Porsche Classic´s Reutter key fob

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Ricardo Alarcon
356 Fan

Porsche Classic´s Reutter key fob

#1 Post by Ricardo Alarcon »

Hello
I don´t know if you have received the latest e-catalog from Porsche Classic but I am really surprised that they have decided to do a reissue of the old Porsche/Reutter leather keyfob. I haven´t been able to get the price for it but it is confirmed that is available in the factory catalog and warehouses.
Do you think that this modern edition will affect the price of the desirable old keyfob?
Attachments
Porsche Classic Product News 03-2015-page-008.jpg
Porsche Classic Product News 03-2015-page-001.jpg
Ricardo Alarcón
1963 Coupe

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: Porsche Classic´s Reutter key fob

#2 Post by Emil Wojcik »

It depends on what you mean by "affect the price of the desirable old keyfob".

If you think it may drive prices for originals down, I strongly doubt it. But it may have a very slight chance of driving prices up for an original.

I equate it to fiberglass Speedsters. When the repros first came out, it was in response to the demand for originals, since not everyone could have an original. But the repros started to attract people that had almost no knowledge of the original--they acted as an introduction to the 356 for some.

I, for one, wouldn't have a 356 today if I wasn't initiated to them through the fiberglass fakes circulating around the VW circuit back in the early '80s. Back then I would have been happy with a repro. But that desire soon waned when I realized I wouldn't be satisfied with a copy.

So, for the key fob, I think some will buy one but this will just end up making them want to own an original even more. So, maybe, the price of an original will go up.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ned Gorski »

These fobs have been on ebay for about a year now they sell for $90 bin
They are stamped like the 356 pre 356b reutter fobs but sized like the later larger post 356b Fobs
actually a very smart ploy this way they can not be confused with the originals
i will add a picture later when i get home to show the difference ( yes i bought one for my spare set of keys).. as for pricing the original fobs have been selling for pretty much the same over the past 4 years.

Regards Ned

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Wildrick »

The Registry's Goodie Store has been selling repros of these for years, currently at $20.

If you're a serious collector, you know the difference, so what's the big deal?
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#5 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I think the Goodie Store only sells them with the 356 Registry logo on them but I could be wrong.

But either way, I agree, a collector will know the difference anyway so an original will always bring top dollar.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#6 Post by Edwin Ek »

At least Porsche is trying a little.

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#7 Post by David Nicholls »

Sierramadrecollection has

"Original Karosserie Reutter
Schlusselmappen Key Pouch"
in various colours, (to match the interior of your 356 ?)
for $109.95
Irresistible !!!

They also have
Door & Ignition Key Blanks, K100 (early) and K300 (later) with PORSCHE on them
for $24.78
Irresistible !!!

Regards,
David
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ned Gorski »

The red one is a 58 NOS . The blue one is the new Reutter fob nice but made so it cant be confused with an original even the chain size is slightly different. ..i dont believe any of the original big fobs ever carried the Reutter stamp
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-08-03-22-27-39.png
Screenshot_2015-08-03-22-27-16.png
Screenshot_2015-08-03-22-27-39.png

Ricardo Alarcon
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ricardo Alarcon »

Thanks for your comments. There are really a lot of differences between this new "official" edition and the original one.

Here some photos of my original that I bought from Paul Hatfield.
Attachments
P356-4-llavero.jpg
P356-3-llavero.jpg
P356-2-llavero.jpg
P356-1-llavero.jpg
Ricardo Alarcón
1963 Coupe

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#10 Post by Harold Singh »

Interesting. I had a different point of view. When I first saw this factory edition repro, I decided that I should buy the Sierra Madre version before those become no longer licensed for only $24. Both are reproductions and I'd rather buy the $24 one.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Emil Wojcik wrote:I think the Goodie Store only sells them with the 356 Registry logo on them but I could be wrong.

But either way, I agree, a collector will know the difference anyway so an original will always bring top dollar.
You are right, I didn't take a close look at the Goodie Store item.
I have a tan one (probable repro) that came with my 65C coupe in 2000. It looks like the Sierra Madre version, with the Porsche (not Reutter) logo on it, which sells for $29.95.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Alton »

Ned Gorski wrote:These fobs have been on ebay for about a year now they sell for $90 bin
They are stamped like the 356 pre 356b reutter fobs but sized like the later larger post 356b Fobs
actually a very smart ploy this way they can not be confused with the originals
i will add a picture later when i get home to show the difference ( yes i bought one for my spare set of keys).. as for pricing the original fobs have been selling for pretty much the same over the past 4 years.

Regards Ned
Ned,

Could you tell us the exact dimensions? Most of us don't have original pre-356B and post 356B key fobs lying around for comparison.

There have long been both inexpensive and high-fidelity reproductions. Here are photos of mine:
IMG_3648_ps.jpg
IMG_3650_ps.jpg
The one without the proper curlicue has been available as long as I've been involved with 356s and sells for $ 25, give or take.

The one with the curlicue cost me a bit over $ 100. Unlike the cheap one it's lined with separate pieces of leather. I believe I got it from the person who first made (or commissioned) them but I can't recall who that was. I think the high-fidelity reproductions have been around for five-six years or so,

I added a brass-colored keyring to the curlicue because that's what Porsche did on a 356B/C era brochure. I still haven't used it.

As to the effect on the value of the originals, it might result in a few fewer folks chasing them with wads of hundred dollar bills. If I recall correctly, the highest price I saw for an original key fob--something North of $ 3,000--was before the high-fidelity reproductions appeared. But, I don't follow key fob prices with religious zeal.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ned Gorski »

Jim

sadly i just sold that nos red key fob, mailed it out yesterday, So i cannot take a measurement.. but your fob on the left looks to be one of the short run that was commissioned by Stewart zeh. He was heavy into porsches a few years back. Stu collects all kinds of cars, he Restored that amazing black 50 cab that went to the porsche factory collection. I've bought sold and traded many fobs over the years. in my opinion Stewart's fob is the closest to original.. The inside is close to original but still a little different and the stitching on the originals never crossed over the chain like it does on your fob .. i think that was done on purpose so it cant be confused with an original.

Regards Ned
Last edited by Ned Gorski on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Shouldn't the keys go INSIDE the fob?

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#15 Post by DonCichocki »

+1 what Vic said. The second post by David Nicholls looks correct. When not in use the keys go inside the fob.