get it spot on, as paint manufacturers formulas vary and change over time.

Jim Stephenson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Stephenson »

Hi David,

I have a 59 S Sunroof coupe 356A and I recently finished the restoration Silver/Green with Green Cord inserts per Kardex.

Feel free to contact me directly spencer356@twc.com and I would be happy to share my thoughts on trying to match up original interior. I did quite a bit of research and I am happy with my final results.

I look forward to hearing from you .

Thank You,
Jim Stephenson

David Twiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by David Twiss »

Thanks Doug, James and Jim for your kind replies.

I will know in a couple of days whether the original green vinyl interior can be used after it has been property cleaned and assessed.

In the meantime I have a lead on a potential supply of the original green vinyl upholstery material from a former motor trimmer here in Melbourne which used to undertake work for the Porsche distributor. Its a small supply be it just maybe enough to repair any minor nicks and tears. Its a cool color and I'd like to retain it if a all possible. Jim I'll be in touch

Thanks again David
David Twiss
1959 T2 356A Coupe
1997 993 C2S
1999 996.1 GT3
2016 981 Spyder

Bob Watts
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bob Watts »

David,

Are you looking for a new carpet kit?